Register

Christmas cake faux pas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Christmas cake faux pas

Postby Hickybank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:22 pm

I baked my Christmas cake today. (Delia.s classic) as I did last year
140c for 4 1/2hours
After 3 1/2 hours I suddenly though but my oven is fan assisted, Delias recipe does not mention fan it just says oven
Other sources on the internet say reduce heat by 20c & bake for 3 hours.
I took the cake out after about 3 1/2 hours I think it is o/k certainly cooked.
I am hoping the feeding with Brandy will make it o/k
The tin was wrapped in a double layer of parchment & top covered as well

Or am I panicking over nothing

Re: Christmas cake faux pas

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 pm

As long as you're confident it's fully cooked, I don't think you've anything to worry about, especially as you'll be adding liquid. The only danger of over-cooking at low temperatures would be drying out, and that will be remedied.

My understanding of fan cooking is that you either reduce the temperature or the baking time - not both!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm

The test of a skewer coming out clean applies to Christmas cake or rich fruit cakes, so if it passed that test it should be fine.

I know that age-old test still applies in this modern cooker age because this lady confirms it in a short video, with other tips that might be a bit late for you but nevertheless:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... KG9KyoBw26

Postby Hickybank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Suelle wrote:As long as you're confident it's fully cooked, I don't think you've anything to worry about, especially as you'll be adding liquid. The only danger of over-cooking at low temperatures would be drying out, and that will be remedied.

My understanding of fan cooking is that you either reduce the temperature or the baking time - not both!

Thanks Suelle, the danger of the internet is there is a lot of false information out there.

It is springy to the touch, Some of the fruit on top is a little dry & hard but I may well slice that off anyway & use as the base,
Cheers
Terry

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Just a thought, if when you do cut into it, it's obviously undercooked, it should be possible to rescue slices by 15 second blasts in a loose lid pot in the microwave. (Been there, done that.)

Harder at Xmas if not cutting until then, e.g. announcement: "Xmas cake might take a moment or three." ;) Or if in doubt, maybe cut into slices now to check and then feed and wrap individually so ready to serve? Depends how worried you are.

I'd be thinking Phew! at least it's not burnt or overdone as even drowning slices in custard wouldn't remedy that.

Re dry or burnt fruit on the top, we were told with all things currants or sultanas etc to poke any visible ones well down before baking. I recall previously just digging off any top dry ones before putting on flaked almonds for a Dundee cake.

Postby Hickybank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 pm

jeral wrote:The test of a skewer coming out clean applies to Christmas cake or rich fruit cakes, so if it passed that test it should be fine.

I know that age-old test still applies in this modern cooker age because this lady confirms it in a short video, with other tips that might be a bit late for you but nevertheless:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... KG9KyoBw26

Thanks Jeral I think sometimes we worry too much, skewer comes out clean & it is springy to the touch, just had a panic moment

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:49 pm

I decided that baking times per recipes were different and sometimes 50% out from times in my oven. Doesn't stop panic or bewilderment till I calm down and think. Hence the Phew re not burnt, as burnt is what some people report of their charred offering having followed a recipe to the letter. Trust in your common sense I reckon, which you did, so all is well :)

Postby Hickybank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 pm

jeral wrote:I decided that baking times per recipes were different and sometimes 50% out from times in my oven. Doesn't stop panic or bewilderment till I calm down and think. Hence the Phew re not burnt, as burnt is what some people report of their charred offering having followed a recipe to the letter. Trust in your common sense I reckon, which you did, so all is well :)

Thanks Jeral, I am pretty sure it is o/k, as you say "trust your instincts"

I do love a good fruit cake. if I am not happy then the birds will have a massive Christmas feast :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:10 am

If it’s overly moist warm it up and serve with custard, cream, hard sauce etc. No need for the birds to have it. :o

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:40 am

Same as last year you said, Hickybank? How did it turn out last year? Don't know if you had the same oven ÷)

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

Same as last year you said, Hickybank? How did it turn out last year? Don't know if you had the same oven ÷)

Last years was fine, & it is the same oven, just me getting older I think :D
I have checked this morning & it is definitely overcooked, dry & hard on the top bottom & sides.
I have attacked it with a knife & took a slice off all over.
I think will will just keep feeding it Brandy & hope Marzipan Icing will help moisten it up.
It is only for the two of us so no pressure.
Thanks
Terry

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 am

Possibly it wasn't covered/padded enough for the outside and inside to both cook evenly and thus the outside overcooked in order for the inside to cook nicely? If you can glide a skewer in without having to use a hammer it should be fine!

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:44 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Possibly it wasn't covered/padded enough for the outside and inside to both cook evenly and thus the outside overcooked in order for the inside to cook nicely? If you can glide a skewer in without having to use a hammer it should be fine!

The skewer goes in easily & I think the Brandy should help; fingers crossed

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am

Brandy always helps ... it’s medicinal ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 pm

I never understand why more cake recipes don’t give the target internal temperature, most should get to 95°C or a little more, and while not everyone has a suitable thermometer a lot of people do have roasting or instant reading thermometers that will do the job

Here are the temperatures suggested by thermapen, which is what I have - there are now good cheaper instant reading thermometers around

https://thermapen.co.uk/temperature-guide.pdf

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Hickybank wrote:
Suelle wrote:As long as you're confident it's fully cooked, I don't think you've anything to worry about, especially as you'll be adding liquid. The only danger of over-cooking at low temperatures would be drying out, and that will be remedied.

Thanks Suelle, the danger of the internet is there is a lot of false information out there.

It is springy to the touch, Some of the fruit on top is a little dry & hard but I may well slice that off anyway & use as the base,
Cheers
Terry

The notes to my Hotpoint oven state "Because the fan oven cooks so efficiently, we recommend that when cooking any recipes not designed for a fan oven, you reduce the temperature by about 25 deg C and the time by about 10 minutes in the hour".
I've thought about this quite a few times - every recipe I've seen which gives the choice, says to reduce the temperature by 20 deg, with no reference to time. I mainly to do savoury dishes, so I suppose the odd ten minutes here or there wouldn't make much difference?

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I never understand why more cake recipes don’t give the target internal temperature, most should get to 95°C or a little more, and while not everyone has a suitable thermometer a lot of people do have roasting or instant reading thermometers that will do the job

Here are the temperatures suggested by thermapen, which is what I have - there are now good cheaper instant reading thermometers around

That's useful, SSue. I didn't realise bread would be cooked when it reached such a low temperature. I use my Thermapen in cakes with a lot of fresh fruit or other source of moisture, as a skewer test isn't always reliable in that situation.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I never understand why more cake recipes don’t give the target internal temperature, most should get to 95°C or a little more, and while not everyone has a suitable thermometer a lot of people do have roasting or instant reading thermometers that will do the job

Thanks Sue, I never thought of that & I have two internal cooking thermometers.

I have saved that information & will print it off to keep handy
Thanks

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:30 pm

I’m reading this with interest. Will be trying this recipe for the first time and also have a fan oven with no option to turn the fan off.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:57 pm

WolfGirl wrote:I’m reading this with interest. Will be trying this recipe for the first time and also have a fan oven with no option to turn the fan off.

I had no option either, so looks like I sould have baked at 120c not 140 as Delia.s book says
Also at least a double layer of baking parchment on the outside of the cake tin & top, keeping it from touching the cake mix

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox