Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:14 pm

would she be well/moveable enough to book you all in to a hotel (if available) for the night and dinner? if not, if you stayed at a hotel would they be able to make up 'a picnic hamper' or tiffin boxes for you to take to her's for a christmas meal?

ps. one year i was fed up of spending hours in the kitchen and pre-prepped and froze as much as possible - most veg i did as boil in the bag then prepped roast potatoes and parsnips the day before. i'm not sure that anyone noticed the difference other than that i had more time to play games.
tiffin boxes are useful in the fact that they (and the contents) can also be heated up in the oven, used as serving dishes, then taken home to wash in the dishwasher.

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Herbi, a lot of the Christmas pre-order food is separate to the supermarket delivery slots. You pick a store and a time and go collect. There might be somewhere convenient on the way up north. Otherwise, my local Sainsburys is opening super early for collections. The food will be fine in the car, it is pretty cold at that time of year.

Have you spoken to your GP about your anxiety? Nothing is worth getting this worked up over, even Christmas or difficult parents :newhuggy

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm

My mother is bed and chair bound. And she also has to be within a few inches of a commode at all times. She would not want to go elsewhere, though, even if she feasibily could. It would cause her a lot of anxiety, which she suffers from a lot, these days. In addition to this, she would not want to eat anything a hotel would offer unless it was a very high end one prepared to cater to her desires. (Lots of 'nos'.) And it would exhaust her. She is very frail.

She will want the same as last year. That's what I shall buy and take up in a cool bag. We need to get up there asap on Christmas Eve so don't want to stop off, plus too dicey if there are slots. It can take anything between 3.5 and 7 hours (3.5 being on Christmas Day) to get to hers. It's very unpredictable. Last time, travelling on a Monday after rush hour it took 5.5 hours.

No I haven't spoken to my GP about my anxiety. As I said it's not just Christmas. Going to my mother's in normal times is a huge problem for me. It might not sound like it should be but it's definitely a case of 'you have to be there' and indeed me. (It's not just physical stuff that makes trips difficult.) But there are other things going on too and I think the anxiety is pretty justified tbh.

Anway perhaps the thread should return to the more joyful side of Christmas...?! I was in the attic yesterday, and caught a glimpse of a rather nice wreath I must have bought last year and forgotten about.

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:11 pm

herbidacious wrote:
No I haven't spoken to my GP about my anxiety. As I said it's not just Christmas. Going to my mother's in normal times is a huge problem for me. It might not sound like it should be but it's definitely a case of 'you have to be there' and indeed me. (It's not just physical stuff that makes trips difficult.) But there are other things going on too and I think the anxiety is pretty justified tbh.

Sorry I mentioned that, I was just trying to be supportive.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 pm

smitch wrote:
Sorry I mentioned that, I was just trying to be supportive.

Sorry, Smitch. You were, and I appreciate it. Sorry if it sounded like I was snapping. :newhuggy

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Never mind Christmas. I've just received an email from a local farm shop reminding me they're now taking turkey orders for Thanksgiving :?.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Never mind Christmas. I've just received an email from a local farm shop reminding me they're now taking turkey orders for Thanksgiving :?.

It is "Sankt Martin's geese" here. Mind you, St Martin (Children going round the houses with lanterns singing, not carrols, but St Martin's songs. This is now being replaced by Halloween. A pity, I love both

both.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:43 pm

I confess, I just nearly made mice tarts. (I only didn't because the jar must have had its lid loosened when it fell off the wall, so it had gone off. I fear the idea may be lodged in my head now...)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:53 pm

I’m sure Uschi has a picture for mice tarts!

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 pm

I only have rodent tarts ...

or did you mean this kind ...

... other than that I only have mice farts ... or rather one mouse farting ....

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Ha! Doh I am a disaster zone today, even on the typing front. (Mind you my typing is always disastrous.)

The marmalade tarts overflowed. Orange toffee on the oven floor now.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Very funny, Uschi :)

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 pm

I hope it helps with today's mishaps. Put a cloth with some washing up liquid on the oven floor as soon as it is not too hot to touch anymore.

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:43 pm

Yes I do that Uschi for hob and oven spills, i.e. washing up liquid spread with finger or suitable kitchen spray cleaner, then hot wettish dishcloth left sitting on it. After a while (and cloth still damp) most spills wipe off, well certainly most of the spillage.

I might forego tinsel for decorations this year, as I'm still finding bits that have wormed their way into the carpet from last year :lol: How does it do that? I've got nearly a hundred baubles that go on a relatively small tree, but I'd really love one or two of those beautiful painted globe ones (@£15 each), which I'd probably break before doing anything with them, tsk!. Might just print pictures of them to cut out ;)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:53 pm

There's removable liner on the floor. Hopefully that caught the drips. The tart tin may be a bother to clean. Boiling water, I suppose.

Postby Uschi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 am

Denture tablets work wonders, too. Failing that, dishwasher tablets.

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 am

Yes, boiling water is what I'd try first with full expectation of 99% success. The rule is to start always with the least harsh option and progress from there and to make sure the window is open when all else fails and you want to chuck it out of one ;)

Did you manage to salvage any of the tarts to eat? Hope so.

(Sorry Uschi, crossposted at exactly the same time. Spooky.)

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 am

I love the look of relief on the face of the farting mouse!

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:00 pm

i thought it was smug pride rather than relief!

Postby Hickybank » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 pm

WD40 works on most things, it shifts superglue, so well worth a try.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox