Register

Which branded food . . .

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Which branded food . . .

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

We used to have the plastic lemons on Shrove Tuesday. 8-)

Postby smitch » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:09 pm

I really wanted the plastic Jif lemons when I was a kid but my mum wouldn’t buy them. We always had the bottled stuff instead.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We used to have the plastic lemons on Shrove Tuesday. 8-)

Lucky you! We had citric acid and sugar with water made into a sort of h-m lemon juice!

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 pm

Oh no! :shock:

When I stayed with my man friend, he said that he had a Jiffy lemon, so I didn't need to buy a fresh one. It would have been many years old! :roll: I declined ...

Postby aero280 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:43 pm

I bought a bottle of lemon juice. It had a disappointingly short "Best Before" date. ANd then it said something like use within seven days of opening. A fresh lemon lasts longer!

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Of course it does and the bottled lemon juice might have had some preservative added to it.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:10 am

Renee wrote:the bottled lemon juice might have had some preservative added to it

vitamin c......?

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:18 am

Bottled lemon juice seems to keep in the fridge for ages, still tasting of lemons and not going mouldy. To my shame, I've thrown away many a mouldy lemon. I ought to freeze them I suppose, but don't always think of that in time. The bottled stuff might contain sulphites, but so might wine, and that's never stopped me... :wino

Postby Seatallan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We used to have the plastic lemons on Shrove Tuesday. 8-)

Us too!! :lol:

Blimey- Vienetta. That takes me back. I remember when I was a student we cooked a 'posh' meal just before we seperated for Christmas one year. The mains was a Bernard Matthews turkey roll and we had a Vienetta for pudding. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:33 pm

Morrison’s Lemon juice in a bottle, 60p for 250 ml so much cheaper than fresh at any time of year

Ingredients
Lemon Juice from Concentrate, Lemon Oil, Preservative (Potassium Metabisulphite)
Dietary Information
Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites

So, yes it does contain a chemical preservative but not one I’d worry about unless one of those fairly rare people who react badly to sulphites. I’d much sooner have sulphite than bacteria and moulds, and I’ve not found it goes off.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:50 pm

I always have supermarket lemon juice in stock, it keeps for ages. I think that some taste better than others so it's as well to get to know them. The small Sainsburys plastic squeezy bottle seems nicer than the larger glass one (obviously talking of juice and not environmental issues here!). I do use real lemons for special recipes, usually because I want the zest as well but It seems fine for most things.

I do wonder how they manage to keep marketing PLJ. I always imagined it was good quality juice for drinks but with so many alternatives it seems a bit dated and expensive.

I too used to love playing with used plastic jiffy lemons in the bath!

We still like Vienetta :yum

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Does anyone else remember those triangular biscuit-type things that were meal replacements to aid weight loss? Late sixties I think but I can’t remember the name.

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:11 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Does anyone else remember those triangular biscuit-type things that were meal replacements to aid weight loss? Late sixties I think but I can’t remember the name.

Limmits?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:14 am

I remember Limmits! I went through a phase of having them for lunch in the days when I could easily stick to a reduced calorie diet. Then I realised that the number of calories in them wasn't very different to the same number of cheaper crackers so changed to them instead.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:50 am

When I started work after leaving school quite a few of the girls in the office had them for lunch.
Me? I could eat chips every day without putting on a pound. I weighed around 7 stone! Teenagers, eh?

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:34 am

I used to like the savoury Limmits and used them for a while. I seem to remember that they did contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:21 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I always have supermarket lemon juice in stock, it keeps for ages.

I wish there was some way of knowing when it was off! It always LOOKS fine to me, but I throw it away when I get to the stage where I'm thinking "it surely must be off by now".

P.S. Always check the label, some have citric acid added, which might make it taste more tart so seem "better", but it's not really lemon/lime juice.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:07 pm

I think they only add enough citric/ascorbic acid to make sure it is the right acidity to keep well, though I noticed that the Morrison's juice I have has neither added

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox