Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:12 pm

That does look good, Gill - speaking of enlarging the repertoire as you were doing on the other thread. Haven't made that sort of thing for ages ...

Postby Hickybank » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 pm

mistakened wrote:Does everyone one realise that brussels are not compulsory. If you do have them why disguise them so heavily?

We love Sprouts, they ae our favourite veg
They are not being disguised just prepared differently to complement the rest of the dish

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:45 pm

mark111757, sorry to hear your news although I've no doubt you'll be putting as much effort in as poss to be well again soon. Good news about the food though to keep your spirits up. Any chance of your getting a double portion of the scrummy chicken enchiladas? ;)

Gillthepainter et al, I see that Spice Tailor (Anjum's creation) spice/sauce pod packs are on special offer in Waitrose at £2.20 (vs £2.90). (Tesco's are full price so don't know if on offer elsewhere too.)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/sear ... e%20taylor
We used the tikka one recently which was very good.

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:52 pm

mistakened wrote:Does everyone one realise that brussels are not compulsory. If you do have them why disguise them so heavily?

They are definitely not part of Christmas in this part of the world. If anything red cabbage is popular.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Sprouts like any specially flavoured veg can be hit and miss on a Christmas plate, if like me you like sloshings of gravy rather than a jus just on the meat, and also veg flavourings can fight with each other if not careful, or be needless/pointless with all other trimmings going on as well.

If doing a less-is-more plate rather than everything but the kitchen sink, then flavourings do come into their own :)

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Thank you guys for all your thoughts.

Jeral...I could get a dbl portion of enchiladas very easy. I have in the past. Thing of it is it would cover the plate. And I would be so stuffed. They are very dee-lish. I put in a request for asparagus spears in cheese sauce for Turkey day.

As to why I am where I am...in Oct 2015 I was diagnosed with an incarcerated umbilical hernia. Went by ambulance to hospital. It got taken care of. I heard I s!most "bought the farm,". Was in ICU for a month on my back. I did no walking or anything like that. So the adage applies, when you dont use it you loose it. After hospital was sent to where I am now and healed from surgery. Working on walking. They have a therapy Dept here. It is when I am not in therapy that it seems like things go backwards. Seems like there are days with full aides and some days and some days with just one for 40 residents. Sad and ridiculous. My goal is to still get out of here and back in my own place/flat again.

Apologizes as I did not mean to hijack the thread

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Would love to try fresh duck or goose but all we have available is frozen. Only thing fresh are turkeys for turkey day. I have always felt if the product was available people would be interested. Back in the 80s in my first full time stint in radio I was able of get cases of grape nehi soda to give away. Which we did. I likened it to the expression, creating a demand or the stateside version of Delia effect.

**-grape nehi as in the MASH TV series. We did MASH trivia on the air.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Hey, Mark - get better soon, step by step, buddy!
As for sprouts, Mistakened: yep, you can do without them. You can have them just as they are. You can tart them up. I imagine it´s just because everyone associates Sprouts ( cooked since 15th September) with Xmas dinner is simply traditional.
I once made sweet and sour roasted beetroot for Xmas lunch. My mum would have had a fit! :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:07 pm

Mark, you did not hijack anything, I asked what was ailing you - you answered.

Get well soon!!!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Uschi

That is beautiful. Very very nice. Well done

Talking about food earlier, the facility has a 4 week menu cycle. Here is week one

The chix enchiladas, 2 of them filled half a plate. Mmmmmm....

If the A or B choices aren't to you liking there are 3 or 4 sammich options too or cold cereal and milk.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi Mark, yep as KK said, step by step :newhuggy.

I do like reading your posts about interesting programmes but am not always sure if they will be shown in my neck of the woods via anything I might be able to receive them on!

The menu doesn't look too bad, I can't imagine Brussels sprouts served with cheeseburger here but there, yes! It's ages since I had TatorTots, happy memories!

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:33 am

Over here you get a choice of white bread, brown(ish) bread or a breadroll for breakfast. No eggs or porridge. I forget if there was Muesli, but I think not. And certainly no pancakes!!!!

Lunch is traditionally the warm meal here, but "dinner" is bread again.

Does it mean you can have a hot meal at both lunch and dinnertime? If you make your choices wisely on that food plan you can double your weight within a fortnight. ;)

I do envy you the pancakes, though. :lol:

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 am

Variety...

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 am

Earthmaiden wrote:...[clip]...

The menu doesn't look too bad, I can't imagine Brussels sprouts served with cheeseburger here ...

Do you remember that old spoof sketch about English cabbages?
Said in US accent where everything is bigger and thus deemed better:
"Cabbages? This side of the Pond we call those sprouts."

mark111757, there's also an old expression here used by old lags (long term prisoners) to newbies:
"Keep yer nose clean and you could be out'er here by ...(date)."
Fingers crossed you'll be out soon. They chuck you out here soonest so you don't get used to being looked after and lose the ability to fend for yourself once back home. There's some validity to that even if they also want the beds freed up asap. Mind you, hospital food here is no incentive to stay in!

I'm determined to make some Bailey's icecream in chocolate (silicone mould) cups this year. I'll take bets on whether I will or the ingredients get consumed first :mrgreen:

Postby Amyw » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:53 am

It doesn’t seem a very nutritional menu at all for a hospital ... no soups or salads anywhere . Interesting combinations too , carrots and pizza, seafood salad on a croissant!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Looks a lot better than some of the things Jen has posted from her hospital visits in Scotland...

Uncle in law in France had wine and cognac with his three course gourmet local hospital meals :)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:39 pm

I have just done my pre-lockdown Costco shop. Although it was heaving it was very organised. I now have my Christmas stamps and gingerbread houses for the grandchildren. (Also vodka and The Thursday Murder Club).

Aero, the smoked salmon trimmings are back in stock.

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:45 pm

herbidacious wrote:........

Uncle in law in France had wine and cognac with his three course gourmet local hospital meals :)

Right, that's it. I'm emigrating.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Hey Mark, hope you can crack the walking, I knew you’d had health problems but hadn’t appreciated how severe or how persistent :hi5:

Amyw wrote:It doesn’t seem a very nutritional menu at all for a hospital ... no soups or salads

Amy there’s no significant nutrition in most soup, it’s 90% water so the 10% really needs to do some hard nutritional work

Remember this is a rehab facility, not a hospital, and the object is likely to be to tempt people with poor appetites by offering them familiar favourites. The object in rehab is usually to prevent weight loss, as when people aren’t very mobile they tend to lose muscle, which makes getting mobile even harder and is not healthy - I’ve recently read a lot of rants by an NHS consultant on this subject so sharing the key messages, as it probably would not have occurred to me previously

Going back to Christmas, I’ve had duck the last few years, was thinking I might have something else this year but can’t be bothered to plan it yet. I do have some marzipan stöllen bites

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Maybe soup is offered with the alternative sandwich offering mentioned. Salads aren't particularly easy to eat (think teeth) unless blathered in creamy sauce (so becoming counter-healthy fatwise), nor is too much fibre easy to digest/expel if relatively immobile. Or maybe it's just that a lot gets left so is a waste. A big plus is that no-one's likely to go hungry when dependent on what's given.

I mentioned atrophy due to restrictions on activities a month or two back. Another total lockdown is not good as wastage can creep up unnoticed. mark111757 is very unlucky, to have got a massive dose of it all at once, but it's sure as hell better than the alternative was. Tenacity and fortitude needed, so sending both "on the airwaves".

Actually, for Christmas, thanks mark111757 for giving me an idea. I could have a surf and surf dinner for a change. Battered calamari starter and prawn/coconut main. And yes, sprouts and coconut are a great combo with ginger etc. I'll get them on to boil soonest.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox