Register

Which branded food . . .

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Which branded food . . .

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 am

I’ve just remembered Ambrosia tinned rice. I think it’s still around.

The retro sweets that I used to buy in quantity, until I saw the light and lost weight, were winegums, American hard gums, Rowntree’s fruit pastilles, pear drops, along with the occasional sherbet lemon.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:52 am

Findus crispy pancakes were a real treat when I was growing up as was the tinned chicken in white sauce from M&S. You knew it was a special occasion if either of those appeared and it wasn't a birthday tea unless there was a packet of Fox's party rings or Jacobs jam mallow biscuits.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:58 am

Ambrosia tinned rice still very much around (and a good thing to put in the food bank as most people like it and it can be eaten hot or cold) but not a posh or special brand then or now I don’t think?

Rose’s lime marmalade was supposed to be treat compared to our ordinary golliwog branded Golden Shred (orange) or Silver Shred (lemon), it was expensive but tasted of disinfectant. We finally graduated to Frank Cooper’s Oxford Marmalade, which I still like. We also had Cooper’s horseradish sauce and Cooper’s “Mary Had” brand :roll: mint sauce in a jar

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Ambrosia, yes that was extremely posh to us!

That reminded me of a family meal where after we'd had the main course, my mum went to get the rice pud out of the oven for afters...

She'd forgotten to put any rice in, it was hot sugary milk.

Back to the original post on Callard & Bowser Nougat - always pronounced "nugget" of course.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Back to the original post on Callard & Bowser Nougat - always pronounced "nugget" of course.

Absolutely! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:39 pm

None of us really liked nugget but Callard & Bowser’s butterscotch or treacle toffee in little paper packets were the treat to take on long car journeys

C&B also made Cream Line toffees, quite soft and individually wrapped in white, and Plain Jane our special treat which were the same with some chopped almonds inside a pink wrapper; there were blue and yellow versions too and green which I think were Brazil nut

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:25 pm

I just about remember the treacle toffee but not the others. We bought our C&B stuff in the tobacconists in Uxbridge station - coincidentally opposite the Fuller's Cake Shop. Can you imagine explaining to the yoof of today what those tobacconist shops were like? :shock:

Postby Seatallan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Nugget turned into 'Nuugah' around the same time Marathon bars became Snickers if I recall correctly.

I know I've said it many times previously, but oh, how I loved chocolate Angel Delight over tinned pears..... :yum :yum

As for savory branded food, there was a minced beef pie with a flaky topping that we had for tea sometimes and it was wonderful! I was around 7 (I can always remember eating it once whilst watching 'Double Deckers' if anyone remembers that, so it must have been very early in the 70s) but I can't remember what brand the pie was. Wish I could try it again to see if it was as good as I remember.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:11 pm

Wasn't it Fray Bentos tinned meat pie ?

Postby Suelle » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:18 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Wasn't it Fray Bentos tinned meat pie ?

A brand still going strong, with added varieties these days - cheese and onion, a vegetable balti, plus a vegan 'steak' and onion:
https://www.baxters.com/products/other- ... ray-bentos.

We get a lot of these donated to the Food Bank, but they are not popular because of the need to use a very hot oven for a relatively long time. Much more expensive than bunging the contents of a tin of mince and onions in the microwave for 5 minutes.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Mapletons Fru Grains.

i so miss those - i've even considered trying to recreate them - i'm sure i'll have a go sometime soon!
they disappeared less than a decade ago (i think) but it seems far longer - we used to eat the chunks like sweets.
i miss 'five grain burger mix' a dry packet mix possibly sold by granose or the like, one of the brands of dandelion coffee (i think the other brand is still available but the good one - probably also a mapletons product is long gone).

there are very few foods i miss from my childhood. i probably wouldn't have known the brands anyway, by the time my mother had had her hands on them they probably wouldn't have been recognisable!
i suppose i miss the penny bars of chocolate (not much for a penny nowadays) and the loose broken biscuit 'bins' in woolworths
can you still get the tins of heinz mixed veg salad - that looked like sick?

non food things i remember being in the cupboard were - a tin of 'jelonet' dressings (yeuk) and dr collis-browne's - before they took out the potent stuff.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Wasn't it Fray Bentos tinned meat pie ?

Patsy, good try but not a Fray Bentos. I remember said pie had plastic packaging. I think mum probably bought them from local village store but they would have been branded. Probably one of those brands long since defunct.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Callard and Bowser butterscotch was one of my favourites.
There was also a bar of chocolate with boy’s faces on the squares. Was it called Five Boys?
I also loved Caramac when it first came out. The thought of it now makes me feel sick!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm

Desperation
Pacification
Expectation
Acclamation
Realization

I always associate it with slot machines on railway stations, I think there may have been one at Portsmouth & Southsea

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:19 pm

The Plumrose tinned cream was in the same league as Primula cheese when it came in silver-wrapped semi-circles. Loved them both.

We had another aunt who always used to give me a box of Newberry Fruits which I detested, and my parents a bottle of Benedictine which they hated just as much. She lived on a caravan site and would invite the family over for tea whenever the Elsan needed emptying!! :lol: :lol: :lol: My dad and grandad would oblige and we would then all sit down to tea. She was a French teacher at a local school (The Greenway Pat if you’re reading this) and had no illusions about her cooking or lack of. It was always ham salad with flavoured cheese triangles - not Kraft Dairylea - and for afters a bag of Iced Gems. :lol: We used to go home after and have a proper tea!

Even then I hated Iced Gems. Real tooth breakers.

Postby Kacey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Mint Cracknell, Old English Spangles and those Milk Tray bars that always had the lime barrel in the middle, coconut tobacco, yellow kayli so tart it made you face scrunch up - if you were lucky you'd have one of those hard black liquorice sticks to dip with rather than a finger.

Another treat was a Ski yogurt, back in the day they came in churn shaped cartons, tasted of real fruit and weren't in the slightest bit sweet.

Ours was another household where Findus Crispy pancakes and a Vesta Chow Mein was the height of sophistication! Tins of Ye Olde Oak Ham at Christmas, tinned salmon mashed up with pepper and vinegar (yuk) for Sunday tea sandwiches

Crisps that came with their own little blue packets of salt.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Kacey wrote:Crisps that came with their own little blue packets of salt.

Smiths crisps, I think?

Postby cherrytree » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Birds custard.My mother always made egg custard(not very well and nothing like creme anglaise) and despised Birds. I’m 73 now and still have a twinge of guilt and daringwhen reach for the Birds. No other brand- it has to be Birds.
My grandchildren far prefer ‘Granny’s custard’ and we have both in equal frequency.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Crisps now have little blue sealed packs of salt.
I can't remember my Mum using any branded products - everything was done from scratch.

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:29 pm

Well remembered with the 5 Boys Sue.
Every Christmas we always had a big tin of Bluebird milk chocolate toffees.
It’s a wonder I have any teeth left.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox