Register

Pasty Pastry?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pasty Pastry?

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 pm

Would anyone care to share their recipe for the above please?

Fancy making some pasties at some point, traditional and maybe untraditional :o .

Thanks.

Re: Pasty Pastry?

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 am

My usual (and traditional) pasty pastry is a white rough puff using 12ozs strong white flour, pinch salt, 4ozs butter and 4 ozs lard and a dessert spoonful of lemon juice, made into a dough with ice cold water, the usual rolling and folding for rough puff and resting in the fridge for at least 30 mins or even until next day before rolling out and using.

I sometimes make a wholemeal shortcrust using half and half SR wholemeal and ordinary plain white flour. To a total of 12ozs flour I use 4ozs butter and 4 ozs lard, a pinch of salt all made into breadcrumbs in the processor and using cold water to bring together, shape into ball, wrap and rest in fridge for half an hour.

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 am

i make a sort of lazy rough puff in the food processor.
half fat to plain flour ratio. (pastry made with a pound of flour will make 4 pastys).
fat = half butter half solid veg fat. (both cold)
wizz veg fat into flour 'til all mixed.
chop butter into smallish cubes and pulse into mix - but not very much, you still want little bits of butter.
dribble water in until bound together.
i don't (usually) let the pastry rest before rolling - well, as much as it would get before the rest of the rounds were rolled.
i also 'chip' the veg with the bigger slicer of the food processor.
my usual filling is (equal amounts of each veg) -
potato, onion, turnip (swede), carrot, mature cheddar (grated), loads of chopped, fresh parsley and lots of salt and black pepper.
brushed with milk, a fork through the top and baked at 200°c for approx 50 mins to 1 hour. (but i suppose that alters a little with the size of your pasty).

ann's pasties are some of the best down here - this is her recipe.
unlike her layering i mix together all the veg, cheese, parsley and seasonings and pile the mixture on the pastry.
a tip - if the fold is towards/open edges away from you it's easier to crimp - unless you're doing it the (wrong), along the top, way.

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 am

Think my Rough puff is similar to Ann’s, apart from her Echo marg and my lemon juice (relaxes gluten and makes the pastry stretchy) ... I certainly learned to use strong flour from her recipe... I remember watching her on Rick Stein’s Food Heroes many years ago.

I agree her pasties are spectacularly good ... we’ve had them many times ... aspirational :yum

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you both very much! My husband will also give thanks to you I'm sure!

Looking forward to getting some made (will need to source some ingredients).

Sorry Scully, I will probably also make some alternative, non-Cornish, pasties :o .

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:08 pm

This is a coincidence! :)

Last night I came across my mother's pasty recipe. She learnt her pasty making from her Cornish mother.

She used Skirt for the beef and it was thinly sliced/flaked along with the other ingredients. All the pieces end up the size of a thumbnail and about 1/4 inch thick at most, usually less. No mincing or dicing!!

I hope that you can read her writing!

JMC-pasty-recipe.jpg
JMC-pasty-recipe.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Great little keepsake there Aero.

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Always skirt for a traditional pasty .... it's the law :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Might have to - snagging thread :-)

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Suffs wrote:Always skirt for a traditional pasty .... it's the law :thumbsup

Hoping I can find some Suffs!

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Suffs wrote:Always skirt for a traditional pasty .... it's the law :thumbsup

Yup, and the "chipping" into miniature wedges of equal size for all content, per Cornish pasty veteran. My blunt knives would struggle with the meat methinks.

Also, always shortcrust. I'd think that rule made infinite sense for a hand held food as much of the flaky/puff pastry would land on the ground while it was being eaten.

Side crimp better, as hers were the size of half a dinner plate so the edge crust was held with both hands whilst biting into the other side :D

There's a Youtube somewhere on chipping (chitting?) spuds, whereby you sort of cut a tiny piece out, then a triangle cut in, which forms the next triangle to cut out......

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:39 am

Chitting is encouraging seed potatoes to sprout before they are planted.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:14 am

My blunt knives would struggle with the meat

Sharpen your knives, Jeral.
A blunt knife is far, far more dangerous than a sharp one!

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:59 am

slimpersoninside wrote:Sorry Scully, I will probably also make some alternative, non-Cornish, pasties :o .

no need to apologise - only pastys made in cornwall can have that pgi. all pastys made over the border are non-cornish pastys.
the only way that ginsters (spit) can call them 'cornish' is because their factory is about 6km into cornwall.

lindsey bareham has a pasty recipe book.

karadekoolaid wrote:Sharpen your knives, Jeral.
A blunt knife is far, far more dangerous than a sharp one!

definitely. if you have to push harder cos your knife's blunt you're far more likely to injure yourself.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Oooh Scully, a book.

Must go now, I need to look for something on Amazon ;) .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 pm

I keep seeing this post and thinking it's meant for me (Patsy) :roll: ;) :wave:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 pm

Just watched Bake Off An Extra Slice, was rather taken with a pasty made in the shape of the map Cornwall.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Pampy wrote:Chitting is encouraging seed potatoes to sprout before they are planted.

With apols to slimpersoninside for straying off course from pastry...

Yes Pampy, I know that of course, but it's driving me mad (well ish) that I can't get past "chipping" displaying perfect fries on the internet, so maybe there's another name here or abroad, even though chipping defines it accurately.

The technique is very specific. If you imagine a block of marble that you chisel away at chipping bits off, chipping is the opposite, i.e. you carefully cut into a potato with knife beyond coming towards you, cut a tiny wedge, then break it off (knife/thumb action) then repeat somewhat laboriously from the outside in until the spud core is too small to hold.

The broken edge helps the pasty filling meld and stops that awful half-cooked diced cubes effect and avoids the splodge effect of the mushed sort.

Hope this helps.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox