Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:38 pm

jeral wrote:I'll get them on to boil soonest.

Too late now - they'll still be undercooked come Christmas Day.

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Ode to a Sprout ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Lovely Uschi! I really like the gas mask ;)

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I did that ages ago for someone on another board who loved his sprouts, but whose wife did not like the emissions - hence the gas mask.

Postby aero280 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Aero, the smoked salmon trimmings are back in stock.

Ah! I might have to find an excuse to go round there. :)

They weren't there on Friday when I had a look.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:07 pm

My Daughter and her boyfriend are getting a Christmas tree, this will be their first Christmas in their own home so I'm going to look out the tree decorations that my Dad gave me which were his and Mums.
Their cat, Jaskier will climb the tree though so that will be fun!

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:27 pm

My daughter has just got 2 kittens, I'm thinking a Christmas tree might not be a good idea :o :lol: .

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Oh, but they'll love it :lol: :lol:.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:52 pm

My excuse for using a rather scruffy artificial tree for many years was that that my two big bruisers of cats didn’t trust the thin wire branches and wouldn’t climb it :lol:

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:31 pm

I don't bother with one now, it's just me and I'm not fussed, but I cant wait to see photos of my Grandkitten, (yes he is!), climbing their tree! :D

Postby mark111757 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Jeral/AmyW

Actually there is a soup of the day. I think sometimes pre planned and others depending on what was left over from lunch and dinner the day before. Nothing wrong with that. Shows creativity with what you have. Side salads are available even tho they might not be listed on the menu. Before covid came along chef put together a delightful onion soup.

herbi

I was fortunate enough to be able to get beer with a meal and not have it screw up my meds.

EM

Thank you for the kind words on my posts. I know many are off the beaten path but there are times that I get the feeling that a certain chef or country thinks theirs is better than all. If I see something that looks good I will post it. Such as the great Kenyan bake off. Of stuff from AU or NZ. That it why I like to use the down load circuit. As long as you know what you are doing it works for me. And there are things that would never see the light of day over here. Talking of tater tots do a net search for cowboy casserole. Tots and mince beef and cheese.

Jeral

Instead of Baileys I would suggest coole swan. I got turned on to that from the cooking shows of Nevan Maguire (from RTE). You ming find something on you tube. So I tried a bottle. It was do nice and smooth......

Uschi

Yes if you like you can get hot meal at lunch and supper. Even dbl portion if you like

Several years ago I went into hospital for eye surgery. And the nurses and aides were all saying if were here on a certain day that you must try the prime rib. As it happened I was there on the day and I did try it and it was very very good. Cane with a side of au jus. I was gobsmacked. The first and only time I had prime rib in hospital. Mind you this was for patients and staff and guests. Mind you this was a teaching hospital and that could have included the kitchen/nutrition too.

More to follow.....

Postby mark111757 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:23 am

Part 2

Talking of soup, chef made a wonderful onion soup. No cheats here. She cooked the onions low and slow. With croutons and cheese on top. Swiss I think. Well seasoned too. There was lovely flavour of thyme. It was so good. I made a P-I-G hog of myself and asked for a second bowl. It was that good. Something not on the regular menu.

Wednesday mid morning there was a knock on the door and it was chef. She had made buffalo chix egg rolls from scratch. They were delightful. The filling was (in the words of tom kerridge) lush.. Theory had just come from the deep fryer. Crispy and crunchy. The seasoning was spot on. Mild hot sauce flavouring. Not outrageous just a nice warmth in the back of the throat. Came with some ranch dressing to dip.

At the moment in the facility we are on quarantine or room arrest as I call it. So little things like that do help morale.

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:21 am

Sounds like you're in a decent place, Mark. Room arrest must be very frustrating but better than risking exposure to the coronavirus. The onion soup sounds really nice - I do think that thyme is a great partner to onions.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am

mark111757 wrote:Part 2

Talking of soup, chef made a wonderful onion soup. No cheats here. She cooked the onions low and slow. With croutons and cheese on top. Swiss I think. Well seasoned too. There was lovely flavour of thyme. It was so good. I made a P-I-G hog of myself and asked for a second bowl. It was that good. Something not on the regular menu.

Wednesday mid morning there was a knock on the door and it was chef. She had made buffalo chix egg rolls from scratch. They were delightful. The filling was (in the words of tom kerridge) lush.. Theory had just come from the deep fryer. Crispy and crunchy. The seasoning was spot on. Mild hot sauce flavouring. Not outrageous just a nice warmth in the back of the throat. Came with some ranch dressing to dip.

At the moment in the facility we are on quarantine or room arrest as I call it. So little things like that do help morale.

Now you are just making us jealous Mark, but good food aids recovery, so wishing you all the best, good vibes from everyone on here :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:56 pm

In the days when hospital food was better, my dad would clock watch. I thought I must be boring him intolerably when he said, "Oh, you'll be going now". I said I could stay a bit longer if he wanted. "Oh no", he says with a big smile, "my dinner's due now".
Good enticing food is so important.

Being in the brig on one's own, even at Christmas since it's freezing outside, is not that bad now with more TV channels and the internet of course. (My worst dread would be a power cut.)
mark111757, lay off the Coole Swan or they'll throw you in the drunk tank :mrgreen:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm

jeral wrote:Being in the brig on one's own, even at Christmas since it's freezing outside, is not that bad now with more TV channels and the internet of course. (My worst dread would be a power cut.)

Jeral, do you live on a boat?

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Ha ha, no although I sway a lot as if I am sometimes :wino Actually not really, given my capacity to take booze plus I'm never as thunk as I drink I am (< quote by ?). Brig is a military confinement cell by the way. Not bridge, so I sure wouldn't be steering anything, using heavy machinery, waltzing with pans of hot oil etc..

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:34 pm

jeral wrote:Brig is a military confinement cell by the way.

What you do learn on this board!!

Postby mark111757 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Another Thursday under way

For those curious, here is this weeks menu

Here is lunch

For those wondering about Cornell chix

http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/ ... -barbecues

This was a Sunday staple growing up in our house. Maybe every 4 to 6 weeks depending what mum could find grocery store and was on sale.

Had a nice surprise this morning as activities stopped by with coffee or hot chocolate, chef had made Choc no bake cookies. So that was certainly worth while.

Oh yeah in the next couple of weeks she mentioned doing white chix chili. Told her to sign me up. Nice white sauce. And chix and beans. A little grated Cheddar on top,..more than works

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox