Register

Things your mother should have told you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Things your mother should have told you

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:36 pm

I am trialling the fruit fly trap ... currently we have fruit flies as I failed to notice that one of our ripening pears had damage.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Taking one for the team there Suffs :thumbsup ;) :D

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:21 pm

mark111757, a fantastic time capsule, although some are still relevant. I wonder how our handy tips will be viewed in 50 years when presumably oil and plastic will be rare, washing powder phosphates might be a thing of the past etc.

Suffs, nothing I tried attracted enough fruit flies to drown (the washing up liquid breaks the surface tension), but enough for them instead to walk around the edge meeting each other which was fun to watch but not the result of them thus multiplying prolifically, aargh. The answer here was to put what they liked (banana skin they came in on) on an open window's sill and voila :)

The use of cornmeal to overfeed/kill ants is interesting. Hope I remember before sunshine brings them up next year.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Mum taught me and I suspect she got it from her home economics teacher, about measuring things like Crisco/vegetable shortening using the water displacement method.
If I needed a half cup of shortening, fill a one cup measure half full of water then add globs of Crisco till the water was at the top of the cup. Always worked for her. And drain off the water.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 pm

But so very much simpler to use weight to measure amounts. :D

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:28 pm

I suppose they didn't do knee socks for ladies....or shoes that they would fit in.

I never wore tights full stop until I was in my mid-20s. Knee socks and long skirts. I think when I started cycling everywhere when I left London caused me to start wearing shorter skirts and thus tights. But by then it was possible and affordable to buy woolly tights. I still don't wear nylons unless it's a wedding or somesuch.

My mother wore popsocks under her 'slacks' in the '70s (and beyond) I am sure. She said she couldn't wear tights (can't remember the reason.)

I have done copmost gnat/fruit fly thing in the past. Doesn't work with bigger flies, alas.

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:20 am

I have been wearing long johns for quite a few weeks now! :) Nice and warm.

Postby Busybee » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:08 am

A male family friend who also happens to be an ex professional jockey wore ladies tights under his racing silks, keeps you warm but doesn’t add weight apparently.

BB

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Busybee wrote:A male family friend who also happens to be an ex professional jockey wore ladies tights under his racing silks, keeps you warm but doesn’t add weight apparently.

BB

I used to know several policemen who did the same!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Nylons also make putting on knee high cavalry or racing boots a lot easier

Think of all those butch Horse Guards with sheer stockings under their boots

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:32 pm

I know of butch builders who have ladies' tights on under their work jeans.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm

I now have a vivid memory in my head of Nicholas Parsons in suspenders & stockings on stage in The Rocky Horror Show for some reason - he was brilliant, but the image is going to be with me all day I know!

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:02 pm

To brings us all back to the more mundane ... we caught four fruit flies in the vinegar trap overnight. :limbobanana :woohoo:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:I now have a vivid memory in my head of Nicholas Parsons in suspenders & stockings on stage in The Rocky Horror Show for some reason - he was brilliant, but the image is going to be with me all day I know!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good news re the flies, Suffs.

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:54 pm

i knew a load of bikers who wore tights under their 'originals' and leathers.

try putting a banana skin or part of a ripe tomato (or a bit of that pear) in a jar. cover the top of the jar with cling film (or bit of plastic bag with elastic band) and with the tip of a sharp knife, puncture a tiny hole in it. the fruit flies crawl in and can't find the hole to climb back out.

you can also use a bit of vinegar with a drop of the washing up liquid if you haven't got a bit of banana skin.

Postby mark111757 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Suffs

You are correct but growing up in the in the 60s and 70s here in the States, most domestic cook books showed ingredients by volume as opposed to weight. And mum did not have a kitchen scale. I doubt that her mum had one either.

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm

mark111757 wrote:mum did not have a kitchen scale. I doubt that her mum had one either.

if you've used a cup (of any sort) since colonisation, custom reigns but it's surprising that that hasn't changed with the 'modernisation' of kitchens.
recipes written in cups can be quite elastic - some say well packed, some don't specify anything - thank heavens for the accuracy of weights!
i can't think of any of my antecedents (that i have known) that didn't use scales - it was one of the first things i bought after leaving home.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I have a set of American cups and a set of Australian ones as I was wasting too much time trying to convert. A universal measurement is a no-brainer... Of course we have only relatively recently moved to that in the UK.
We have to put measurements in imperial, as well as metric, in our books at work to achieve a 'universal' edtion. (Cooking books have their own separate editions, of course.) It's a bit of a pain when you have limited space and are dealing with long numbers! (e.g. what's a light year.) At least a billion has been standardized (to the American billion).

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Cups must be thought infinitely preferable to our spoon weights (rounded/heaped), measuring jugs, guessing half a block of butter etc. I've found scales only essential once dealing with grams, which I can't naturally visualise or convert, since before that my scales rarely saw daylight.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Ah yes. One forgets we have spoon measurements, so used to them are we. And these are different in different countries too. I have spent time trying to ascertain what French spoons are when cooking from recipe books bought in France. We are so much more international than we once were.
My baking spoons have measurements in ml on them too.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox