Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm

I'll just be honest and say I don't want to! Don't know what I'm doing yet anyway. These are the people that, many years ago, after agreeing to no longer give presents, husband turned up on the doorstep in the middle of our Christmas lunch (kids, mother etc all here) WITH presents. I explained we were having our Christmas lunch (we were just clearing the main course plates) and asked if he'd like to come in - anyone else would have taken the hint but to my horror, he came in, sat down at the table, wouldn't accept a drink or food, explained that his wife was just cooking their family lunch and we all sat there making inane conversation as I didn't want to serve pudding until he had gone.

That is why I don't want them turning up with 'a plate'. :lol: .

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 am

Well the good news is that my wife and son will be coming back home on 6th November on a so-called humanitarian flight. Haven´t seen them since January 15th.
Christmas, however, is a sort of sweet and sour experience, and to be honest, celebrating in a country where nothing is available except at absurdly jerked-up prices - doesn´t rock my boat. And since we can´t celebrate as a "family" - because the family is spread across the world,well, the whole thing is a ridiculously commercial anti-climax to me.

Postby mistakened » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 am

Glad that your wife and son will be able to to get back home next month , Clive

A number of people, mostly couples have decided to stay on the island for Christmas/ New Year instead of returning to the UK. I got involved in a discussion about turkey crowns, M&S are universally condemned for their price, a local chain of butchers Kolios is favourite at present.

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 am

Great news KK!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 am

6th November isn't long, KKA.

Christmas for us is important. It was the only day in a troubled upbringing for my OH that was peace and enjoyment.
And we continue to preserve that. He adores Christmas. Anything that is a burden is not part of the day. Although admittedly, if we are under an obligation, it is deflected onto New Year EVE celebrations.

EM - tell them you'll see them NYE. It works a treat. :lol:

At the moment, beef rib and frites is on the menu for us. Although he keeps suggesting (for a couple of years now) mackerel.
What's that about? Like kippers, you taste mackerel for hours. Fresh m. is great with spices or curries, but I doubt he means that - although he doesn't specifically know what he wants with the m.

I might make a spicy dish on XMAS Eve with it, for a change. Who knows.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:18 am

Everything crossed :crossed for November 6th .karadekoolaid, I’m sure you (and the dog) will be delighted to see them

How’s the clean up going ;)

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm

hahahaha - that was going to be my comment - better start the clean up now!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:07 pm

How’s the clean up going ;)

I´ve cancelled all appointments from 1st November onwards and have divided the house into sections.
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm

:lol: Best of luck Clive ... no matter what there is to eat, I bet this will be the Bestest Christmas Ever :woohoo:
Very pleased for you all :crossed

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Fantastic news :gonzo :gonzo :limbobanana :limbobanana

Postby Busybee » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Fabulous news KK, what you do or don’t have to eat is a minor consideration, having them home will be the real highlight.

BB

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Wic wrote:
We have had the same Christmas pudding for years and years. We always take it with us, just in case, but as yet have never had the room for it after the main course.

I have a Christmas pudding that I bought in 2012 - it gets taken out of the cupboard every year - and then gets put back again!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm

might make a spicy dish on XMAS Eve with it, for a change. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure Madhur has a recipe for spicy mackerel.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Can't find one online, WWordsworth. And I've passed on my cookbook to the charity shop.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Haaa!

I looked in Madhur's classic book, and the mackerel dish in it is so simple that virtually all the ingredients are in its name!
"Grilled Mackerel with Lemon and Fresh Coriander".

The only significant thing missing from that (apart from lots of butter) is the thing which makes it "Indian", the chilli. Except it could really be from anywhere in the world. Not much point in posting the rest of the recipe, it's pretty much self explanatory.

Null points. I've tried quite a few from her book, it is always a bit hit and miss.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Gill - I can offer you a Goan Fish Curry or a Fish curry from Tamil Nadu - From Camellia Panjabi´s book. She´s always reliable for me.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for looking, Sakkers.

Clive, I'd love the recipes, yes please. We have terrific wet fish shop 3 miles away - something Cheltenham never had.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 am

Manta's website has Fish curries on it
Never had a Curry from there we did not like, well worth a look

www.mamtaskitchen.com

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 pm

I happened upon a current Jus-Rol recipe on their site which uses cooked turkey, ham and sausages with pastry and not much else. However, I like the idea of the pithivier-style as a change from "pie". (They have a proper chicken pithivier on the site; this is a petal-cut version.) I love the visual delight of cutting down through, as opposed to cutting/dishing up, to reveal the scrumptious content.

Maybe an idea if swooping the shelves post-Christmas for reduced turkey, ham and sausages if Christmas is cancelled? Or if having bought them hoping it wouldn't be cancelled...
https://www.jusrol.co.uk/pastry-recipes ... ld-cutting

Edit PS: I didn't know Jus-Rol did ready rolled round pastry sheets, but can't say I ever looked.

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:14 am

Now that we have a "lockdown light" and no restaurants open all November the venerable tradition of eating "St Martin's goose" usually with dumplings and either red cabbage or sometimes kale, but always with lashings of gravy is going down the drain this year. I do wonder what will happen to the thousands of geese that will not be needed now. Most people will not bother with a whole goose at home ...

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox