Register

Things your mother should have told you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Things your mother should have told you

Postby mark111757 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Found this on FB. Mainly food stuff....enjoy

Part one

Part two

Part three

Re: Things your mother should have told you

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:50 pm

I can categorically state there has never been left over after Snickers bars in my house.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:06 am

... or that my mother never devilled an egg :lol:.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:31 am

Why mother, why not parent?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:59 am

Mark, you are so off the wall :gonzo

I like the vacuum tip tho. It does sound like it will work, I'll try that next time I've finished a kitchen roll.
I'd love to try the apple with snickers recipe!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:21 am

WWordsworth wrote:I can categorically state there has never been left over after Snickers bars in my house.

I don't think there has ever been a Snickers bar in this house ;)

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:23 am

MagicMarmite wrote:Why mother, why not parent?

I would surmise, from the style of the prose, that it was written when only mothers did that sort of thing.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Some of these are quite culturally specific. An interesting window on the USA...

I am wondering about 18. I don't think many people wear underskirts in the UK anymore (at least not younger people). Do they still in America?

I am curious about conditioner and legs. I once, in my youth, (I think pre body wash era) tried to do this with shampoo and the itching was unbearable - had to wash it off almost as soon as I'd started. Curious enough to try? We are happily out of the shaving season now though :) That said, I use body wash which is probably even cheaper than conditioner. Sometimes a bar of soap...

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:33 pm

;) Wearing pantyhose and slacks?! Never ... I have too much respect for my nether regions :o

And when I buy a packet of frosting ...’!? Never happened and not likely to ;)
Last edited by Suffs on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:34 pm

herbidacious wrote:Some of these are quite culturally specific. An interesting window on the USA...

I am wondering about 18. I don't think many people wear underskirts in the UK anymore (at least not younger people). Do they still in America?

I am curious about conditioner and legs. I once, in my youth, (I think pre body wash era) tried to do this with shampoo and the itching was unbearable - had to wash it off almost as soon as I'd started. Curious enough to try? We are happily out of the shaving season now though :) That said, I use body wash which is probably even cheaper than conditioner. Sometimes a bar of soap...

I thought most of them were specific to the US ... but I did already know about using conditioner for shaving legs. :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Yes re trousers and tights. Not sure why you would do that unless it were very cold, and then I think I'd just go down the woolly tights and long skirt route.

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 pm

You could spice up the left over snickers on apple dish by marinading the apple in left over wine first! :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Trousers and tights used to be quite normal. There was a period when it became respectable for women to wear trousers socially with decent shoes, tights had replaced stockings and pop socks hadn't caught on. It wasn't 'respectable' for the ankle not to be covered between shoe and trouser leg so tights had to be worn.
As Suffs suggests, some ladies did suffer from a lack of air :lol:.
I have to say that I thought it perfectly acceptable to have bare feet and ankles with summer sandals but once went on a day out to Bournemouth with some women who were only in their mid-twenties (one of those occasions where we were all wives of husbands who had a common interest but not much in common ourselves) who all thought it rather disgraceful not to be wearing tights with sandals. I was the only one who wasn't :oops:.

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:00 pm

I have never worn Tights with trousers, but then again I am a bloke :lol:

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Trousers and tights used to be quite normal. There was a period when it became respectable for women to wear trousers socially with decent shoes, tights had replaced stockings and pop socks hadn't caught on. It wasn't 'respectable' for the ankle not to be covered between shoe and trouser leg so tights had to be worn.
As Suffs suggests, some ladies did suffer from a lack of air :lol:.
I have to say that I thought it perfectly acceptable to have bare feet and ankles with summer sandals but once went on a day out to Bournemouth with some women who were only in their mid-twenties (one of those occasions where we were all wives of husbands who had a common interest but not much in common ourselves) who all thought it rather disgraceful not to be wearing tights with sandals. I was the only one who wasn't :oops:.

I remember this too - I think part of the problem was that women bought shoes to wear with tights and skirts and they were then too tight if worn with socks. As you say, bare feet in shoes just wasn't done, and no pop socks around, so it had to be tights, even under trousers.

Using the words slacks dates the original piece, I think.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:16 pm

I thought ‘slacks’ pre-dated pantyhose/tights ... it was definitely 1967 before tights were available in central Suffolk ... and then only from M&S in a Ipswich a 12 mile bus journey away. :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:31 pm

My mother wore slacks with a roll-on girdle and stockings, as I assume her friends did, ca 1960 :o

Agree that’s quite a US list

The tip to put cream in scrambled eggs and omelettes flummoxes me, they are meant to have different textures :thumbsup in scrambled but definitely :thumbsdown in omelettes

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:38 pm

I was assuming we were substituting the word trousers for slacks. The incident I mentioned was circa 1974 and slacks conjure up the type of trouser worn in the early to mid-60s here, long before ordinary girls wore tights. My American friend referred to certain types of casual (male) trouser as slacks even in the noughties.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm

herbidacious wrote:Yes re trousers and tights. Not sure why you would do that unless it were very cold, and then I think I'd just go down the woolly tights and long skirt route.

When I was still working I would wear tights under trousers ... I don't possess a skirt - always hated myself in them as a) I'm only 5ft 2ins, and a bit on the chunky side and b) can only wear shoes with the lowest of heels due to big toe joint problems ... so feel very frumpy and dumpy in a skirt, never mind with woolly tights ! :roll: :o

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:14 pm

My grandma always thought it shameful for anyone to show their bare feet. She was watching the news reports on tv of the Brighton bombing and when Norman Tebbit was brought out on a stretcher with his bare feet in view, she commented that the poor man must be so embarrassed that no-one had covered his feet.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox