Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby Seatallan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

There were treacle mines in a village (Tadley) near our old stamping ground in Reading, now celebrated in local pub names and an annual Treacle Fair :D

Morning Wildies :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:30 pm

liketocook wrote:We'd be worried the free range haggis might fall in them
Free range haggis do not exist, everyone knows that they are captive bred.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:44 pm

mistakened wrote:
liketocook wrote:We'd be worried the free range haggis might fall in them
Free range haggis do not exist, everyone knows that they are captive bred.

That's what we want folk to think ;) :lol:

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm

dennispc are you and Gruney in competition :? :D

:D If I was trying to compete with Gruney, I’d would’ve posted these. I leave you to decide which were worth posting.

What did the French diner say when offered a second egg?
"Thank you - but un oeuf is un oeuf”

Our local swimming pool has given out info for when it reopens. To aid social distancing, lanes 1, 3 and 5 will have no water in them.

Have you ever tried blindfold archery?
You don't know what you're missing..

Never marry a tennis pro. Love means nothing to them.

Do you keep falling over for no apparent reason?
Call tripadvisor.......

I judged a beauty contest in Cardiff once. The girl who won had 36 double D's. Even by Welsh standards, that's a long surname.

Bloody covid-19. We ran out of toilet paper and started using lettuce leaves. Today was just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.

Do submarine periscopes have fisheye lenses..?

HIGNFY was good last night, but not so the previous week. Ian, I think, needs a large audience, but his partner made the programme.

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

:D aero280 some people think I can be a bit OCD at times :roll: , particularly on stuff that might be considered a sensitive area, but it was on Sky News and in Wikipedia as well.

“The app was downloaded six million times on the first day it was generally available (24 September 2020), and after a little over three days the total exceeded 10 million.[41]
After approximately two weeks the app had been downloaded around 16 million times, and Sky News reported that only one alert for an outbreak linked to a venue had been sent.[42]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_COVID-19

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 pm

dennispc wrote:
dennispc are you and Gruney in competition :? :D

:D If I was trying to compete with Gruney, I’d would’ve posted these. I leave you to decide which were worth posting.

What did the French diner say when offered a second egg?
"Thank you - but un oeuf is un oeuf”

Our local swimming pool has given out info for when it reopens. To aid social distancing, lanes 1, 3 and 5 will have no water in them.

Have you ever tried blindfold archery?
You don't know what you're missing..

Never marry a tennis pro. Love means nothing to them.

Do you keep falling over for no apparent reason?
Call tripadvisor.......

I judged a beauty contest in Cardiff once. The girl who won had 36 double D's. Even by Welsh standards, that's a long surname.

Bloody covid-19. We ran out of toilet paper and started using lettuce leaves. Today was just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.

Do submarine periscopes have fisheye lenses..?

HIGNFY was good last night, but not so the previous week. Ian, I think, needs a large audience, but his partner made the programme.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My (at least) 20-25 yr old Moulinex blender jug (still Made in France!) has just died :cry:

Should I replace the jug? https://www.belstar-electrics.co.uk/cat ... lend-2000/ plus £3.95 postage ... there are apparently 2 in stock ...

... or look for a new blender? I'm very happy with it - have been since I bought it at Robert Dyas on Chiswick High Road all those years ago.

Fortunately the beetroot soup it was blending is fine.

My instinct is to get a new jug. I haven't even looked at the prices of new blenders yet.

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:45 pm

If you're happy with the blender, I'd go for a new jug - might be difficult to find a reasonably priced replacement and better for the environment!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 pm

Just been looking, this might be the only realistic alternative https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Electric-BPA-Free-Stainless-Steel-Smoothies/dp/B08JCRFLDZ/ref=sr_1_40?dchild=1&keywords=blenders&pd_rd_r=e7b0811f-9130-465b-91ef-18353472f0e5&pd_rd_w=tSMgk&pd_rd_wg=f5pqG&pf_rd_p=6f69d318-73a0-4583-9163-bcdf3f23df3a&pf_rd_r=2GBDXQH5HCRVCE19EM8E&qid=1602938531&s=kitchen-appliances&sr=1-40

It has a removeable blade - but tbh, I'm not sure how much of an advantage that would be. Just another seam/join that could leak ...
The jug is bigger and the motor 500w instead of 400w - but when I make larger quantities I just blend it in batches ....

I think my instinct is still go for the replacement jug. You're absolutely right about it being better for the environment, Pampy!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:y instinct is to get a new jug. I haven't even looked at the prices of new blenders yet.

You never know - I had the previous version of that vintage 1975 and the motor died after about 25 years but I knew a kitchen in France full of 40 year old Moulinex still going strong. I did use the grinder a lot though.

I think I’d be inclined to replace the whole thing - Argos do a basic jug blender for £17.99 and Dyas have a couple of nice looking ones for £39.99, I quite fancy the Daewoo but I wouldn’t need a jug blender now as I use my stick blender

Been to the market, got everything :o had to queue but spent the time having a good look at the shopping trolley of the lady next to me, as it’s the make - Rolser - I’ve been looking at online. Might be my Xmas present to me

I too like Helen Lewis on HIGNFY - she’s good on the R4 News Quiz quite often too

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I too like Helen Lewis on HIGNFY - she’s good on the R4 News Quiz quite often too

And at least she didn't have her hair put up this time!
Do you remember, the first time she went on it they'd asked her how she wanted her hair and she just said, ok, put it up, and it looked really odd - she then talked about it the next time she was on and said it had been a mistake :lol: :lol:
I also think I read somewhere that they're not doing hair and make-up for TV any more because of covid?

Hmm, looking at further alternatives. I know I don't want a glass jug so that cuts out some ranges ....

Decisions .... :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:31 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:I too like Helen Lewis on HIGNFY - she’s good on the R4 News Quiz quite often too

And at least she didn't have her hair put up this time!
Do you remember, the first time she went on it they'd asked her how she wanted her hair and she just said, ok, put it up, and it looked really odd - she then talked about it the next time she was on and said it had been a mistake :lol: :lol:
I also think I read somewhere that they're not doing hair and make-up for TV any more because of covid?

Hmm, looking at further alternatives. I know I don't want a glass jug so that cuts out some ranges ....

Decisions .... :oops:

I thought the same about her hair :lol: There are some odd lipstick choices going on in places so I suspect the make up people are sitting at home quietly weeping :(

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:34 pm

It has got to that time of year here when you do not know what to wear. I stopped wearing my summer dresses last week. Now I have to decide what length sleeve to wear, I started with short sleeves this morning bit have had to move on to elbow length now. No rain forecast

Chicken & Leek Pie for supper,

Moira

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 pm

The pie sounds good Moira! It's getting to be that time of the year in the UK!

Dennis! We all need a good laugh!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm

I don't think I've seen HIGNFY since Angus Deayton left. I didn't realise it was still on.

Hard decision re the jug/blender. A new jug seems the right thing but then the motor could go on forever or give out next week :?.

Moira, no hard decisions about what to wear here. Something thick with sleeves.

dennispc - the jokes made me smile, I laughed out loud at the TripAdvisor one.

We had a fab walk in Savernake Forest, there are a lot of oak, ash and beech trees all starting to change colour. A lot of holly too, some with berries starting to redden, some not. There are various reasons I haven't walked in that forest for years but I will certainly go again. We finished with a soup lunch at the Polly Tea Rooms in Marlborough and it was warm enough to sit outside if suitably dressed. Sorry if any of you are on virtual lockdown, we are very lucky so far.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I don't think I've seen HIGNFY since Angus Deayton left. I didn't realise it was still on.

Couldn't bear smug-faced Deayton. They've had some wonderfully funny presenters since. Jo Brand springs to mind as one of the best. I now have to record that and the simultaneous Gogglebox and decide which to watch first on a Saturday morning. (We go to bed at 9PM here).

How are you on complaining?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm

I kind of think I’m reasonable enough but something has come up and I’m not sure I should because I’m not paying anything. (Even reading that makes me feel I’m being ridiculous)!

As part of the package we are getting for OH since he was discharged from hospital we have a 6 week free assessment by Social Services on what our future caring needs may be.. A carer comes in each morning and showers or strip washes him, gets him dressed and brings him downstairs if he’s up for it. We see around 4-5 carers per week and they are wonderful. Except for one. She is delightfully turned out, is always two hours late and has the worst BO I have encountered in living memory. Today she went upstairs, brought his breakfast plate and mug down, left him in bed, did nothing and then left. She is all smiles and cheeriness but the smell is quite overpowering and she has done nothing at all.

They fill in a log and she writes very non commital things. I suspect she has either had no training or has a fear of soap and water! :o

The others are marvellous! Would you make a fuss?

Re: How are you on complaining?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Yes, I would fuss - she could kill someone if she’s sufficiently lax to leave a vulnerable person alone in a bathroom

Any possibility of starting with an informal chat with the best of the others to find out the best way in? You don’t have to name the person you are worried about, but if she says “oh, Gloria again?” you will know how things stand

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 pm

That’s a clever thought Sue. Thanks!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes do. They are being paid to do a job and it doesn't matter that you are not the one paying them. If you continued the care, you might continue to have the same people anyway, assuming it's all outsourced. It's a while since my mother was in this situation, though, so can't remember exactly what happened. (Complicated by the fact that she was in and out of hospital so got quite a bit of inital free NHS care.)

My mother always has one bad carer, it has to be said. It's the rule even though they come and go (and they don't go because they are bad.) Being bad in her case means forgetting to do things or leaving things where she can't reach them etc.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Your OH should have a named Care Manager who was/is responsible for assessing, arranging and managing his care and the budgetary allocation. It is he/she you need to be speaking to in the first instance (and ASAP). Absolutely not to any of the other carers ... unless it is to get a name and contact number ... but you should have all contacts etc on
the paperwork.
Last edited by Suffs on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox