Register

In the back of the cupboard...

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: In the back of the cupboard...

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:22 am

ha ha ha. This thread has made me chuckle.

No things to worry about here, as I've moved house a couple of times, which encourages a good clear out.
I recently lobbed bottles I'd not used, but you're talking about 5 or 6.
And small amounts of spices, such as dried tarragon.

Unfortunately, I was getting nicely to the end of the freezer contents, when Tony decided just to chuck everything inside.
Which included new frozen chicken and prawns needed for the last days cooking in our old house. :roll:

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:32 am

I've got a block of belacan that must date from the last millennium. I believe it was brought to the house when we moved in together, I doubt I'd have bought it since. It's wrapped up in multiple layers of plastic. I ought to try it one day, when Mrs B is out of the house. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:34 am

karadekoolaid wrote:OH buys some stuff when we are in Europe "to keep for a special occasion"

How curious. My OH does exactly the same thing. The truffle oil from 2007 went out while she was away.

I have had a tendency to do that in the past but I have trained myself out of it on the whole, though I do have a lot of truffle oil.

I don’t even like truffles :?

I now buy things I would buy anyway but which are better and/or cheaper there. Greek oregano, best olive oil, herbed de Provence etc.

Years ago butter was much cheaper in France than here and I did get a funny look from the checkout girl when I bought 1.5 kg of unsalted French butter ready for Christmas baking

Postby mistakened » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am

A couple of moves in the last five years has put paid to too much elderly stuff. However, I would like to put on record that when we moved to Cyprus my Mother brought in their luggage, a pack of candles labelled 1/10d that had previously been bought by my grandmother

Moira

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Do you do the “chucking out” for non-food items as well?

I can happily purge collections of magazines - usually given away to other, but I have lots of duplicates of maps. Mostly OS ones. I still have OS maps of Dartmoor that I bought for 3/6d when I did my first Scout hike at the age of 12 in 1958. It sits on the same shelf as newer maps of the same area. I find that it’s still interesting to browse them from a historical point of view.

I have also thrown out clothes that no longer fit. More recently because they are too big!! :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I have done loads of decluttering - and today am about to purge coats and outdoor jackets

Trouble is, because I don’t drive and things are closed for lockdown there is a stack of stuff in the attic, packed up ready to go

Postby Hope » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Aero - having been stuck in my house for the last 7 months, I am utterly sick of it! So in an attempt to make more space and make it nicer, i've been doing a whole lot of decluttering in general lately, which is why this came up! I've downsized my fabric stash hugely, read books I've had for years (only to find out they were rubbish) and then passed them on, sorted out my wardrobe (getting rid of summer clothes that I didn't wear this year), been through the boxes and boxes of the children's old drawings (just keepign the best). we're still bursting at the seams!

I've added the coconut milk powder along with its box to the compost. The polenta I've pulled to the front of the cupboard in the hope I might actually use it. going to have to look for recipes now. It's not that old, I'm sure I bought it within the last year, maybe even during lockdown when pasta was in short supply (as it seems to be again!) it's one of the few foods my eldest eats, so I will keep the pasta for him and feed hubby other stuff instead!

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm

aero280 wrote:Do you do the “chucking out” for non-food items as well?

I completely modernised my house in 2013/14 and everything was replaced other than my fridge freezer (which I've recently replaced) and a Victorian oak dining room table and chairs (which I had professionally refurbished). The local hospice shop benefited greatly from everything they got (they raised over £7K from the things I gave them). At the time, I vowed that I wouldn't acquire things on the scale that I'd done in the past but like all good resolutions, it got broken! I'm currently in the process of trying to do a mini life-laundry because I've run out of space again (I live alone in a large 4-bed house) :lol:

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I finished the last few drops of truffle oil on my half of a mushroom omelette the other morning, it was just on the turn....

Too many other things to mention, very magpie-ish

Postby Hope » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Pampy wrote: because I've run out of space again (I live alone in a large 4-bed house) :lol:

:o there's four of us living in a 2.5-bedroom house (well really 3 bedrooms, but youngest has the box room, which I think is awfully unfair!) we need more space. Wanna swap?! :lol:

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Isn't it the thing though, no matter how much room you have you always fill it :o .

Postby Seatallan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 pm

[quote="aero280"
I can happily purge collections of magazines - usually given away to other, but I have lots of duplicates of maps. Mostly OS ones. I still have OS maps of Dartmoor that I bought for 3/6d when I did my first Scout hike at the age of 12 in 1958. It sits on the same shelf as newer maps of the same area. I find that it’s still interesting to browse them from a historical point of view.

[/quote]

Snap! Mr S and I have a vast collection of maps and like you, we often keep the older ones for reference. We can both happily read OS maps the way some people read books. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Off at a bit of a tangent here.

After more than 1 instance of going out walking to find a particular place/landmark/whatever recently I have insisted we need some OS maps, relying on Google maps has caused some discord between hubby and myself.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:36 am

Slim P.
Bing maps is better for walkers - you can look at Ordance View and cop the walking OS version: (a bit like you can see street view on google maps).
Very handy.

Although I have a Garmin cycling computer for maps, if I remember to take it.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks Gill. I don't think I've ever used Bing!

Really wish I'd known this earlier, it would have saved us tramping across some very muddy "footpaths" in the wrong direction a few times :roll: .

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox