Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:35 pm

I do love plaice but latterly it doesn't seem to like me much and I can't imagine what's in it that should upset me so. Am absolutely fine with all other fish.

Very jealous Suffs.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Which is cheaper, sultanas or dates???? I am collating ingredients to make my version of brown sauce, it involves a lot of apples and he went and collected a shed load this morning. It is a recipe from Mrs Beetons book or tome ! for apple chutney with a few tweaks from me... for a bit of warmth I add a tad of chilli and a droddle of Lea and Perrins. I tend to make it every 3 ish years and it lasts outside the fridge. I also wizz it with the stick blender to make it smooth before jarring.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:45 pm

I can see my MIL doing exactly that (probably already has but has been lucky), Smitch.

I suppose one upside of my mother being housebound is that she can't. But it can be brought to her, of course...

Postby halfateabag » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:54 pm

PP we had scorpion fish for lunch yesterday, it was delicious, we had it with some rustic egg pasta and the end of the ratatouille. I will get some more fish out to finish with the pasta for another day. Memories of a superb lunch on an island just out of Dubrovnik harbour some years back.

Postby Kacey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:06 pm

My Mom, 81 and asthmatic also insists on going out shopping. She has absolutely no need to and I appreciate that she's on her own, but its better than the alternative.

Hope your Dad manages to cope with it Smitch.

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:33 pm

A friend in Bristol has reported that the Cribbs Causeway Shopping Centre is "Heaving with Welsh shoppers" :(

If they want to close the border, it should be a two-way thing.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:58 pm

aero280 wrote:A friend in Bristol has reported that the Cribbs Causeway Shopping Centre is "Heaving with Welsh shoppers" :(

If they want to close the border, it should be a two-way thing.

Similar with Germany and the Netherlands. The latter asked German shoppers to stay at home a few weeks ago, but did not ask their lot to do the same. Ah well.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Hope your P's are OK Smitch.....

EM, all the children in the village are in a similar predicament as someone at the village school tested positive just before half term started. Poor wee souls. I do feel for them. It was going to be a socially distanced Halloween as it was, but now the Grinch has stolen Halloween and Bonfire Night.... :cry:

Fast moving showers here today. The sun is casting rain-shadows on the Pennines and the sky is that inky blue/black you get just before it hammers down. Very beautiful in fact. :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby nursemimi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Morning everyone. It is cold and freezing rain here today. This is December weather not October. Luckily neither one of us has to work today.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Guten Tag Mimi, lovely to see you! Best stay inside in this weather.
It is not great here, but at least not like December.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm

So sorry to read of your parents' diagnosis Smitch. I hope they do ok (your mother not yet tested so fingers crossed). I think we're getting to the stage where the rules are causing family rifts - even just on this board. Our sweetie of a public health officer has been recorded as saying he holds out no hope for Christmas because he doesn't believe anyone will stick to the rules. At least he's honest. I can see that if you have been shielding since February ( which many have), the temptation to have a few drinks at your social club, which presumably isn't breaking rules, is overwhelming.

Aww, that's sad Seatallen. GD is allowed to mingle again from Wednesday, they had 10 days half term for inset days etc so they'll get the end of it. Halloween will be a small family party of 5 people in the same bubble and bonfire night won't really be anything on a school night with no public displays. One day I'll take her to Lewes :).

Had a nice walk, 4 miles nearer John O'Groats. I wish I could go straight to the osteopath afterwards, I creak somewhere different every day.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Been for my walk
Done a few minor chores
Won a league backgammon match (online) :D

KeenCook2 wrote:Morning all, shortly off to drive OH to the dentist and back so he can avoid the tube (he doesn't drive) and he swallowed a huge filling last week ...
Sue, I hadn't realised your sense of taste was still dodgy? Sorry you're still not fully fit again.

Wishing him good luck with the dentist, I'm having root canal work part 2 on Saturday - Hallowe'en, not very auspicious :D

I thought my sense of smell was pretty much back to normal, just not quite as sensitive as normal, then over the last few weeks I've developed parosmia which is distortion of taste - often everything tastes as if I've been gargling with cheap nail varnish remover, sometimes for no reason but some foods trigger it, and I had a sniff of my vanilla & almond extracts and my sense of smell is not nearly as good as usual, they smell really weak (they are pretty potent ones)
I've been chatting online with people doing yet another study - this time about sense of smell & taste, and this seems pretty Covid normal, we hope :crossed and it seems likely, that this is the smell receptors getting back to work (eventually). Very good piece about this on last Thursday's R4 Inside Science

Smitch, hope your Dad is OK, welcome to the world of seniors who don't believe a word their adult offspring say

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Sorry the first thing I should have said was that I do hope your parents will be ok, Smitch. You must be very worried.

I managed to fit 30 mins of hopefully therapeutic gardening in at lunch time, planting bedding and bulbs. (Alas, I planted some tiny alliums as if they were snowdrops, which I half thought they were). My day has not been going well...

I had a phone call earlier from my mother's care provider. I answered the phone, and the person on the other end said, "I am calling from Sxxxxxxx about your mother, Edith Fxxxx.... " Then there was a long, long pause....
I was sure, utterly sure, for a few heart stopping moments, that he'd rung to say she had died.
She hasn't... or hadn't at that point ;) He was returning my call from Friday, which I'd forgotten about. I had a good cry afterwards.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Fingers crossed for your parents Smitch!!! :newhuggy

Herbie, that is bad. I am glad that all is well anyway. Magic1

Postby nursemimi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Smitch and Herbi. I hope both of your parents are well.
So far both of ours are pretty well staying in thank heavens.

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Fingers crossed for those with poorly relatives, (or who are poorly themselves).

Well, we WERE due to go to Chester tomorrow - for the first time EVER, but it has been cancelled by the coach company, due to That Virus!
We hope to go next year tho.

I will not be going into 'W' until at least next Weds, as someone in my 'W' bubble has tested positive. We have all been very strict with PPE, masks, gloves, distancing, etc, so those in charge don't think that any others in the bubble are infected, BUT we have been asked to stay away as a precaution.

So, because Chester has been cancelled, as has Blackpool at the weekend, Sis & I went for a large afternoon tea at our favourite tea room instead, (as you do), and we are going out to lunch tomorrow.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Should you be isolating Grassy?

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 pm

That's how I read it. And now your sister needs to as well.

No tea. No lunch. Stay home.

If you have been with anyone with a Covid positive, you all have to isolate.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Certainly the case for school class bubbles. 14 days isolation from the date the culprit noticed symptoms (or the first day after that that person was in the bubble). I thought that workplaces were supposed to issue directives to that effect, maybe there's a reason they didn't but 'you'll probably be alright' doesn't sound right! Anyone else in your household can go about as normal unless you or they develop symptoms, but you can't.

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:05 pm

He didn't develop symptoms until he'd been at home for a few days. He lives with his GF, who tested positive before he did.

We are VERY strict about covid rules at 'W'. On Friday, I even asked a pair of students to separate and stick to their booked study spaces.

Besides, if I DID start developing suspect symptoms, I would isolate asap.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox