Register

Different pastry types

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Different pastry types

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:37 am

How many are there?

Aside from plain, sweet, cheese/herb or wholemeal shortcrust, flaky/puff, and hot water crust, all basically standard. (I've forgotten what Jamaican patties with annatto comprise.)

I ask because I came across this one below (courtesy Pepper Pig in tuna link on Other Stuff).

It's for empanadillas which uses these items:
Olive oil and warm water (or dry white wine) (50:50),
salt,
plain flour,
egg yolks.

I'd never have dreamed that up, nor yet know how good it is, but it's different from "standard" and maybe others are?

Ta.

Scroll down a little to: "Pies with a tomato, pepper and tuna filling"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... udia-roden

Re: Different pastry types

Postby aero280 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:05 am

There are yeast risen pastries. The ones I know are used in Lardy Cakes and the like. The thin version is used in Spandauer - the genuine Danish pastries you get in Denmark.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:28 am

There´s also choux pastry. And cream cheese pastry.
The recipe for empanadillas looks interesting, although unless you´re absolutely determined to try it, I´d just use puff pastry.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:03 am

How long is a piece of string? There must be hundreds and hundreds, Jeral. Any type of flour can be made into pastry or a paste, which is what the word comes from. Pastry is often very regional and even very localised as well, often depending on ingredients and culinary traditions. For example, while I haven't come across the empanadilla pastry you posted, I use various versions of olive oil pastry for different dishes - there's a northern Italian green/veg tart that uses olive oil pastry, for instance. It's a pretty robust pastry.

Jamaican patties often use a flaky pastry coloured with turmeric or annatto.

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:41 am

Filo pastry too as an obvious one not mentioned

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:57 am

And there’s Moroccan brik (or brick) aka warqa pastry, which I’ve eaten but not made.

Also tride and rghaif (also Moroccan I think) which I’ve read about but never eaten let alone made. There are recipes online but I’ve no idea which are authentic.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 am

Sunflower shared a few back in the day for Chinese things, I've made some of them. I particularly remember the duck "pancakes", where you sandwich two bits of dough together which means you can roll them twice as thin. And to jump to a different continent, I've made samosa pastries which are not quite like any other.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50 am

There is indeed samosa pastry which I think is similar to the empanada pastry but without the egg
https://www.cookwithmanali.com/samosa-recipe/

Although many samosas are made with filo and baked those made with samosa pastry and fried are so much nicer

Then there’s the Turkish or Middle Eastern saç yufka which like brik could be considered a kind of pancake used as pastry

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks - a couple I will have to look up, including Jamaican patties to clarify as I've never seen a flaky one.

The samosas that Stokey Sue linked to are a real show stopper aren't they? I've saved the recipe for one of those times when you need escapism by fiddling about as a break from "things that must be done".

Yes that all flours can make pastes, so on reflection therefore if must be the inclusion of eggs that threw me. Perhaps the empanadillas are thereby made to be filling as well as wholesome despite their small size?

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:There is indeed samosa pastry which I think is similar to the empanada pastry but without the egg
https://www.cookwithmanali.com/samosa-recipe/

Looks really good - might have to. Haven't had samosas for ages. Other v good looking recipes on there too.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:34 pm

madhur jaffrey's recipe (eastern veg. cooking) for samosa dough is a little different to that one.

180g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
4tbs soft unsalted butter
plus 5tbs of water.

it's the one i make.

and mamta's.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:26 pm

I have to say I linked to that one because it was the first good illustration I came across
I have made a version from another of Madhur Jaffrey's books, which used oil like Mamta's
Tony Singh recommends using a pasta machine to roll out the pastry if you have one

I haven't bothered to make them for a long time, as they are so easy to buy round here, but what really made me think of it was that I bought one from a young woman at a local flea market, and the pastry was so good I complimented her on it, so much nicer than filo

If I'm ever able to throw a party again, I'll get some from Kashmiri Kebabish who make lovely little ones that work as canapés

Postby halfateabag » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:04 pm

A question for the pastry makers....... At the weekend I had my slow cooker on with some FREE pork bones, ribs etc. I have now chilled down the stock and there is a lovely layer of pork fat on top which I have removed from the stock and want to have a go at using it for hot water crust pastry? Would this work or should I use it for a savoury pastry to make a pork scrappulings pie with apples etc. Any advice gratefully received.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Does anyone else remember Clarissa making see-through very thin filo (probably named something else) on a Two Fat Ladies programme? It was very impressive.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:27 pm

halfateabag wrote:A question for the pastry makers....... At the weekend I had my slow cooker on with some FREE pork bones, ribs etc. I have now chilled down the stock and there is a lovely layer of pork fat on top which I have removed from the stock and want to have a go at using it for hot water crust pastry? Would this work or should I use it for a savoury pastry to make a pork scrappulings pie with apples etc. Any advice gratefully received.

I always accumulate and save the fat that lays on the top of home-made stock... never thought of using it in pastry. No idea what a scrappulings pie is though :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:33 pm

I would assume that you can use for pastry any fat that at room temperature is the right consistency to rub in

A lot of the "by product" drippings are probably too solid, they might work in hot water crust, but my one attempt at that was not a success

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:40 pm

halfateabag wrote:A question for the pastry makers....... At the weekend I had my slow cooker on with some FREE pork bones, ribs etc. I have now chilled down the stock and there is a lovely layer of pork fat on top which I have removed from the stock and want to have a go at using it for hot water crust pastry? Would this work or should I use it for a savoury pastry to make a pork scrappulings pie with apples etc. Any advice gratefully received.

Works fine fine for hw pastry.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 pm

I might worry about the fat's flavour if used for sweet things. Only because lards sold for pastry have been de-flavoured to be quite neutral, whereas "straight from the pan" dripping or stock fat probably still has a lot of flavour.

Alternatively to pastry, plenty of cooking uses for pork fat dripping. A slice of fried bread for starters :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 pm

jeral wrote:I might worry about the fat's flavour if used for sweet things. Only because lards sold for pastry have been de-flavoured to be quite neutral, whereas "straight from the pan" dripping or stock fat probably still has a lot of flavour.

Claramente. For savoury dishes.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Surely rendered pork fat is Lard and clarified beef ‘drippings’ is Dripping. Dripping is used for frying and lard is used for pastry.

:)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox