Register

Which branded food . . .

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Which branded food . . .

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 pm

. . . was a treat when you were growing up?

Callard & Bowser nougat (on the very exotic edible rice paper) or butterscotch were mine.

And a Fuller’s Russian cake from their shop at Uxbridge station when my aunt came to visit.

Strangely I can’t remember anything savoury.

Site Admin

Re: Which branded food . . .

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 pm

Matchmakers seemed very posh to me back in the 70s. I bought some recently to retread old ground and they were absolutely disgusting.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Bradley's ice cream.
Club biscuits (as opposed to Penguin.)
Thornton's (I am pretty sure they were much, much better back in the day. Made locally...)

Not a brand, really, but a glass of jersey milk at the Chatsworth farm shop. I know this is a vomit-inducer for some.

Generally it was more types of things, such as cream, or real butter, or prawns (albeit frozen) or chocolates. Eating out :shock:

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:17 pm

An aunt in Sheffield used to send us a box of Thornton’s Rum Truffles for Christmas Herbi. I am quite certain they were much better quality then,

* laughing as the auto changed Herbi to Gerbil* :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:29 pm

:lol:

Thorton's Continentals were my favourites. My mother liked the treacle toffee. when bought, it would be by the quarter in a bag.

They are pants these days. Owned by Ferrero.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm

I’ve mentioned this before - but Politi’s crème de menthe and Turkish delight sweets in smart enamelled tins at Christmas (made about 500 m from where I’m sitting)

Terry’s All Gold chocs

Anything packaged by Noël’s - Hungarian paprika, gherkins, silver skin onions. Anything by Sharwood’s - I tried their mango chutney again recently, 90% of it went in the bin, just overly sweet and syrupy sticky fruit spiked with spirit vinegar, disgusting

Postby Busybee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Club biscuits were a real treat.

Conversely, anything made by Rowntree Macintosh, no matter what, was very run of the mill, basically because they employed half of York so we all had access to someone who could get ‘waste’ products for pennies. After Eights, Dairy Box and Black Magic were everyday sweets.

A Birds Eye beef burger was the height of sophistication, basically because we didn’t have food like that, it was a real occasion. How times change.

BB

Postby aero280 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Shippam's Fish Paste was considered a treat back in the day.

I used to love the Cadbury's Bournville chocolate bars with roasted almonds. I haven't seen the red packet on the shelves in years.

Postby Suelle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Bird's Lemon Meringue Pie kit.

Fry's Chocolate Cream bars.

Any bought cake was a treat - I remember Battenberg and Swiss Rolls in particular - probably Lyons.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 pm

Anyone remember Flat Twenties?

Is always very interesting on the antique/hereditary programmes about the Quaker families who founded such large industries.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Gosh, everything mentioned already was a treat and more besides!

A summer treat was Cremola Foam!
M&S cheese sandwich biscuits.
Mapletons Fru Grains.
Corona - any flavour, especially the red one.
Smarties in a box (which for some reason tasted more exotic than those from a tube).

Fullers cakes! When we lived in Epsom and my grandfather and his wife came to visit, they'd always bring one. It was always one with pink icing and the most delicious raspberry flavoured decorations on top, all presented nicely in a tied cake box. Pretty and delicious, that WAS a treat!

Terrys of York reminds me of an old schoolfriend of my father's who used to come and stay sometimes. He was quite high up in the railways in York, had a large, expensive car and was quite well off. He always brought me a box of Terrys fruit pastilles which I thought was great. I learned later that my mother resented those pastilles as it was the only thing he ever brought as a gift for his whole stay.

Postby smitch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Busybee wrote:
Conversely, anything made by Rowntree Macintosh, no matter what, was very run of the mill, basically because they employed half of York so we all had access to someone who could get ‘waste’ products for pennies. After Eights, Dairy Box and Black Magic were everyday sweets.

BB

Same. I’ve never liked their chocolate much but we had boxes of the stuff as a kid. We had relatives and family friends who worked there. I vaguely remember going to the factory shop before they changed to Nestles. We always had tins of their cream in the cupboard along with tip top.

We had a fair bit of Terrys stuff too.

I preferred Bournville as a child but I find it quite sickly now. I loved dark Bounty but they were difficult to find.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:45 pm

Ah yes, fizzy drinks

I think most were quite local though obviously there were some national ones such as Tizer & Jusoda, which I preffered

Our local brands were C&C (Cantrell & Cochrane), I liked the raspberry version., and Hartridge’s who did classics such as dandelion and burdock

But my favourite was Zing! It came in several colours, all pretty much day-glo, I preferred the green, which might have been lime, or quite possibly Martian blood. Didn’t last long

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:11 am

Are Black Jacks still available? We used to live on them.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:39 am

And fruit salads!
Vesta curries - very exotic!

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:57 am

Greens cake mixes. The father of good friend of mine was the SouthWest area manager for that company.

There was Wall’s Polo ice creams. Little round cylinders in a cornet.

Postby mistakened » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:26 am

Any bought cake, especially Fullers.
Thorntons chocolate
Findus Savoury Pancakes
Planters Peanuts (very sophisticated)
Danish Blue Cheese.

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am

Cough candy was an occasional treat! Penny Oxos on my way to school, Horlicks tablets.

Oh yes, Vesta Chow Mein was my first introduction to foreign foods!

Postby Placitasgirl1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:52 am

Oh yes, Blackjacks and Fruit Salads are still pretty easily available in shops here (Morrisons, Asda)

A friend and I were recently discussing "retro" sweets and those which we loved as kids. That conversation led me to send him a kilo box of Blackjacks from Amazon.

His children and everyone in his office hate anything with an aniseed flavour, so they should last him a while :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 am

smitch wrote:We always had tins of their cream in the cupboard along with tip top.

A huge treat in our household was Plumrose tinned cream, whipped. Very occasionally we would have it with bread and strawberry jam for tea and at some point over the Christmas period with the biggest treat - tinned strawberries (one of my mother's favourite things).

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox