Register

Suet pastry

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Suet pastry

Postby cherrytree » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:51 pm

The lemon is there inside the pudding. You can eat it if you want. It’s quite nice actually.

Postby aero280 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 pm

I have always wondered why a lemon would figure in a “Sussex” pudding? Unless it was a smuggler’s perk...

My mother used to make a suet pastry “tray bake” as a side dish to soak up gravy. A bit like bread would be, but it had a harder crust. The local name for it was “Ruckle Pudding”. It was usually made with the trimming from the steamed steak and kidney pie just put in a small pie dish and baked.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:35 pm

My mother occasionally used to make steamed suet pastry and tried baking it occasionally.. We quite like her steamed sponges but the suet wasn't a great success, neither dad nor I was ever a fan of the Great British Stodge

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:47 pm

My mother never made steamed puddings. Luckily, we had divine steamed puddings at school and a friend's mother made steak and kidney puds to die for (never tasted any so good since). During my married years MIL invariably produced wonderful suet puddings for our fortnightly lunch visits, especially spotted dick. In that family they all came under the title of 'suety pudd'n' and you never knew what sort it was going to be. That was enough for the children's culinary education and I didn't bother making them myself and steaming the house out. I suppose a dehumidifier would be an excellent thing to have for that!
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:56 pm

smitch wrote:I don’t feel deprived at all

me neither. my mother attempted/made them reasonably (too) often from what i remember - but i wish she hadn't.
karadekoolaid wrote:School lunches frequently figured Spotted Dick, Jam Roly Poly and snake & kiddly with a suet crust.
Fortunately I haven´t had to eat any of them for more than 50 years. Definitely NOT my cup of tea.

snap - and never made them - not even with veg suet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 pm

aero280 wrote:I have always wondered why a lemon would figure in a “Sussex” pudding? Unless it was a smuggler’s perk...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_pond_pudding
Rather interesting - according to this, the first mention of lemons was via Jane Grigson in 1974!

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Steamed puds can be very delectable but I've rarely ever used suet. Butter works just fine and even tastes a lot nicer IMO ÷)

Interesting re lemons and pond pudding, EM.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Rather interesting - according to this, the first mention of lemons was via Jane Grigson in 1974!

That's very much "according to Wiki" - my mother made Sussex pond pudding, with lemon in the 60s - it can't have been as late as 1974 as I'd left home by then abd they definitely featured during my school days

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox