Register

waxed citrus fruit

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: waxed citrus fruit

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 pm

If you scrubbed them quite hard, then the tackiness could just have been the natural oil being released, and if you scratched the surface ay all, then neither outer skin not wax is protecting them

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Yeah... :(

I know it's my fault, but still (or perhaps even more) annoying! Will use the juice for something. Citron vert pressé if nothing else.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:29 pm

The problem is that, as I said earlier, citrus have a naturalwaxy coating. Foe export this is removed and replaced with a paraffin or other wax coating. As you discovered, if you remove the artificial wax coating, and it had no natural wax either so it deteriorates quickly. There’s probably a book subject somewhere in that ;)

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:48 pm

Damned annoying either way.

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 am

I imagine if the skin was damaged via scrubbing, the raw bits would oxidise wouldn't they? Not helpful re zest of course. I tried the hand-hot water and washing up liquid in the past and like you wondered if it was just a token gesture.

Then I said what the heck and put them (weighted down) under just-boiled water, as very hot water melts wax, right? Then ladled one out after a short while and wiped with kitchen paper, then repeated after all wiped. I doubt there could have been enough wax left in natural skin indentations to worry about.

How long they'd keep after doing that, dunno, probably not long since organic veg is not best known for its shelf life.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Yep!

I am now inclined to think it doesn't matter that much if they have wax on them. But I might get some unwaxed ones from Waitrose next time I am able to go.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox