Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:58 am

Properly made sausage gravy is delicious! :yum

Agree about the eggs though. I think, though may be wrong, that it is similar on the Continent where many US habits originated. I expect in days gone by it was easier to cook for large households that way. It was yet another thing I had discussions with my late friend about. He told me that when he was a child, egg cups were something that were only used for high days and holidays as a posh means of presenting the (hard yolked) egg before it was taken out of the cup and put on the plate to be eaten. Soft boiled eggs and soldiers were a revelation. I'm sure they're served soft boiled in some places.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:54 pm

In many places all boiled eggs seem to be hard boiled - you certainly nearly always get them with hotel breakfast in both the Netherlands and in Germany, and other countries though I’m not sure how traditional that is further south

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:58 pm

I don't doubt that proper sausage gravy would be delicious, but with hard boiled eggs, (cold) toast and bacon jam ????

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Eeew no!

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:24 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:I’ll never understand why Americans (and any other country) serves boiled eggs like that for breakfast :?. I mean, c’mon how can you dip soldiers into an egg that’s lying flat on a plate and probably cold and solid as a rock :lol:. Nothing better than a nice hot soft boiled egg, in a proper eggcup, served with soldiers.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Soft boiled eggs - :vomit :vomit

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:44 pm

On the menus shown, hard boilled eggs feature frequently as does sausage gravy to a lesser extent. Ergo, people must like the combo.

I don't personally know what makes the combo good, although meat and egg is not unusual and I don't see the point of a runny yolk mixing with e.g. tomato sauce in some dishes, so at least a hard boiled egg wouldn't mix in. Or maybe the sausage gravy is to drink if it's on the side, like Bovril tea.

Can't beat runny egg and fried bread! So there!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:18 pm

The best piece of advice I was given when I first went to the USA was to remember that despite the similarity in the language it is in fact a foreign country, and things are done very differently

The objections to the foods Mark is offered seem to be mainly that they aren’t what you’d expect here, but they won’t be, any more than they would be in say Italy or Norway

I had the biggest breakfast of my life one Sunday in North Carolina - chef realised he had an audience and kept bringing me little extras, mostly delicious but not at all what I’d expect from a British breakfast buffet

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:43 pm

jeral wrote:

Is that directed at my comment? If it is - surely I'm allowed to state my opinion?

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Pampy wrote:
jeral wrote:

Is that directed at my comment? If it is - surely I'm allowed to state my opinion?

Eh? Nah. It was a defiant stance for something that could soon be gone for good.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 pm

jeral wrote: I don't personally know what makes the combo good, although meat and egg is not unusual and I don't see the point of a runny yolk mixing with e.g. tomato sauce in some dishes, so at least a hard boiled egg wouldn't mix in. Or maybe the sausage gravy is to drink if it's on the side, like Bovril tea. Can't beat runny egg and fried bread! So there!

Mmm, runny egg and fried bread! :yum
I'd assumed that the sausage gravy mentioned was the gravy usually served for breakfast with 'biscuits' (i.e. scone like things) which is a tasty white sauce with little pieces of sausage in it and quite delicious. I wouldn't mind it with hardboiled egg - it was the cold toast and bacon jam I'd not be so keen on (just personal preference)!

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Ah! Saus gravy is now in a whole new light, and quite a good one IMO.

Spurred on to finding out more, this blogger
https://feastgloriousfeast.com/sausage-gravy/
said he described it as a bechamel over here whereby the saus gravy promptly received acceptance, including for pastas/strog. Also says he's tried it with bacon and intends to with chorizo.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:49 pm

jeral wrote:could soon be gone for good.

???

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

ZeroCook, it's hard to envisage fried bread's future when crostini and croutons have taken over, nor in the breakfast landscape of fat-free muesli, seed breads and fruit/veg/ smoothies whilst cooked breakfasts have grown even scarcer.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:07 pm

I wouldn’t agree with that at all. Crostini and croutons are totally different things to fried bread in the way they’re used .

And I wouldn’t say cooked breakfasts have grown scarce at all . Most cafes I know offer them in some way and there are still plenty of greasy spoons with an assortment of cooked breakfasts on offer , plus pubs like Wetherspoons do a roaring trade

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Yes Amyw, very different uses and some might say that crostini was more versatile, not to mention easier. and less fatty.

Certainly cooked breakfasts are still big in demand if eating out, but you might (or not) agree that they are rarely cooked daily at home either by working people or those not. More likely cereal or toast/roll and marmalade than a bacon or sausage sarnie or egg butty or a sit-down beans/egg on toast/fried bread.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:31 am

jeral wrote:ZeroCook, it's hard to envisage fried bread's future when crostini and croutons have taken over, nor in the breakfast landscape of fat-free muesli, seed breads and fruit/veg/ smoothies whilst cooked breakfasts have grown even scarcer.

Ah. I thought you meant soft boiled eggs and couldn't work out why that would be! I think cooked breakfasts will stick around in many variations but would never notice if fried bread disappears as it's not something I've ever eaten out of choice or upbringing as we always had toasters. You rest your case :lol: On a more serious cooking level tho, it's quite a regional UK and Irish thing as far as I know and probably falling into disuse due to more choices rather than fat consumption - a Spanish breakfast eater will often slather tons of evoo onto morning rolls. So crostoni by another name ...

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:05 am

jeral wrote:Yes Amyw, very different uses and some might say that crostini was more versatile, not to mention easier. and less fatty.

Certainly cooked breakfasts are still big in demand if eating out, but you might (or not) agree that they are rarely cooked daily at home either by working people or those not. More likely cereal or toast/roll and marmalade than a bacon or sausage sarnie or egg butty or a sit-down beans/egg on toast/fried bread.

Can’t argue with what you say about breakfasts and I think it’s a time thing now with folks working differently to the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. when I was at school I always had a cooked breakfast and also when I started work. When flexi time started in the mid 70’s I didn’t have time for a cooked breakfast but grabbed some cereal or toast so I could get to work early so I could finish early.

I enjoy a cooked breakfast when I’m out and occasionally will have it for tea as a change. I almost never have a cooked breakfast at home at what would be regarded as the traditional time but I do enjoy a bacon or sausage sandwich etc mid morning.

Cheers

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:25 am

My OH 'struggles' with 'meat' for brekkie but will happily site down to a full monty nearer midday.

Can't remember the last time I had boiled egg and soldiers.

On eggs, our Sunday lunch yesterday, was a 1st, omelette Arnold Bennet, (Arbroath Smokie not smoked haddock), Asparagus, a small mixed salad and a crumpet, toasted with a scrapuling of sweet german mustard. It was delicious ! :yum

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 am

halfateabag wrote:My OH 'struggles' with 'meat' for brekkie but will happily site down to a full monty nearer midday.

On eggs, our Sunday lunch yesterday, was a 1st, omelette Arnold Bennet, (Arbroath Smokie not smoked haddock), Asparagus, a small mixed salad and a crumpet, toasted with a scrapuling of sweet german mustard. It was delicious ! :yum

I’m a bit confused :?. An Arbroath Smokie is smoked haddock.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_smokie

Cheers

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:
halfateabag wrote:My OH 'struggles' with 'meat' for brekkie but will happily site down to a full monty nearer midday.

I’m a bit confused :?. An Arbroath Smokie is smoked haddock.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_smokie

Cheers

But very different....smoked haddock is cold smoked and is raw and should be cooked.
Arbroath smokies are whole haddock, hot smoked and therefore cooked. They are the most delicious treat.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox