Register

Cured duck egg yolks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cured duck egg yolks

Postby mark111757 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Saw Matt tebbutts recipe for cheesy polenta and boudin noir and cured duck egg yolks. According to recipe...

To make the cured duck egg yolks, place the yolks in the soy, cider vinegar and caster sugar in a small bowl in the fridge. Cover and leave for 6 hours. Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature when you are ready to cook the rest of the dish.......

I am wondering could this be done and let set over night. Would it be a big deal??

If I was home I wanted to do this for Christmas lunch as a starter/nibbles.

Thanks guys.,....

Site Admin

Re: Cured duck egg yolks

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 pm

I'd no idea what they were (well apart from the obvious in the description), however on Googling, in some of the recipes they're salted for days, and in one recipe it says they can be prepared a month in advance.

You've got two months to do a dummy run! What about trying it with ordinary eggs, then it's only pennies down the drain if it doesn't work.

https://saturdaykitchenrecipes.com/matt ... ed-apples/

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:04 am

Soy, vinegar and sugar are all potent preservatives. I doubt a couple of extra hours would make a difference, Mark.
And as Sakks suggests - give it a go beforehand - with a common or garden egg and some common or garden blood sausage!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Ottolengi has a recipe in which he says no more than two hours. Depends on what consistency you want?

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/guests/ ... cured-yolk

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:46 pm

Been reading this with interest as it's totally new to me. Herbi has highlighted that the recipe she's posted suggests that the consistency of the yolk will change with time. I'm not very good at understanding chemical transformations, will the marinade ingredients gradually change the consistency of the yolks?

Up until now I've been more worried about lifting the yolks out intact!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:04 am

Interesting - I did the same as Sakks and had a quick(ish) look at other options.Yotam says 2 hrs, Yusuke Shimoki says 6 hrs, the LA Times says 3 hrs, a Japanese website says 24 hrs.
OK, so we´re back to dippy eggs vs hardboiled, I suppose. 8-)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:55 am

I am however reminded of two tragedies I've had, oversalted bacon and overfermented kimchi, so there probably is a happy medium...

Postby mark111757 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Thanks for all the input. Perhaps a dry run and trying it before hand is the way to go. My bro has access to a cooperative type store and you can get loose duck eggs for 13 cents each if you need two or three. Around 10p each I believe. So in this part cost is not a big deal.

I guess I am concerned that the yolk doesn't have any germs germs. Tho I like my eggs poached and over easy with runny centres. Mmmmmmmm (inset pic of homer Simpson drooling)

I will stay with tebbutts recipe for the time being

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:14 pm

You do ask such interesting questions, Mark.
I'd happily use raw egg yolks, so germs considered, you'd be fine. You'd need to check with the other diners I guess.
My painting friend cannot even look at raw egg in any form. She's allergic tho.

If Matt says 6hrs, I'd stick with that rather than editing his recipe.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:My painting friend cannot even look at raw egg in any form. She's allergic tho.

that cuts out using tempera then - what a shame.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:07 pm

There used to be concerns about raw duck eggs ... this is when when the eggs came from ducks accessing ponds which might be breeding grounds for bacteria including salmonella. When I was growing up on a farm duck eggs (from farmyard ducks using the pond) were only used for baking, so that they were cooked through. Never for fried, soft boiled etc.

Here in the UK there are regulations controlling the safety of commercially sold duck eggs ... the danger comes from eggs sold by small concerns on an informal unregulated basis.

I have no idea whether the same/similar standards and regulations apply in the US tho'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-49450442

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox