Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:58 pm

You can't really *make* cats do anything, and they don't do what they do out of mischief or malice. It's not that they have been 'badly brought up'. They are just doing what comes instincitively. Years ago I bought mushroom kit and put it upstairs. Our cat at that point had never had a litter box (with us), but you can guess what happened.

In what way would you make cat owners take responsiblity? We have a terrible problem with dog owners leaving bags of poo all over the place, here. Someone one picked up all the ones in the vicinity of the church (about 100 bags) and lined them up on the wall, to make a very good point. It seems that dog fouling laws are not enforeceable/enforced, so no hope regarding cats?

There are always a few feral cats knocking around too, with no owners to take responsibility. (I am grateful our local bruiser has stopped coming in the house and spraying all over it, although it probably means he's died...)

Of concern to both cat and dog lovers, firework season is now open round here, it would seem :evil: Wish they would ban them. I am guessing private useage will go up this year, as also guessing public displays will (should, surely) be cancelled.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Sorry but am I missing something? What is wrong with a bit of animal poo as long as small children aren’t walking through it?

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Last week J prepared a patch of garden and planted onion sets.
2 days later the plants were uprooted and guess what he found just below the surface.

That's what is wrong with a "bit of poo"
When someone else has to remove it from their property.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 pm

You'd be hard pressed to identify the culprit definitively...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Yes indeedy.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I agree

That's why I am so fed up of it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:03 pm

It used to be my 4 cats who were responsible for using neighbours' gardens. The people next door filled their flowerbeds with pointed sticks which the small child next door innocently told me were to 'keep your bloody cats off' when her father had popped indoors :lol:.

Now I'm on the receiving end I hate it. As soon as I start weeding I can guarantee my hands will come into contact with mess. At least every cat I've owned dug a proper hole and covered it afterwards. I have a flat roof on the kitchen with gravelly stuff on top and one neighbourhood cat digs it and leaves his gift. The whole roof is full of piles of gravel and cat mess (and weeds have started growing well on it with all the nourishment :evil:). Now there's the added joy of the dog 2 doors away being allowed to use the communal back path without it being cleared up :evil:.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 pm

I am sure it's no comfort, but I have problems with my own cats, or cat. There has been a lot of sloppy stuff from Lily. She uses our garden as well as the litter box.

Postby icelesley » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 am

Good Morning campers. Am I first to get up :shock: Thanks for the comments on the smart meter, we already have the electric one, I don't have he remotely display plugged in, it's in the draw :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 am

Morning all! :wave. A fine morning here.

Nothing exciting planned today. I might venture into the garden and start filling my wheelie bin.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 am

I think wheelie bins may have a starring role when we look back on 2020!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:23 am

Lovely here right now. Sunshine streaming through the French windows. Very mild too - I nipped out briefly to chase a squirrel off my pots.

Will try to get out later for a bit - finish my planting etc and/or returning clothing that's too small :o

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:00 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Washing is on, bathroom’s been wiped down (except the floor ... will do that later). Now to dust & polish downstairs and give the bedroom a bit of a spruce up ...

Enjoy the sunshine Herbi ... grey and miserable here :(

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:05 am

Morning all!

Very grey here too but not particularly cold.

I have a study day today, glad I'm not working. Only two weeks left at work, although I'm looking forward to leaving, I do feel a bit sad as I've been there so long.

Still on Tier 2 here, will see what today brings :roll:

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:21 am

Sun has gone in. Was nice while it lasted. Bit of a breeze now too.

Postby mistakened » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am

Good Morning Campers, I did pop in a couple of hours ago but had nothing sensible to report. However, I have just watched last nights edition of Top Gear because they were in Cyprus. I have not seen such a load of self indulgent twaddle for a long time. It does explain the strange damage to the ski slope, I have their web cam on favourites, I could see odd changes in the snow.

Moira

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 am

Good morning everyone,
Wild and wet here today, thankfully I've no need to venture out. Yesterday I had two sets of visitors, it was dry but cold sitting out, I really must look out my thermals if the restrictions are to continue.
We have a new family member, my sister has adopted a street dog. He arrived yesterday and is very sweet. :D He's had a very long journey from Athens and will need lots of training and tlc but I'm sure he'll soon settle. He likes cats though I'm not so sure her cat feels the same!! He's had his first walk and was less than impressed by the Scottish weather. I'm sure my Greek DIL-to-be can empathise with that. ;)
We're trying the JO cauliflower risotto for dinner tonight assuming I can actually find the rice which I'm pretty sure I have but is hiding. :lol:

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am

Guten Morgen!
Grey here and Wuppertal will face new measures since two weeks ago a garage party of school kids and two weddings with hundreds of guests each have made us a new hot-spot. I could kick them!!!
Well, at least Axel and I had our flu-jabs on Friday. :birthday-dancer

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

How's Axel's recovery going, Uschi? Hope he's progressing well.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Pampy wrote:How's Axel's recovery going, Uschi? Hope he's progressing well.

The wounds are healing really well, but the intestine is still a bit miffed. It needs a bit of time to get back to normal, but so far, so good. Now he needs to get his mojo back slowly. He is also painfully thin. I am working on that. :hi5:

Here he is. This was taken last Sunday when his little granddaughter had her "Horror"-themed birthday party.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox