Register

Things your mother should have told you

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Things your mother should have told you

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Re weights, I vaguely remember from food tech (or whatever it was called) than 25g is approx equal to 1oz or a table spoon full. Probably not recommended for baking if exact amounts are needed but I often use that method if I don’t need to be exact.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:04 am

My mum bought me a set of double ended measuring spoons, imperial one end and metric the other, I’ve had them about 30 years, very handy - the metric end is noticeably smaller
OMCO, I think a TBS of most things is quite a bit less than an ounce; I know that in US recipes a tablespoon of butter is half an ounce

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:12 am

A tbs is 15ml so I think that would roughly equate to 15g (depending on what was being measured).

Postby aero280 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:17 am

My double ended measuring spoons are the same. The "tablespoon" is bigger than the "15ml" end. The same for the teaspoon/5ml and pro rata for the smaller ones.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:43 am

Pampy wrote:A tbs is 15ml so I think that would roughly equate to 15g (depending on what was being measured).

But if by any chance you are using an Aussie recipe a Tablespoon is 20ml :?

15ml would be 15g of water, but not a lot of denser ingredients. But if it's only 1 or 2 tblsp the variation often doesn't matter.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:22 am

I have an inkling that Australian recipe have eggs in weight too, do they?

When I first joined the Beeb in 2004, I didn't have scales.
If a recipe had 300g of flour, I'd spoon out 20 x tablespoons. When I got my Dualit scales for Christmas, I checked for a couple of months, and was surprisingly accurate no matter the ingredient: flour sugar liquids etc.
I think that's why some mum's and grans were excellent bakers - their method of weights worked well for them (like it used to for me).

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 am

I don't own a skirt or a dress. Never wear tights but have been known to have Long Johns on under my trousers. Don't own any slippers either.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:44 am

I need slippers - so much warmer than shoes and my feet are like ice for half the years

I used to make cakes measuring the fat by dividing the block and estimating the dry ingredients using a coffee mug as a measuring cup

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don't own a skirt or a dress. Never wear tights but have been known to have Long Johns on under my trousers. Don't own any slippers either.

Neither do I own skirt/dress/tights - but I do have slippers - slips on for summer, boots for winter.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:26 pm

My husband refuses to wear slippers, inexplicably. He wears old 'pumps'. Mind you, for years, I wore old shoes too. Probably ought to again as I am ruining my slippers by 'just nipping outside'.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:49 pm

I never wear slippers. Just whatever's on my feet in the way of socks, tights or nothing. Usually socks. I keep an old pair of slip on shoes by the back door for when I need to pop into the garden.

I still like to wear dresses sometimes, for winter I've several which go with thick tights and boots and of course, a decent one which comes out for funerals and not much else.

I used tablespoons for ounces for years for flour and sugar and sometimes golden syrup with very satisfactory results despite the golden syrup being way out. I sometimes smile now I have digital scales and worry about getting the grams exact. I haven't much clue about grams and decimal stuff. I know that 8oz is around 250g and that 125g is therefore 4oz but any calculation for which they are not a good base gets tricky A recipe called for a measurement of vanilla extract the other day - didn't have a clue. What's wrong with teaspoons or drops ;) ? If something said cups we used to use teacups Recipes are pretty flexible really in many cases!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:03 pm

I solemnly declare that I once wore tights.
When I played Peaseblossom in Midsummer Night´s Dream :gonzo :gonzo

The thing about fruit flies is that they´re so abundant and so tiny, it´s almost impossible to trap them all

Postby Rainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am

Gillthepainter wrote:I have an inkling that Australian recipe have eggs in weight too, do they?

When I first joined the Beeb in 2004, I didn't have scales.
If a recipe had 300g of flour, I'd spoon out 20 x tablespoons. When I got my Dualit scales for Christmas, I checked for a couple of months, and was surprisingly accurate no matter the ingredient: flour sugar liquids etc.
I think that's why some mum's and grans were excellent bakers - their method of weights worked well for them (like it used to for me).

Gill, I think eggs in recipes are usually just ‘medium’ Or ‘large’ although the egg boxes do give a weight on them, I think!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox