Register

Repertoire

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Repertoire

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:What's shakshouka?
I could google I know but I won't.

A veg stew with eggs either poached in it or scrambled with it, similar to piperade. As smitch says but I don’t think tomatoes or peppers are obligatory, though the most usual version

Definitely in my repertoire

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm pleased I asked now.
I love all things eggy, and have got Jerusalem on my phone/Kindle.

Once a week, Tony will have cheese on toast, and I make myself anything he doesn't like = usually rice dishes or an omelette.

Postby Kacey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Monday to Thursday we tend to have things like pasta with various sauces/veggies, curries - usually a dal and a veg, chilli, noodle dishes - dan dan, satay, pad thai etc. Thai green curry, OH's loves veggie bangers & mash so I do that usually once a fortnight.

Pre covid days we ate out on a Friday, just a pub meal with a few pints, since middle of March I've been replicating by having burger & chips for tea with a few beers, really enjoy it!

On Saturdays and Sundays because there's more time, I try to do something new or something a bit more time consuming.

I keep saying I'll work my way through every cookbook on my shelves and make something from one of them every week. I seem to have 'old favourites' that I use all the time and current 'new favourites' that I also use a lot, then the ones in between .......

Postby Kacey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Monday to Thursday we tend to have things like pasta with various sauces/veggies, curries - usually a dal and a veg, chilli, noodle dishes - dan dan, satay, pad thai etc. Thai green curry, OH's loves veggie bangers & mash so I do that usually once a fortnight.

Pre covid days we ate out on a Friday, just a pub meal with a few pints, since middle of March I've been replicating by having burger & chips for tea with a few beers, really enjoy it!

On Saturdays and Sundays because there's more time, I try to do something new or something a bit more time consuming.

I keep saying I'll work my way through every cookbook on my shelves and make something from one of them every week. I seem to have 'old favourites' that I use all the time and current 'new favourites' that I also use a lot, then the ones in between .......

Postby Kacey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:49 pm

I thought I'd cracked this double posting by not previewing first buy that's not it

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Kacey, if you do post twice by mistake there is usually an option to delete either the first or second post in the top right hand corner if you want to.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:45 pm

smitch wrote:Shakshouka (various spellings) is a Middle Eastern dish of eggs cooked in a tomato and pepper sauce. I use Ottolenghi's recipe from 'Jerusalem' but there are loads of variations online. I made a scrambled egg version recently from 'Falastin' as well as a green one a couple of weeks ago. It is good for using up odds and ends from the fridge.

Since learning all about Shakshouka from this forum, I have made the base several times, usually Ottolenghi's version, but never finished it off with the eggs. Instead I just use the base to throw in with some Chicken (thighs) :yum

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Kacey wrote:I thought I'd cracked this double posting by not previewing first buy that's not it

I had a "double post" yesterday. What happened was that I previewed my post but got a message that someone else had posted. I realised that I needed to add something to my message so edited it, then submitted - what transpired was that both the original and the edited messages were posted. Could this be similar to what's happening with you?

Postby Kacey » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Could be Pampy. I'll have to be more vigilant, thanks for the tips!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Pampy wrote:
Kacey wrote:I thought I'd cracked this double posting by not previewing first buy that's not it

I had a "double post" yesterday. What happened was that I previewed my post but got a message that someone else had posted. I realised that I needed to add something to my message so edited it, then submitted - what transpired was that both the original and the edited messages were posted. Could this be similar to what's happening with you?

I don't think you need to edit your post when you get the message that someone else has posted before you ... I just press submit again. But then I never preview my posts unless I am adding a photo.

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:33 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Pampy wrote:I had a "double post" yesterday. What happened was that I previewed my post but got a message that someone else had posted. I realised that I needed to add something to my message so edited it, then submitted - what transpired was that both the original and the edited messages were posted. Could this be similar to what's happening with you?

I don't think you need to edit your post when you get the message that someone else has posted before you ... I just press submit again. But then I never preview my posts unless I am adding a photo.

Patsy - see text in bold

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:25 am

I haven´t posted here because I thought, "Blimey, I cook a lot of stuff for a living!" .Surprisingly, though, when I´m at home the repertoire is fairly restricted. No Indian /Indonesian food coming up, because that´s what I make for $$$, but at home, quiches register quite often. I´m not a great pastry chef at all, but quiche pastry - got it nailed. The other advantage is that you can put virtually anything in a quiche ( including chorizo :lol: )and it´ll taste divine.
My favourites (eyes closed) - cheese bacon and onion/leek; artichoke & bacon, roasted peppers and courgettes. Then there´s a variant on that (it´s not a quiche, more a tart) is courgettes sauteed with basil, slivered almonds and Gruyere cheese.
Chile con Carne is a must, as well as Heart Attack Potatoes (Layer cooked potatoes, cheese, bacon, cream, more cheese, more bacon, fried onions, top with bacon :shock: :shock: ). We make pasta like mad and I´ll happily put together a lasagna or cannneloni, or a variant on tomato sauce (which we always have in the fridge). I love Cauliflower cheese, Cottage pie, Lebanese Feasts (I make hummus, babanagush, tabbouléh, falafel, pita bread and a wierd mini-hamburger (with 7 spices that a Lebanese friend taught me to make!) because kibbe is a bit of a faff.
I could definitely do with expanding my sweet repertoire, however, because the only things I know how to make are Nigella´s chocolate beetroot cake and an apple pie. During lockdown, I´ve learned to make Snowflower´s Cheesecake, and this week made a panna cotta I´m finally happy with, topped with ginger & pineapple syrup.

Postby Hope » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Most of the meals I cook are made up on the spot, not following a recipe. They do vary according to what veg we have in, but include various pasta dishes, sort of middle eastern spicy beany stews, or sort of indian spicy beany stews, or sort of mediterranean beany stews, the odd stir fry... There's a lot of repetition! My basic pasta with veg, beans and (for everyone who isn't me) tomatoes is a 30-year-old invention that I came up with in my teens. I rarely cook (dinner) from a recipe.

I can make bread without a recipe, but I check the amounts because my memory is awful! I don't use a recipe for apple pie!

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 am

Some really good dishes and ideas here.

Great thread idea, Gill - we all have our regular lists but really good to look at others' and snag new additions. What's the cod curry pls?

My cook with my eyes closed stuff- seems like quite a long list but even so dishes can begin to get repetitive

Spatchocked chicken grilled with evoo, garlic, rosemary & herbs, salt,done in a convection thingy.
Gambas pil pil
Pan sizzled salmon
Braised beef - love the cheap stewing cuts cooked long
New Mexico red and green chile stew either beef or pork
Braised pork especially loin and wild garlic seasoning that I got in France and just love
Omelettes, various fillings
Homemade pasta and Asian noodles since I got a pasta roller
Lasagna, especially veg with spinach or kale and ricotta.
Fettuccine with walnut parsley feta pesto that I make and freeze
Pasta puttenesca
River Cafe's penne with courgettes and ricotta
Penne with pumpkin, walnuts and crispy sage
Tacos and fajitas
Soups - tomato, veg soups, sopa de ajo, garbure, minestrone, riboletta, Asian noodle soups often with tofu,
Lots of Chinese stir fry based dishes - great for using what's around - veg, small meaty bits, tofu, wontons etc fried rice with leftovers
Sushi rolls - often California rolls with avo and leftover salmon (I don't make raw fish sushi at home)
Sandwiches - deli style

That's sort of it, the usuals, tho I do like to try out new dishes and always on the lookout for things that catch my eye. Chinese potstickers and dumplings of late along with Sichuan chili oil.

Don't you ever make Indonesian or Indian dishes for yourself KKDA? How bout a list of those? Would be most interested÷)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:52 pm

ZC - absolutely! Indian food figures at least once a week at home and I can do it with my eyes closed, but that´s because I often do it for a lunch party or an event. For example, chicken Makhani/butter chicken/tikka masala - what ever you want to call it - I must have made it a thousand times.
Here´s the menu from last week´s lunch:
Samosas and sheek kababs to start, with home-made tamarind chutney and fresh yoghurt & herb chutney
(Venezuelan ) Pork Vindaloo. Venezuelan because they´re all chile wimps over here so I make it with sweet chiles (ají dulce) instead of the hot version!
Kerala Prawns. Basically coconut milk with mustard seeds and fenugreek. THEN comes a second "masala" with coriander, paprika, black pepper and chile powder.
Basmati with lemon.
Aloo Saag
Sambhar - a thinnish lentil stew with veg.
Koosmali - carrot and yoghurt salad with mustard seeds and a touch of asafoetida.
Maharashtran cucumber salad - with fresh coconut, lime, sugar, green chiles and peanuts.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 am

Pasta puttenesca

delightful isn't it.

Cod curry really is just my usual curry sauce made on the hob - the repertoire one I'd use for turkey curry at Christmas, or chicken curry.
Then I float the cod pieces in it, and bake.
For prawns I would just add them raw into the sauce on the hob ring and cook for a couple of mins.

I should vary it, again, my go to curry sauce needs a change!

Koosmali

Never heard of that one before. I must give it a try. I'll be fluffing in the kitchen some time soon, making an Indian meal.
I seem to have a lot of time at the moment, since leaving my studio on Oct 31st.
(My shed is being built tomorrow, so I can get back to doing what I do soon enough)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 am

Apologies Patsy.
I made your mum's teabread, but made a mess of it in 3 ways. I think my Tesco self raising flour might be a bit iffy. It didn't rise so I'll buy some new and use this one for sauce making.
I got distracted doing Tony's tax, and baked it for 1hr 40!
But worse, I added cardamom. And it tasted like a pomander. I haven't done it justice I'm afraid - this happens to me sometimes, I'm a fairly enthusiastic baker, but occasionally I create a right dud.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:52 am

I keep coming back to this thread but not sure what to put. I try not to make the same thing often, but I suppose some things crop up repeatedly, but they are never fancy.
I don' cook every night. I try to make enough to last more than a day and some nights I just construct: stuffed pasta with butter and parmesan, quesadillas, things made from packet ingredients such as vegetarian non-meat balls in a good bought tomato sauce (I really rate the new Sauce Shop ones.) pizza (not often though) paneer based curries (I found some rather good proper Indian sauce mixes.) pan-fried gnocchi, shakshouka type things, sometimes made with a (French) tin of ratatouille or similar. (The French do really good tinned confits of vegetables.) rosti make in the oven with cheese and faux bacon etc. I rarely leave the bought ingredients be. They are 'souped up' with spices, herbs and extra ingredients.

Proper cooking, well... although I have made few of these for ages, I suppose, risotto, lasagne, chilli, casserole type things, thai green curries, ribollita, various vegetable gratins (also feels almost like construction) roasted sweet potato slices with thyme and baked feta and lime or lemon, melanzane parmigiana, vegetable pies now and then, twice baked souffle, alpine eggs (construction again), oven baked fritattas,
I am very much a one pot person.
I am also trying to make new things on a regular basis, but not as often as once a week, although I approached this Lockdown I, when I was less busy. If you are following a recipe it inevitably takes longer.

edit: I forgot mushroom stroganoff and goulash.

I need to think of something to cook tonight..
Last edited by herbidacious on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:14 pm

koosmali.Never heard of that one before. I must give it a try

Easy enough to make Gill.
Grate three or four medium-sized carrots. Put a knob of butter in a frying pan, and add a tiny pinch of asafoetida .(you don´t HAVE to use it, but it really makes a difference IMO). 10 seconds later, add a Tbsp of black mustard seeds. Cook them through until the seeds start to pop, then add the grated carrot. Cook the carrot gently, low to medium heat, until they change colour - about 3-4 minutes. Remove, season with a little salt and set aside to cool.
Once cooled, add a tsp sugar, a squeeze of lime(or lemon) juice, a chopped green chile (optional) and about 4 tbsps Greek yoghurt. Bring together gently until the salad is orange-and-white-with-little-black-specks :lol: :lol: :lol: . In other words, don´t overdo the yoghurt, but you don´t want too little either otherwise the salad will be too dry. It´s not raita.

Postby Amyw » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:42 pm

his is a very interesting thread , what’s one Mans mundane weekly meal sounds really tempting to someone else . I’m trying to think of mine ... I guess

Omelette /tortilla/frittata, that normally tends to be the fridge clear out meal .

Pasta with a tomato /garlic / chilli sauce which I might add various veg , protein or cheese too .

I like a version of a cooked breakfast with veggie sausages , fried eggs , mushrooms tomatoes ..

Curry and rice

A big chunky soup with bread or cheese scones to go alongside with

Salmon , sweet potato and some form of green veg

A large salad with lots of veg , normally some kind of grain such as couscous , nuts , and a good dressing

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox