Register

Christmas cake faux pas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Christmas cake faux pas

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:24 am

I did think that spreadable butter had a lot of water in it. I remember reading/watching something about this a while back... but can't find anything online. I had assumed this was why it's really bad for 'greasing' tins etc. when baking

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:31 am

Most cakes are made with solid fats. Some recipes, even those that might now be called classic, such as carrot cake, are typically made with vegetable oil (is it more common over the pond?) and olive oil is used in Italian baking. Surely there's no reason why a cake can't be made with a mixture of the two, which as Suelle says, is the case with spreadable butter.

I tend to use butter in baking. I unhesitatingly use spreads or oils if short of butter, or for greasing tins, or if the consumers would prefer for any reason. I once subbed the butter in HF-W's wonderful chocolate chestnut truffle cake with OO, for the benefit of a friend who wasn't eating dairy products. The result was horrible.

The water content varies - any spread called 'lite' or 'lighter' will have a higher water content than the others. Look at the fat content in the nutrition box. Butter is about 80%. If total fat is lower than this it's because water has been added.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 am

herbidacious wrote:I did think that spreadable butter had a lot of water in it. I remember reading/watching something about this a while back... but can't find anything online. I had assumed this was why it's really bad for 'greasing' tins etc. when baking

Ignoring “lite” versions, as Suelle says it can be made by adding cream or buttermilk to the butter, these will be wetter than the unmixed butter ie analysis will show a slightly lower proportion of fat and a slightly higher proportion of water than block butter, but this doesn’t mean any actual water is added in processing

And as Suelle says, if someone like Delia or Mary Berry states spreadable butter that’s how the recipe was tested and it’s safest to stick to the instructions

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:54 am

Just for interest I might do a side by side comparison of the two versions of the recipe. If I have time...

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am

I've noticed that some spreads with the word 'buttery' prominently displayed on the label are also suitable for vegans. Closer inspection shows the 'buttery' to be followed by a less prominent 'taste'. :roll:

Postby smitch » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Flora Buttery has gone back to adding dairy to the recipe so is no longer vegan. There might still be some older stock floating around though.

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:15 pm

i now make 'spreadable butter' - 170 g light olive oil, 250g pack of unsalted butter and a little salt (¼-⅓ tsp , the 'pinch' in the 'pig' is roughly three to the teaspoon) - the recipe i roughly followed is here no water or other additives. it works really well.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:52 pm

I noticed that Flora now does a brick of stuff.

Postby Busybee » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:12 pm

My Christmas cakes are in the oven, the kitchen smells devine.

I use Terry’s boiled fruit cake recipe with a few tweaks, I keep the fruit weight the same but start with cherries, macadamia nuts and mixed peel - because we like those ingredients and then make up to the 1lb weight with mixed dried fruit.

It’s an easy cake to make and always gets compliments.

BB

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:56 pm

herbidacious wrote:I did think that spreadable butter had a lot of water in it. I remember reading/watching something about this a while back... but can't find anything online. I had assumed this was why it's really bad for 'greasing' tins etc. when baking

It's not a huge difference - my spreadable butter is 80% fat, whereas traditional butter is around 82-84%.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Flora Pro-Active Buttery is still suitable for vegans

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

All I can say when I made the stupid mistake of greasing a cake tin with anchor spreadable, the result was a bit disastrous.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Sorry to hear that. I've not experienced that problem and have often used a spread or spreadable butter for greasing tins. It would have been a recommendation, but maybe not now...

Postby smitch » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:46 pm

I've used Anchor Spreadable to grease tins and in the cake itself. I've also used Stork quite a bit and have a spray now to use in cake tins.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:22 am

I used it to grease a bundt tin when making a cake for work. It stuck and I had to make another.

When I mentioned this on Wildies, someone said that this was to be expected if I used spreadable butter, or words to that effect.

I use spray too now when I used bundt tins. Sometimes brush on melted butter as well!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:57 am

I think the problem was probably more new Bundt tin than Anchor spreadable

Postby Busybee » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:53 pm

I posted a picture of my Christmas cakes on Facebook- ( I can never get pictures to post here), I now have another two cakes to bake!

I’ve run out of cherries, macadamia nuts and flour so it will have to wait until after my next Tesco order next week.

It will keep me out of mischief.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:23 pm

It wasn't new, Sue.

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 pm

I've always thought that bog standard marg is best for greasing, so I keep some in the freezer solely for that purpose. (Not light, spreadable, enhanced this, reduced that etc.)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:01 pm

My mother used to keep all the old marge papers to grease tins with. I still do it!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox