Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:11 pm

i'm not sure the mouse needs it!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:20 pm

:D
scullion wrote:i'm not sure the mouse needs it!

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Hickybank wrote:WD40 works on most things, it shifts superglue, so well worth a try.

Does it really. I bought some superglue and haven't dared use it till I learned what would clean it off if I applied it wrongly. Thanks for that :) Surprising what one learns on here.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm

We had the dreaded Christmas conversation yesterday. It is very depressing. We are really going to have to “up” our technology to get much out of it. I am inherently religious too and can’t see much in the way of salvation there. My poor mum missed last year because she was ill (90% sure is was Covid). Looks like she will have to be on her own again as both my sister (3 kids plus partner) and I are now Tier 2.

Us? 4 kids, 4 partners, 5 grandkids . . . OH has a terrible appetite now.

Would be nice if Covid decided to have a Christmas armistice.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:58 pm

I don't think it will be so obliging PP! :(

I signed up to watch online carols being put on at St Martin in the Fields today (free but they hope you'll donate to Shelter). It's the first thing I've done that's remotely Christmas related so far and I'm really looking forward to it. I think it's little things like that which will mean a lot this year along with trying hard to being thankful for what one and loved ones have rather than haven't got. Technology will be wonderful for bringing people together :newhuggy.

Postby Hickybank » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:20 pm

I think it will take an extra effort this year as most of us I think will not be sharing Christmas with family.
I have been thinking Christmas day dinner, just the two of us.
Even 1/2 a Turkey crown is to big & I ind it a little bland, rather have leg meat.
Looked at Goose but would need a mortgage for it, soo thinking about Duck, they look around the £20 mark.
Anyone had Duck rather than Turkey out of interest.?
I sampled The Bullace & Blackberry gin this week as it was time for a shake, very pleasing.
I think we will all be putting on more Lbs that usual this year so diet January here we come :o

Postby Busybee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:36 pm

As most Yorkshire folk will say.......there should only be two for duck.........you and the duck! :lol:

Sorry, I’ll get my coat.

BB

Postby Uschi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:37 pm

Hicky, you could always go for game, that is very Christmassy, too, or for some really good beef or pork with a festive sauce (brandy or Cognac lift gravies enormously)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:40 pm

Busybee wrote:As most Yorkshire folk will say.......there should only be two for duck.........you and the duck! :lol:

Sorry, I’ll get my coat.

BB

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hicky, if you fancy goose have a look in the Lidl or Aldi freezer cabinets. They do competitively priced fairly small but decent tasting birds. Is one of the options I’m considering.

Geese cannot, apparently, be anything other than free range.

Postby aero280 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 pm

If anyone is in need of some spiritual support, our local church has regular streamed services. OH led the one this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/busheyparishlive/live

Postby Suelle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Hickybank wrote:I think it will take an extra effort this year as most of us I think will not be sharing Christmas with family.
I have been thinking Christmas day dinner, just the two of us.
Even 1/2 a Turkey crown is to big & I ind it a little bland, rather have leg meat.
Looked at Goose but would need a mortgage for it, soo thinking about Duck, they look around the £20 mark.
Anyone had Duck rather than Turkey out of interest.?
I sampled The Bullace & Blackberry gin this week as it was time for a shake, very pleasing.
I think we will all be putting on more Lbs that usual this year so diet January here we come :o

Despite not wanting turkey, we (myself and 2 adult children) really like all the trimmings that go so well with turkey - stuffing, cocktail sausages, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce etc. They don't go so well with things like duck, beef and lamb, IMO, so I think I'm going to buy a guinea fowl again this year - we really enjoyed it last year.

With just two of you, there'd be some leftovers, but not an unmanageable amount.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:if you fancy goose have a look in the Lidl or Aldi freezer cabinets.

Avoid.....!
One year I did go for the Lidl Goose - :cry: - to supplement the other offerings - never again - a bit like their lobster - almost non-existent....& vile !

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Oh gosh Sue. We had a Lidl one about three years ago for a meal with a couple of friends and it was lovely! :? :?

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:33 pm

I wonder if Ocado are doing the capon this year. That might do.

Postby Wic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Evening, all. I’ve been absent for ages, but have been reading back.

We are usually just the two of us these days, no longer having any close family around, but we enjoy it. In fact, to ward off being invited to other people we often book to go away for Christmas week. It sounds like Ba Humbug Central, I know, but we like it!

If we are at home we have a barbecued turkey crown. Himself is an ace barbecuer, it is always spectacularly good, but otherwise we have a ham which I cook and actually, I think I prefer that. You can have all the trimmings with both. Perfect.

We have had the same Christmas pudding for years and years. We always take it with us, just in case, but as yet have never had the room for it after the main course.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm quite short on relatives and those closest to me have my blessing to do as they please at Christmas as I am lucky to have them round me all year. A pyjama day suits me fine if that's how it turns out.

Imagine my horror tonight when an overbearing older couple of my acquaintance phoned to invite me round on Christmas Day! I was careful not to look as though I was even contemplating accepting but they said if I didn't go they'd come round with a plated lunch instead. Going by previous experience they would too :evil: . You may think I sound unkind but they would do it for their benefit, not mine. I have no intention of going even if I am on my own but why are people so darned awkward?

On the bird front, if you do prefer turkey I find that a small crown gives plenty for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and sandwiches or soup and the remaining meat can be sliced, frozen and enjoyed a month or two later.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 pm

I feel your pain EM! My worst nightmare.

Postby Wic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Oh, Earthmaiden, what a pain. Can you say you’ll be away, or will they know you aren’t? It’s really hard to refuse a Christmas Day invitation, it always feels so churlish. I hope it works out.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 pm

You could tell them that you have a really nasty cough and have lost your sense of taste, a few days before... :twisted:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox