Register

Will Yogurt Work?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Will Yogurt Work?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:38 pm

I am planning to make some toffee apple tartlets today by putting apple into tartlet cases and topping with the caramel recipe used in the recent apple cake from the National Trust magazine which was mentioned a few weeks ago (because the apples with caramel topping really worked).

The caramel takes equal quantities of butter and sugar with the addition of 2 tablespoons of cream. I've got butter and sugar but no cream. I have got thick, creamy Greek yogurt.

What do you reckon? Will I ruin it if I try it?

Re: Will Yogurt Work?

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:19 pm

i would just add a bit more butter (with maybe a tiny bit of milk) rather than adding yogurt. it doesn't have the same fat ratio as cream if you're going to cook with it - it may split and go lumpy in the 'sauce'.

Postby Hickybank » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:22 pm

Or use this WW2 recipe for cream as it was not available' I have tried it & was impressed how near to cream it tasted

Mock cream
1 tablespoon (English tablespoon) of cornflour
1 oz margarine
1 oz sugar (fine)
1/4 pint milk
Slowly blend the cornflour and milk together and add to saucepan and stir over a low heat until thickened. Remove and allow to cool completely.

Cream margarine and sugar together until light and soft and then gradually add in the cold cornflour/milk mixture a teaspoon at a time until all of it is mixed together to make a smooth, thick cream which stiffens further when stored in the fridge.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:54 pm

scullion wrote:i would just add a bit more butter (with maybe a tiny bit of milk) rather than adding yogurt. it doesn't have the same fat ratio as cream if you're going to cook with it - it may split and go lumpy in the 'sauce'.

I agree, that sounds more plausible to me

Postby Suelle » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm

I don't think yogurt will work, nor, in this case, Hicky's mock cream recipe.

If you've got milk, there are plenty of recipes online for making caramel with that, rather than cream.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks scully. That's what I suspected.

Hicky, that recipe was in my mother's Good Housekeeping cookery book published just after the war. I have made that 'cream' often in days gone by and agree, it can be quite a success. I don't think it would be ideal for caramel though.

Thanks too Suelle. I just really wanted to use cream because it was so ery good when I used it before.

I thought I had checked the cupboard and bought everything I needed for my small cookery session today. So far I've had to eke out the flour, wonder about the cream and now find I have neither a lemon or lemon juice for icing later :oops:. Unbelievable, I usually do better than that. The rain has died down a bit so I'll go and buy proper ingredients.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:07 pm

If you have evaporated or condensed milk that woul probably work

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox