Register

Top food storage hack

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Top food storage hack

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Apparently the lid from a tube of Pringles exactly fits a Gu ramekin.

I have not tested this but Richard Osman tweeted it so it might be true . . . . . .

Re: Top food storage hack

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:38 pm

I'd be happy to try it out on everyone's behalf. Gu pots & Pringles .. mmm, no calories there! (I am the person who chose to fly Virgin Atlantic to the USA for years because they served Gu pots for dinner :oops:).

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 pm

So selfless EM. :lol: But they are lovely.

Postby Kacey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 pm

i have a Gu pot on my 'desk' filled with paperclips (the other side of the dining table) alas no Pringles !

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:27 pm

I think I last had a gü pot on Virgin Atlantic but it was one of the little ones :(

As things come increasingly in standard diameters, presumably to simplify life for factories using those mechanical pickers so beloved of Gregg Wallace, I find a lot of these tricks work well

There’s a brand of wasabi peas that come in containers similar to Pringles, and the lids fit standard 400g food cans. Two packs about the same price as a 2 pack of can covers

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:36 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think I last had a gü pot on Virgin Atlantic but it was one of the little ones :(

I have to say that they are so rich, I wouldn't want more than that.

When we first went to Australia there was a brand of something - jam or peanut butter maybe - whose jar was designed to be a nice everyday drinking tumbler when the contents had been used. It had a printed pattern on it. Everyone had a set. I think that the lids were plastic like Pringle ones even then as the lip was smooth (not like Mason jars which I hate using as glasses). It would make sense to sell things that could be utilised like that again.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 am

Dijon mustard used to come in rather nice small tumblers - there was a box of them that were passed around for use Aas party wine glasses

In fact mustard glasses still seem to be a thing in France

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/mustard-glasses/

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:22 am

Aldi and Lidl sell small glass pots of desserts - they're ideal as shot glasses! I also use them to measure ingredients for cooking - and as they have lids, they could also be used for storage - dried herbs spring to mind.

Postby smitch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:15 am

My mil still has some tumblers that were Nutella jars originally. I think they date from when my husband and his brother were growing up :lol:

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:48 pm

I still have three or four of the Nutella tumblers with the airtight white plastic lids which are brilliant for "the other half of the tin" storage in the fridge. They're probably 20 years old now but too useful to chuck out, given Tupperware types have come and gone aplenty during that time. By the way, I bought the Nutella for the tumblers :D

My handy tip for the freezer for e.g. chopped onion is: Put in freezer bag and jiggle to form a shallow layer. When frozen, easy to break off a piece as big as needed.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm

i buy ginger when it's cheap, peel, blend and squeeze it into ice cube bags. the same with harrisa when i came across the big tins. easy to break out and use from the freezer.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:24 pm

I turn ginger into paste & freeze on its own or mixed with garlic /chilli - handy to have in the freezer for when I can't be bothered.
Onions, I sweat down a batch & freeze ( usually on a wet Sunday afternoon) ready to add to whatever.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:15 pm

I buy the Taj frozen blocks of ginger, ginger/garlic or green chilli paste. Actually cheaper than the diy version. Available in most supermarkets.

I have an early silicone baking mat, one of the rubber sheet kind. Totally useless for baking but placed on a baking sheet great for open freezing anything, ice doesn’t stick to it

Postby miss mouse » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:37 pm

scullion wrote:i buy ginger when it's cheap,

I didn't know ginger had a cheap season. The home chopped and frozen sounds like a very handy tip though, I usually freeze it whole and grate it from frozen which can be annoying at times.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...Totally useless for baking but placed on a baking sheet great for open freezing anything, ice doesn’t stick to it

Ooh! Handy tip :) I have a shortish roll of the cut-to-size silicon which I haven't got round to using yet. The best I've found, NB: So far!, is Reynolds' freezer paper, which is pretty good for this, so I feel a side-by-side test is due.

Yes, I too have the purchased frozen ginger and also ginger/chilli in little blocks. The problem is finding fresh juicy green ginger. I don't know how long ginger stays fresh once in our big and small shops presumably from half way round the world, but I snap up an enormous "hand" of really fresh ginger if/when spotted 8-) (Like Christmas coming early.)

Postby Rainbow » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:12 am

Earthmaiden wrote:When we first went to Australia there was a brand of something - jam or peanut butter maybe - whose jar was designed to be a nice everyday drinking tumbler when the contents had been used. It had a printed pattern on it. Everyone had a set. I think that the lids were plastic like Pringle ones even then as the lip was smooth (not like Mason jars which I hate using as glasses). It would make sense to sell things that could be utilised like that again.

EM, I think they were vegemite jars and as you said, everyone had some as cheap tumblers for the kids!! And if they got broken they were easy to replace!!

Now you can buy them online as 'Vintage Australia - Collectors item' :lol:
https://in.pinterest.com/pin/476396466828459464/

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Anyone care to tell me what a Gu jar is?
Absolutely no idea :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Anyone care to tell me what a Gu jar is?
Absolutely no idea :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s properly Gü which I suspect is meant to be pronounced goo but most people seem to have a variation on that

They are good quality, mainly chocolate, desserts in little glass pots; really good, like something you’d have in a restaurant

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:31 pm

There was one of those “how middle class foodie are your cupboards” quizzes
One of the middle class clues was possession of more than 4 Gü ramekins
The answer is none, but I awarded myself the point for having unearthed! tapas dishes instead, definitely the savoury equivalent

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox