Register

The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Just had a late lunch ,... grated cheese, (mixed strong and aged very mature cheddar) with some pimped up mayo I had made the other week with BREAD AND BUTTER pickle that I made this morning ... :yum :yum :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Excellent-isimo!

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Another vote for cheese and tomato. Mature or aged thickish Cheddar slices, to form the bed for the tom slices. White pappy bread and maybe a red onion slice as a side garnish.

Favourite though is crumbly slices of Wensleydale, Lancashire or Caerphilly on plain granary bread chunks with piccalilli.

Grated is better if for melting on toast (with tom on top) as it seems to melt more evenly.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 am

I really like Caerphilly but I haven't seen it for years.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:08 am

Me too - it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:15 am

I see Caerphilly is in Asda, but seemingly not Sainsbury, Waitrose or Tesco. I wonder why?
https://groceries.asda.com/product/whit ... 0001331080

Or online, though costly plus carriage.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 am

So getting back to the main question:
I don´t think there IS a perfect cheese sandwich; at least, not on the Felicity Scale. 8-) There are far too many variables. First of all, it depends on what bread you use. Sandwich bread? Wonder loaf? A baguette? Ciabatta? Rye?
Secondly, the cheese . If it´s a hard cheese - to grate, or not to grate? If it´s a crumbly cheese -why bother? If it´s a creamy cheese - how do you grate it? If it´s a soft cheese (ie. crotton, goat cheese, cream cheese) - what?
Then there´s the issue of whether you butter your bread first. Believe me - there are places that do not!
Do you toast the bread lightly - or do you toast the entire sarnie?
What goes well with: Cheddar? Double Gloucester? Caerphilly? Stilton? Stinking Bishop?
An infinite conundrum!

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 am

That's odd - if I search for it on Asda's website, I can't find it whether I do keyword search or go through the tabs. This is the message that I get :
We can't find any results for "ASDA Caerphilly Cheese", sorry about that.. Yet the link works. I rarely shop in Asda but might have an expedition there to see if I can find it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:23 pm

When I try that link it comes back "Item unavailable" with a lovely picture of it - that has happened quite a bit recently to things that I used to get quite regularly, like quinoa and giant couscous and certain brands of peanut butter.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Just noticed that the page I get taken to when I use the link does show the product, but says "Item unavailable".

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Thus far in my experiences with Asda since I started using them about 3 months ago, unavailable items have never become available again - might just be my bad luck.

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:09 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:So getting back to the main question:
I don´t think there IS a perfect cheese sandwich; at least, not on the Felicity Scale. 8-)

The question was actually - grated or sliced? :lol:
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Suelle wrote:
karadekoolaid wrote:So getting back to the main question:
I don´t think there IS a perfect cheese sandwich; at least, not on the Felicity Scale. 8-)

I think the consensus was .... ‘that all depends on .... ‘. :lol:

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Cheddar & Branston
Cheddar & Tomato
Cheddar & Coleslaw

In that order. The more mature the cheese, the better.

Camembert & Plain Crisps is also very nice :)

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

I’m a bit funny about the texture of cheese with a lot of bread , so I’d probably go for a baguette or crusty roll with sliced extra mature cheddar , some chutney or onion marmalade and an apple on the side . A constructed ploughman’s if you like . Pickled onions in with the cheese go nicely particularly the red ones

Postby Lokelani » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Ideally sliced as I don't tend to mix with mayo or anything like that.

However, I buy the strongest, most vintage cheddar I can & they tend to crumble so it's usually halfway between sliced & grated & all falls out when we eat them!

It probably doesn't help that I don't butter the bread if there's another fat in the sarnie, like cheese, or mayo in tuna mayo etc. I'm sure I should be skinny, but I'm not!!! :lol: Probably because I love cheese, way more than chocolate.

Cheese & marmite, cheese & onion, cheese & ham.

I discovered M&S marmite cream cheese from Ocado this week, oh dear. It is sooo amazingly yummy it's untrue. Really, really savoury. I'm sure it would be cheaper to blend the two together yourself, but it's just so easy & in just the right proportion. I haven't succumbed to the Marmite butter yet, that seems easier somehow to make myself.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:13 pm

I think the consensus was .... ‘that all depends on .... ‘. :lol:

Exactly!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:33 pm

I once went to a tasting seminar - Scotch whisky, specifically Johhny Walker Black Label. the guy who directed the tasting (Habib)was the Latin American expert for Johnny Walker. We tasted 7 of the (many) different whiskies which went into the blend, and then there were questions.
One person stated, rather categorically: " Is it true that whisky should only be drunk neat, or with a drop of water?"
( A hilarious question, really, because in Venezuela, you fill a glass with ice, add some scotch, and then top it up with water)
Habib threw the question back at us. "How do you like it?"
Most people said neat, or with water, or with soda.
Then someone at the back timidly raised their hand and said " I like it with coke. Is that acceptable?"
Habib said: " what ever rocks your boat. If you like it with lemonade, that´s your choice"

So the cheese sandwich question is there, isn´t it? :gonzo

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:18 am

You might have hit on something there, I mean is there a spirit that goes with cheese (whichever cheese)? The usual suspects are wine/port, cider, beer, even Guinness or stout, but spirit? I suppose cocktails like pina colada or Pimm's No 1 (though not much spirit in them).

I grate grate-able cheese if it's for the freezer (shallow layer in bag), though wrapping 1" blocks in Reynold's freezer paper then bags works well.

I did first think grate or not - who cares? but replies are quite interesting :)

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:30 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Then someone at the back timidly raised their hand and said " I like it with coke. Is that acceptable?"
Habib said: " what ever rocks your boat. If you like it with lemonade, that´s your choice"

i'n not a whisky drinker - i've only had one that i thought was really nice neat - the only other time one was palatable was when mixed with grapefruit juice.
my partner isn't much of a whisky drinker (or alcohol in general, really) but was given a bottle of aged bowmore when he retired. when it'd been on the shelf for some years with only a little gone some of it was used to make 'baileys' and the rest of the bottle was given to our son in law, who really liked it.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox