Register

talking Curry's

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

talking Curry's

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

We love a nice Curry nothing too hot but lots of flavour.
I always use Mamta's kitchen I don't think there is a better place for good honest recipes
I have just made Bombay Chicken from her site. I have to say it is one of the nicest Curries we have tried, will definately be making again.
After we had finished, Ann said ""If I had been served that in a restaurant I would have been impressed"
Praise indeed "Thanks Mamta"

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=12835

Re: talking Curry's

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:09 pm

When I´m making curries, I tend to go with what I´ve got, but then I´ve been cooking Indian food for the public since 2010. Mamta´s site is brilliant, there´s no doubt. One year I had a huge surplus of mangoes and Mamta sent me 4 recipes from her site, all of which I still use.
I´ve got over 20 recipe books for curries, so I tend to look at what I´ve got available and then work it out from there.
My current favourite is one from Camellia Panjabi´s book " 50 great curries.." and it´s called Chicken Rizzala - chicken smothered in a rich, creamy, mint & coriander sauce. Otherwise I just google the ingredients to see what turns up.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 pm

I love her prawn patia recipe, but I use salmon.
What I generally do is make the sauce in advance, I like it with an added teaspoon of amchoor, then I go to the pub.

When we are ready to eat I put cubes of salmon into the sauce while it's warming up. By the time the rice is cookedt, the fish is perfect.

It has become the tradition that we lead a walk on New Year's Day and provide lunch afterwards.
There is always a chilli and I do something different each year as an option.
The salmon patia disappeared without trace.

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 pm

]I made Nutty Chicken Curry today using the wonderful Mak Tok Malaysian curry paste. Quick and easy!

P1020018.JPG
P1020018.JPG (169.96 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:52 am

Looks good, Renée!

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 am

I made a beef rendang from Tommi Miers last night , which I was pleased. I don’t know how strictly authentic it was , but smells and tastes good

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:06 am

Not exactly a curry, but I use Thai curry paste when I want an "Asian-style" pumpkin soup, along with coconut cream.

When I am making real curries, Mamta's is one place to go. There is also a German couple who have some lovely recipes. I have been following them since the late '80s when they had a column in a German magazine.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:12 am

As I get older, I find that I am taking more short cuts. At one time I used to roast and grind spices, but don't do that now. However, with Thai food, I do sometimes buy the ingredients, lemongrass, chillies etc. and blitz them, but it's nice to use a good chilli paste occasionally and then add some freshly squeezed lime juice.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:17 am

Because the OP has typed the title as ' talking Curry's' (should it be 'Talking curries' ?) I keep thinking they mean Curry's the electrical retailer :roll: They do sell ovens and other cooking/baking electricals ;) I need to get out more :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 am

I bought a lovely piece of haddock rtc because I thought I never make fish curries though I do make prawn curry, that was last week and it’s in the freezer as I ended up not cooking when I had planned to
Anyway I’ve been digging through my books and it will be Diana Henry’s Goan Fish Curry from Simply
Will report back when made, which now depends on my teeth

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:50 am

Curry here tonight - Lamb Saag Aloo. I often use bought curry powder or pastes these days unless I'm following a specific recipe. Tonight's recipe is very loosely based on a Madhur Jaffrey recipe I saw on TV years ago tweaked over time. Mamta's spiced onions will be made to go with it.
One of my curry go tos if I'm feeding a few is H F-Ws Baked Chicken curry https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/ba ... d%20colour.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:43 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Because the OP has typed the title as ' talking Curry's' (should it be 'Talking curries' ?) I keep thinking they mean Curry's the electrical retailer :roll: They do sell ovens and other cooking/baking electricals ;) I need to get out more :lol:

I thought the same thing Pat!!! It's my "go to" place for electrical goods!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Renee wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:Because the OP has typed the title as ' talking Curry's' (should it be 'Talking curries' ?) I keep thinking they mean Curry's the electrical retailer :roll: They do sell ovens and other cooking/baking electricals ;) I need to get out more :lol:

I thought the same thing Pat!!! It's my "go to" place for electrical goods!

Ha, me too :lol:

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 pm

:lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Just heard Cyrus Todiwala on the radio, having a tough time of it in the restaurant.

He was adamant that rice was best cooked in the oven.
Interesting - I don't think he meant the microwave oven like what I do ;)

I make a vindaloo paste that tastes great and lasts for yonks in the fridge. But also use Indian market bought powder for a change of flavour.
Or just use the requested spices in a recipe when called for.

Renee, that looks lovely.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I use Mamta's site such a lot. Never tried a recipe yet that hasn't been super tasty. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Uschi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Not exactly a curry, but I use Thai curry paste when I want an "Asian-style" pumpkin soup, along with coconut cream.

When I am making real curries, Mamta's is one place to go. There is also a German couple who have some lovely recipes. I have been following them since the late '80s when they had a column in a German magazine.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:58 am

I thought of Curry's, the retailer, too! But they are firmly in my bad books at the moment. My 20 year old fridge freezer started to make some alarming noises so I decided that I'd better replace it before it gave up the ghost. First problem was that a lot of models are out of stock in a lot of places because of panic buying at the start of lockdown and reduced manufacturing output since. I finally decided on one but had to order it online. Very long story short, it took 2 days to actually get the order done and include everything that I wanted, particularly door reversal. Delivery, installation and customisation was scheduled for last Thursday. It was delivered to schedule but the people who brought it said they wouldn't be doing the necessary work as they didn't work for Curry's and didn't know how to do it! Cue elevated blood pressure and steam coming out of my ears. Took a couple of hours to get in touch with a human to sort things out. I was most furious because they hadn't had the courtesy to let me know that the work wouldn't be done to schedule. And I'm sure no-one would have got in touch to arrange for the outstanding work to be done. Anyways, it was finally commissioned this morning. I've left it to settle and will turn it on tomorrow morning.

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am

What a lot of stress for you Pampy. :( Yes, it can be so difficult to get to speak to a human these days.

I do hope that you are happy with your new fridge freezer.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks Renee. If it does what it claims to, I'll be happy, although I'm not sure that it being wi-fi connected will add much value! I am a bit perturbed about the claimed nett storage volume of the freezer. My old freezer is 98 litres and the new one claims to be 107 - but it looks quite a bit smaller than the old one. I haven't started to transfer things yet, so time will tell.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox