Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:42 pm

Oh Uschi, that sounds wonderful!!

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Uschi, thanks - and for the excellent advice to start with a bigger portion than needed and not forgetting to sample. Often, perhaps... ;)

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:26 pm

We have an interesting Christmas related problem. Because of the lock down etc, few listing magazines are being despatched here, those that you see are at least 10 days out of date.
So we have a cunning plan, ask my SIL to buy the Christmas/ New Year Radio Times and ask her to send it by courier out her, the post is worse than usual at Christmas. Now the dilemma is whether to ask our friends if they wish to place an order too, the freight charge will be the same. We would charge the UK face price only not the usual import price, roughly twice the cost

Moira

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:33 pm

mistakened, do you mean it would be twice the cost for each item? So that "the freight charge will be the same" means per item, or in total for several items?

If friends' mags would be merely soaking up spare capacity that's being paid for anyway, you could ask them. If I wanted a mag I'd certainly offer to pay a fair portion of the freight as well. I might even if I didn't want one as you were a friend trying to do a thoughtful good turn, which I value and make the world a better place so are to be encouraged :)

Spare capacity is the sort of thing whereby you'll remember what else you could have had sent to you the minute it's too late, Doh.

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I'll get it then. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hi Uschi.
You'll be busy getting ready for your Christmas baking marathons.

I am indeed. I am slowly stashing up on ground nuts/almonds, marzipan, decorations and whatnot. I ordered "mooncake" cutters from China and took possession of them today - and I am over the moon.
This is what I am tAlking about. The size is perfect, but I am not sure yet, how well they will perform..
https://www.ebay.de/i/392722640335?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-134425-41852-0&mkcid=2&itemid=392722640335&targetid=994008085376&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044836&poi=&campaignid=10199424622&mkgroupid=101937415677&rlsatarget=aud-558316660944:pla-994008085376&abcId=1145992&merchantid=138394620&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh7_RqYbf7AIVyYTVCh2GZwzpEAQYASABEgKRgfD_BwE

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:24 pm

jeral wrote:mistakened, do you mean it would be twice the cost for each item? So that "the freight charge will be the same" means per item, or in total for several items?
It means that under normal circumstances we are asked to pay about twice the cost of the item in the UK. Eg a magazine costing £2 50 on your local High Street would cost E 5 00, slightly under twice the price. The courier price would be the same as the cost is per item, not weight,
But SIL has to cooperate first

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:20 pm

Uschi, they're posh! I hope they perform nicely for you when they arrive.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:24 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Is the prawn patia sweet and spicy? I won't be able to get a sweetness element past Tony :( He's also developed a recent need to scrutinise labels for their natural sugar content in particular. It really is a thing with him!

Hot and sour, not sweet as in noticeable.
Mamta's Prawn Patia is a thing of beauty and my go to Prawn Patia recipe and has 1 teaspoon sugar which is easily left out tbh. Other than that it has two medium tomatoes in it (120g) and 2 medium onions (300g) re Tony's scrutiny for total overall sugars.

I think a lot of hot-sour dishes add sugar to cater for perceived western tastes, although Chinese dishes tend to do that too. There's an idea that sweet counters hot.

Last edited by ZeroCook on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Uschi, they're posh! I hope they perform nicely for you when they arrive.

They arrived just before I posted. They are sturdy, which is nice. What I don't know yet, is whether the dough will stick to them (I know, they must be dipped in flour from time to time) or how well the pattern will come out.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:07 pm

They look great fun.

I always meant to buy one of those rolling pins with a pattern on it on Dusseldorf market...

It would be nice to back there one day.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:26 pm

jeral wrote:Uschi, thanks - and for the excellent advice to start with a bigger portion than needed and not forgetting to sample. Often, perhaps... ;)

That makes so much sense ... I love marzipan, especially the home made stuff :yum :yum :yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks for the link, Zero.
I haven't made a prawn spicy dish for ages. And am looking for some new introductions to boost my repertoire.

And Indian meals are always special dining in our house too.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:51 pm

I will toss in my thoughts for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I was home, I would consider this and start collecting the pantry stuff in sept and October.

Turkey day

Roast chicken wwith seasoned cream cheese stuffing under the skin X 2

Potatoes...Hassel back or pomme puree or some type of crispy Boulangere.,...oops can't forget good roasties

Bread sauce ( do you use just the white part of the lost or the crust too)

Veggie....glazed carrots and a second one

Desert...., eggnog pain perdu with mixed berry compote. Cheating tho and using a thick and creamy shop bought egg nog.

Maybe one or two other things

Christmas day (variation on surf and turf)

Starter/nibbles....cheesy polenta with boudin noir (Matt tebbutts recipe)

Prime rib med rare with au jus/gravy

Calamari rings battered and deep fried at the last minute

Muffin tin yorkies

Sprouts of some type, au gratin with bacon (Sophie grigsons recipe works every time)

Second veg

Desert to be determined

I doubt there would be much if any waste and I would have lots o' leftovers and the bro and his wife would prolly take some home too

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:23 pm

mark111757 wrote:I will toss in my thoughts for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I was home, I would consider this and start collecting the pantry stuff in sept and October.

Turkey day

Roast chicken wwith seasoned cream cheese stuffing under the skin X 2

Potatoes...Hassel back or pomme puree or some type of crispy Boulangere.,...oops can't forget good roasties

Bread sauce ( do you use just the white part of the lost or the crust too)

Veggie....glazed carrots and a second one

Desert...., eggnog pain perdu with mixed berry compote. Cheating tho and using a thick and creamy shop bought egg nog.

Maybe one or two other things

Christmas day (variation on surf and turf)

Starter/nibbles....cheesy polenta with boudin noir (Matt tebbutts recipe)

Prime rib med rare with au jus/gravy

Calamari rings battered and deep fried at the last minute

Muffin tin yorkies

Sprouts of some type, au gratin with bacon (Sophie grigsons recipe works every time)

Second veg

Desert to be determined

I doubt there would be much if any waste and I would have lots o' leftovers and the bro and his wife would prolly take some home too

Re Sprouts.
We are having Duck on Christmas day & I found this recipe for Sprouts it uses Duck fat but I think any fat would do

http://www.mapleleaffarms.com/duck/reci ... s-sprouts/

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:34 am

That sounds rather good - another for the list of recipes to try.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:05 am

.oops can't forget good roasties

No you cannot.
After turning 50 and I needed to lose some timber (slowly over one year) I made a turkey dinner without potatoes.
Talk about boring!

Hicky, it's good in my opinion to see a sprout recipe without bacon. I find once you've put bacon round the chipolatas, there's no need for it on anything else.

Postby smitch » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:29 am

I made sprouts with pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds and pistachios the last two Christmases. I did blanch the sprouts first as I wasn’t sure they’d cook properly. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sizzled-sprouts-pistachios-pomegranate

Postby herbidacious » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 am

I had a really nice recipe for baby sprouts stir fried in walnut oil... which I have lost. That may be all there was to it though.

Postby mistakened » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:32 pm

smitch wrote:I made sprouts with pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds and pistachio

that mixture would make anything taste good!

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm

smitch wrote:I made sprouts with pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds and pistachios

Another one for my "to do" list!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox