Register

Top food storage hack

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Top food storage hack

Postby Busybee » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:12 pm

This thread had spurred me to add some Gu puddings to my Tesco order for tomorrow.

The non chocolate ones are on offer for Clubcard holders, £1 per pudding.

BB

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm

The Gu lemon cheesecake is :yum.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks for the insight!!

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:38 am

Stokey Sue wrote:There was one of those “how middle class foodie are your cupboards” quizzes
One of the middle class clues was possession of more than 4 Gü ramekins

does it count if they're not in your cupboard but have a selection of small orchid plants sitting in them‽‽

i also have a number of the small, black, lidded, plastic pots that once contained the thick, chocolate cream gü. they are now filled with different grades of corundum grit for polishing glass/stone and i use one as a measure for washing powder.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:There was one of those “how middle class foodie are your cupboards” quizzes
One of the middle class clues was possession of more than 4 Gü ramekins
The answer is none, but I awarded myself the point for having unearthed! tapas dishes instead, definitely the savoury equivalent

I have both of those, as well as cute little frosted glass pots of another make and a couple of glazed pottery ones that also contained a desert. So I'm definitely middle class then (NOT ! ) ;)

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:55 pm

i have just tried the pringles lid on the gü pot - it fits but doesn't 'cling', just sits - which is still better than trying to find a small saucer etc to put on a bowl containing a tiny amount of something, in the fridge.
(i save pringle tubes for moulds for soap - i didn't buy some just to test).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am

I used to use the white glass pots that Prince’s fish pastes came in as feeding bowls for my hamster - too heavy for her to turn over

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:41 pm

scullion wrote:i save pringle tubes for moulds for soap

How interesting, scully, I was only wondering the other day if there's anything you can do with the last remnants of a bar of soap that's too small to be of any further use!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:27 pm

When I was little people used to have nylon mesh pouches, save up the slivers of bath soap and stuff them into the bags so you washed your grubby mitts with a bundle of multi-coloured soaps, which I found quite exotic
They’ve gone eco
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... acat=11838

Peg Bracken used to recommend dissolving them in boiling water to make a jar of soap gel you could use for hand washing, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea in a hard water area

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:38 pm

I went through a stage of melting down end of soap scraps and forming them into new bars. Any decent scent always disappeared and it always ended up a horrible sludge colour so no-one wanted to use it. I was so pleased when liquid soap came on the market. Now we have to worry about plastic of course. Life is so unfair sometimes!

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:41 pm

my soap is made from oils, water and lye, not the old, end slivers.
it's poured into the pringle tube when still hot and mouldable, left to cool then the pringle tube unwound, discarded and the soap sliced up.
maybe the end sliver soap should be kept for scraping under your nails before gardening!

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm

scullion wrote:...

maybe the end sliver soap should be kept for scraping under your nails before gardening!

Doh! Why have I never thought of "before" not "after" :roll: Thanks for handy tip.

As lye soap gets older and cracks, I dribble some water in the soap dish. Needless to say, pump liquid soap for others who don't want to pick up my slimy result :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox