Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:01 pm

for those who want to know why the saying goes that anywhere there's a hole in the ground you'll find a cornishman down it, here's a little film of an alternative cornwall.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:44 pm

One has to set oneself goals, Scully. I have bought bulbs. I don't want to waste them and no pain no gain (in the spring.) Doing things, especially outside, seems to help with my low mood. Sitting still all day makes me even lower.

I planted out the rest of alliums. Now it's raining torrrentially, but there's that curious light you get that makes red things glow, even though the sky is dark grey for the most part. It's also flooded down the bottom... It's a bit early in the year for that. (Usually it takes a combination of intermittent normal and some sustained excessive rain for this to happen.)

I have just discovered that the milk frother I ordered as a cheer me up attempt treat (and absolutely don't need and should not have bought) is pretty much the same as my Hotel Chocolat devise. :oops: It can go to France... (one day...)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:02 pm

I have been for my walk, caught the sunny interval but the wind was really getting up and the sky looks very threatening now

Watching a bit of the ATP tennis finals, will do something more active in a while, quite tired

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:05 pm

Ha, just grabbed a few minutes walking round a short block, getting back inside before more torrential rain, which has stopped again!
Feel sorry for all the people waiting outside the local gastro pub for their take away Sunday roast. Must have been at least 8 groups of people waiting.

On the healing power of music, some of you saw this on my FB page but for those who don't do FB, this is a very beautiful and moving piece: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-54896710

Herbi, did your mother sing professionally?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Since I last posted we have had an intense thunderstorm and the sun is returning :o

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:18 pm

herbidacious wrote:One has to set oneself goals, Scully. I have bought bulbs. I don't want to waste them and no pain no gain (in the spring.) Doing things, especially outside, seems to help with my low mood. Sitting still all day makes me even lower.

I planted out the rest of alliums. Now it's raining torrrentially, but there's that curious light you get that makes red things glow, even though the sky is dark grey for the most part. It's also flooded down the bottom... It's a bit early in the year for that. (Usually it takes a combination of intermittent normal and some sustained excessive rain for this to happen.)

I have just discovered that the milk frother I ordered as a cheer me up attempt treat (and absolutely don't need and should not have bought) is pretty much the same as my Hotel Chocolat devise. :oops: It can go to France... (one day...)

Are you shielding , Herbi ? I think I may have read from you , you haven’t been out for ten days , apologies if I’ve got the wrong person . If so , I’m sure being in the same surroundings day after day is bound to make you feel low . I think the mental implications for peoples health long term could be pretty serious . Unless you absolutely have to shield , could your husband not take you for a drive , or go for a walk at quieter times . Might help things a bit

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:33 pm

Hello everyone.
What a stormy night that was. Our walk has been done in the sunshine but the wind was still strong and quite cold. Woolly hat weather!
The fridge in the garage has stopped working which is a pain. Motor seems dead as a dodo. We only have an under the counter fridge in the kitchen which is too small for our needs so the garage one gets a lot of use. I think it’s only just stopped today, I hope so as there was a joint of pork in there for today’s dinner. I’ll have to do the sniff test.
Herbi, I hope your IKEA delivery arrives ok.

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:46 pm

How cold is the garage? Some fridges won’t turn on if the outside air temp is below 6 degrees C. If it’s a fridge freezer, the freezer is set to be a few degrees below the fridge and doesn’t have its own thermostat. This can be dangerous if the air temp is, say, 4 dec C. The unit stays off an£ the freezer warms up to the air temp.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Amyw wrote:

Are you shielding , Herbi ? I think I may have read from you , you haven’t been out for ten days , apologies if I’ve got the wrong person . If so , I’m sure being in the same surroundings day after day is bound to make you feel low . I think the mental implications for peoples health long term could be pretty serious . Unless you absolutely have to shield , could your husband not take you for a drive , or go for a walk at quieter times . Might help things a bit

No, I am being very careful, but primarily just lazy/ there is nowhere nice to go on foot/have been trying to spend any spare time when the weather is nice doing garden things that need doing/but have been too shattered this week to do much at all beyond trying to work once my annual/compassionate leave finished.

Husband has been at his mother's house two consecutive weekends. But it's also been a weird week. He's not been working but he has been on the phone on and off all day talking to solicitors/funeral people etc. If he had been working, he'd have been gliued to his chair anyway.

Low because it's wintery, it's my default state, alas (faulty brain wiring, maybe) and been a bit lonely having been on my own since Thursday, and no one to talk to. He's coming home tonight - but not set off yet. 5 hour drive usually.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Aero, it’s a larder fridge so no freezer. It’s been in the garage for the last 15/16 years with no problems so it doesn’t owe us anything. It’s mainly used for vegetables, drinks and various jars/bottles of sauces so it was really only the pork that might be suspect.
This has now passed the sniff test and is in the oven smelling delish.

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:12 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:57 pm

It takes a very special sort of racist idiot to question whether a Navajo Congressman is in the USA illegally

https://thinklab.com/content/1616903

:twisted:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Very sad :evil:.

I have noticed that a slogan being bandied about in similar circles goes "Pro life, pro God, pro gun". I'm all for everyone having a say in a democracy but I do like to see a little logic in what is said and I can't see any there.

KC2 I saw your clip elsewhere the other day. So poignant. Music has such amazing power.

I hope your delivery came Herbi. Is it the mattress? I don't suppose they'll carry it to your bedroom but hope you have comfy nights once it's in situ.

We had a lovely walk. GD was on her scooter so we stayed mostly on hard ground round one of those new estates in the style of Poundbury where every house is built in the style of a different period. It's not bad but I wonder if it really will look like a quaint village when matured in years to come.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:37 pm

No the mattress came last Wednesday, so husband was able to help me with it. I am happy with it! Still need to get rid of the old one. Just caught Basil using it as a scratching post... It was some other bits and bobs from the same order, today. It came by DPD.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Glad the mattress is satisfactory! What fun to have a parcel of 'bits' to open!

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:03 am

Night night all ... sleep tight :yawn

Postby mistakened » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:16 am

Good Morning Campers, because of the latest Covid restrictions Deb is not going to her usual Monday group. At present my lacemaking group will be meeting on Wednesday but as last week there were only four of us I am not sure if it will happen.

Moira :mug:

Postby icelesley » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 am

Good Morning campers. It's dry here at the moment but very windy and cold. OH has done most of the electrics in the kitchen ( he is qualified electrician ) so we will not need the kitchen electrician to do too much, just finishing off :thumbsup

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 am

scullion wrote:good after morning, all.
i think the rain has stopped - hoorah!

herbidacious wrote:I want an excuse not to do anything.

why do you need an excuse? it's your life you can do what you want with it! if you really do need an excuse (to whom?) then you can just tell them you're consolidating some thoughts on your current work.
otherwise just sit and watch a happy film and tell them you're taking a little of the holiday you've been unable to have this year.
i record some stuff where there's quite a bit of sun and watch that on a dull, wintery day. we watched the last three episodes of 'a suitable boy' last night for that reason - mama mia works for my partner...
nothing planned.
we have just had ten minutes of sunshine, maybe ten minutes more - it's a shame we don't have an oscillating wind!
it seems that herr drumpft is intending to stand again in 2024 - if he hasn't drowned in his own bile by then (or been pronounced clinically insane).
have a good afternoon, everyone.

Morning all. Scully, I agree with you about not needing an excuse to do nothing especially since I retired when each day is my own to do with as I please and sometimes it pleases me to just sit and watch a film. Even when I was at work if I fancied a break to unload various thoughts I took it and if anyone asked I said I was thinking about how best to reply to the question I’d been asked.

A tad breezy this morning so I’ll wait and see before deciding what the day is going to bring.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am

I bribed him yesterday with a 3 course lunch including steak so today is the start of prepping the next two smaller rooms for decorating. We have the paint and the weather looks like painting weather!

My oven went on for a bacon egg and mushroom pie, an apple charlotte, 2 baked potatoes and two trays of mince pies. Some for my fiend who gifted me with a king size double quilt she was moving on and a few for the lady whose husband died recently and had put apples out for the taking.....

On weather, it looks like we have a 'rollercoaster' week with very mild for tue/wed and then turning very cold for the latter part....

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox