Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Guten Tag allerseits!
No, I have not gone awol, just didn't have much energy. :D

What is a hedgehog when it is at home? I only know the animals and spiced minced meat shaped into hedgehog shape and decorated with onion quills.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm

mistakened wrote:
I heard on the BBC News this morning that last Saturday was the wettest day on record in some in the UK.

Moira

It was the average for the whole of the UK.

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Uschi wrote:
What is a hedgehog when it is at home? I only know the animals and spiced minced meat shaped into hedgehog shape and decorated with onion quills]

it's an ice cream (in a cone) smothered in clotted cream and then rolled in chopped, toasted hazelnuts. no live animals or meat and onions involved whatsoever.
it's a speciality of the national trust café at chapel porth, in cornwall.

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm

scullion wrote:
Uschi wrote:
What is a hedgehog when it is at home? I only know the animals and spiced minced meat shaped into hedgehog shape and decorated with onion quills]

it's an ice cream (in a cone) smothered in clotted cream and then rolled in chopped, toasted hazelnuts. no live animals or meat and onions involved whatsoever.
it's a speciality of the national trust café at chapel porth, in cornwall.

Lecker!!!! (Yummy!!!)

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:55 pm

I'm feeling a lot less meh today. I went out for a walk. First time in ages (actually even longer than lockdown!) I did 15 mins round the block and it was utterly exhausting and I'm in so much pain, but it was well worth it! Feeling a lot better for seeing something different, even if I did have to spend most of the afternoon in bed. Next time, I'll go for 4 mins, because I can manage that.
(I naively thought that considering how strong I am now from all the gardening that it would be ok, but walking is so repetitive and I hadn't accounted for that!)
Still smiling, though.

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 pm

how are you with walking poles?
for me, i find it spreads the load when i'm doing 'teddies' with them rather than putting all of the onus on my lower limbs and back. it makes it much easier for me, especially down the slope and up the steps..

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Scully - don't know. never tried them. It's the whole upright thing and repetitive movement that do me in. My body doesn't work too well when I'm upright! I did use my walking stick for the second half, which helps a lot.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm

scullion wrote:thunder and lightning? - that other delicacy involving clotted cream.

Oh yes, that's a sandwich with treacle and clotted cream I believe? I knew there was an association between the two somewhere.

I was reading online that before golden syrup, proper treacle was used which made the combination look like the tide during a thunderstorm. Being curious at how long treacle had been a thing in Britain I looked further, it was once used only for medicinal purposes but also, 'a traditional Cornish fisherman's celebratory drink is "Mahogany", made from two parts local gin—now usually Plymouth Gin—mixed with one part black treacle'.

Cornwall seems very keen on treacle - perhaps it was smuggled or rescued from shipwrecks.

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Perhaps treacle was cheap? Over here in the Rhineland sugar beet treacle or apple syrup are similarly popular.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:00 pm

It looks as though gradually more affordable molasses and sugar developed at the same rate in the 17th/18th centuries, we all know the sad history that made this possible. I doubt it would have been very cheap for the ordinary person in Cornwall first of all though. I can't help thinking it may be something to do with the proximity of the sea if treacle really was used quite liberally early on - or perhaps none of the delicacies are really very old.

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Is treacle always made of sugar canes? As I said, the German versions are made of sugar beet syrup. This was developed and popularised during Napoleon's Continental blockade. So it has been around since the nineteenth century. Before that apple and pear syrups were used.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 pm

It's where all the treacle mines are, isn't it? :)

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Not to mention treacle wells ...

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am

herbidacious wrote:It's where all the treacle mines are, isn't it? :)

There used to be Treacle Mines in Sabden, Lancashire.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... letubbies/

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:48 am

Uschi wrote:Is treacle always made of sugar canes? As I said, the German versions are made of sugar beet syrup. This was developed and popularised during Napoleon's Continental blockade. So it has been around since the nineteenth century. Before that apple and pear syrups were used.

From what I read earlier, sugar from cane was around long before beet sugar. It may have originated in India or thereabouts a long, long time ago. I hadn't thought of molasses or treacle from fruit syrups but it does seem to have been used more for medicinal purposes until the 18th century. I am just interested to know if there's a reason that least two Cornish delicacies use it.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:58 am

now this one looks really good, suffs - position and garden!

Postby Rainbow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 am

Uschi wrote:Guten Tag allerseits!

What is a hedgehog when it is at home? I only know the animals and spiced minced meat shaped into hedgehog shape and decorated with onion quills.

I've never heard of an ice cream hedgehog before. But we used to make Hedgehog slice using crushed biscuits or sometimes rolled oats. Like this
https://bakeplaysmile.com/chocolate-hed ... e-no-bake/

but usually didn't bother with the chocolate icing.

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 am

Good Morning Campers
Pampy wrote:There used to be Treacle Mines in Sabden, Lancashire
I thought that the Treacle wells were in Chobham, Surrey, that is what my Grandmother told me.

Moira :mug:

Postby Suelle » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:23 am

Hedgehog Cake is the only one I've come across.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/hedgehog-cake
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 am

scullion wrote:now this one looks really good, suffs - position and garden!

And look at the address!!!

Good morning. Very cloudy. Managed to get a last minute cancellation for my gym class this morning so need to rush. See you later.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox