Register

Repertoire

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Repertoire

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Interesting Amy. I am the least fussy eater I know but I absolutely can’t be doing with veggie sausages. My sausages have to be oozing with pork and squelching with fat.

Postby Busybee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:17 pm

Linda McCartney red onion and something veggie sausages are lush. Fortunately I’m the only person in our house who will eat them, but I do tend to love our local butchers sausages, just the right amount of fat and seasoning.

We often have a ‘breakfast’ tea on a Thursday night for some reason, complete with fried up bubble and squeak leftover vegetables. Simple, but enjoyable.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:28 pm

I was never keen on meat sausages. My mother possibly only bought cheap ones, when I lived at home, but not convinced that's it. A fat and meat combo made me feel sick. Lamb chops were the worst. I think my dislike of meat sausages has made me less enthused about veggie ones by association, than I might otherwise be, but then not keen on burgers and all that gubbins either.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:35 pm

BB, I don’t like the Linda ones at all. Slimming World was dead keen but I found them very dry.

I don’t think I’ll ever be a vegetarian.

Postby smitch » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm not keen on the red onion version, but like the normal Lindas. I don't find them dry at all. I've been getting the vegan Richmond sausages recently, they remind me of school dinners (in a good way!).

Postby Amyw » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:26 pm

I like the Linda ones but find they’re better in a casserole or with gravy as part of a roast dinner . I agree the Richmond ones have that cheap naughty feel to them (in a good way). I like them with homemade oven chips and spiced up baked beans

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Good list KKDA - laughed at your dismay of Venezuelan heat aversion- mind you, you're a self described chilihead! I like heat but not in extreme. I can't do mega scoville units. Do you get a decent supply of Asian ingredients?

The Koosmali sounds really good - love whole toasted spices in dishes

Gill - like the curry sauce method - what do you do for your version?

Herbid - your paneer curries sound good - I've suddenly acquired a glut of milk - and what proper Indian sauce mixes did you find?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:42 pm

I must have a repertoire but I think I get stuck in an area (culinary or geographic) for while then move on to another, so it's a slowly shifting repertoire

Going by what's usually portioned in the freezer mainstays would seem to be
A number of meat or veg curries, but special mention to my favourite sour chickpeas
Lots of stir fries (no I don't freeze them, but I do freeze components)
Noodles - stir fried or ramen style in broth
Tajines, chicken or lamb
A number of middle eastern dishes such as stuffed vegetables
Chilli my way
A lot of fish and seafood dishes, including Madhur's prawn & courgette curry and Lizzie Mabutt's prawns with Thai basil
Veggie cottage pie and other pulse based dishes such as bean stews or dal
Things less likely to be frozen include a number of simple pasta dishes, frittatas,

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:52 am

With you on freezing components rather than whole dishes, Stokey. I do freeze certain types of soups and stews. Good freezer repertoire.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Apologies Patsy.
I made your mum's teabread, but made a mess of it in 3 ways. I think my Tesco self raising flour might be a bit iffy. It didn't rise so I'll buy some new and use this one for sauce making.
I got distracted doing Tony's tax, and baked it for 1hr 40!
But worse, I added cardamom. And it tasted like a pomander. I haven't done it justice I'm afraid - this happens to me sometimes, I'm a fairly enthusiastic baker, but occasionally I create a right dud.

Oooh, never mind, practice makes perfect ;) I only use the warm spices in this bread .. cinnamon or just mixed. :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:27 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Interesting Amy. I am the least fussy eater I know but I absolutely can’t be doing with veggie sausages. My sausages have to be oozing with pork and squelching with fat.

Same here ... although I do now buy the Naked Sausages that don't have Nitrates and Nitrites in them ..along with the same brand bacon. :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox