Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Mature trees are wonderful, but they don't half do damage when they drop something or topple over themselves. I grew up in a huge garden designed and planted before WW I, the trees were literally choking each other and there was eternal darkness under them in summer.

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm

we were woken in the middle of the night, many years ago now, by strange lightening. it was an electricity cable in one of the fields down the lane (two or three hundred metres away) that had come detached from its pole and was thrashing about on the field, flashing and crackling away. scary. no trees involved.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Thankfully no thrashing cables to be seen here Scully :shock:

Our big ash is in the far right hand corner of our garden so its branches spread over three other gardens as well as our own. We all love the wildlife it brings but it's on a high chalk bank and has not done well out of the prolonged dry spells we've had over the past few years ... that coupled with the effects of the Chalara dieback disease meant that it was very late leafing up this year and the foliage has been much sparser than usual. We called in an arboriculturist used by the National Trust and he advised that re-pollarding might delay its demise and at least if it didn't re-generate the remaining trunk would be good for wildlife ... we have a rambling rose Francis E Lester growing nearby which could be encouraged to clothe it. The ash is usually full of birds, large and small ... fingers crossed that some still visit us :crossed

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 pm

This is straight from Scotland. Students in an advanced Biology class were taking their mid-term exam. The last question was, 'Name seven advantages of Mother's Milk. The question was worth 70 points or none at all.
One student, in particular, was hard put to think of seven advantages.
However, he wrote:
1) It is perfect formula for the child.
2) It provides immunity against several diseases.
3) It is always the right temperature.
4) It is inexpensive.
5) It bonds the child to mother, and vice versa.
6) It is always available as needed.
And then the student was stuck. Finally, in desperation, just before the bell rang indicating the end of the test, he wrote:
7) It comes in two attractive containers and it's high enough off the ground where the cat can't get it.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Suffs wrote:Good morning all (just) :D :mug:

Half-arsed doesn't even go close EM .... why so many people were taken in by hubristic waffle and made him the Tory leader is beyond me ... it's not as if his reputation didn't precede him. :twisted: Is it just that he wanted it so much and they didn't like to say no ?

I couldn't have put it better Suffs!! :thumbsup

Uschi, your roasted pumpkins look fab. I adore pumpkin soup :yum . By the way- what a fab word Ubergangsmantel is! I really like that... must dig mine out actually.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Good morning everyone,
Ha ha Gruney :lol:
I've had a lazy morning so far which has been lovely. We ended up watching TV until after midnight so I was in no hurry to get going today. I'll finish my :mug: and then see what needs to be done chores-wise.
The pizza was delicious but my son got a bit carried away in the dough making there's enough in the freezer for another time and we made some dough balls stuffed with red pesto and mozzarella. They were yummy and a definite make again. :yum
My son is just about to head to B&Q to get some paint samples as he's offered to paint the kitchen in coming weeks. The thought of the upheaval is daunting but it will be lovely to have it freshened up.
Turkey steaks marinated in yoghurt, harissa and lemon for dinner. I'll griddle them to serve in buns and make some coleslaw to have with them. The steaks are from a largeish turkey, I'll need to have a think about what to do with what's left.

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Love it, Gruney, and Axel loves it even more. :lol:

LTC, I love pumpkins and pretty much everything you can make from them. I am thinking of making some pumpkin jam, too, for cheese boards and the like. I had some in portugal to go with a creamy goats' cheese and am trying to remember what it was like. No citrus fruit involved, I think, but a hint of pumpkin spices. Probably more nutmeg than cinnamon.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Gruney :lol:

Sd bread out of the oven and brunch of scrambled eggs on toast with crispy bacon has been demolished by both of us. Everything is ready to go in the oven for our meal later ... an afternoon of reading/knitting may be on the cards ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 pm

:lol: Gruney

Earthmaiden wrote:Talking of things that spy on people (not smart meters), a man was had up locally the other day for manipulating people's smart goods which contained cameras so that he could view them in their homes without their knowledge. https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... ay-police/

I read this on the BBC website this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54554408
Sad and scary for those poor abused partners and their children :cry:

Have a good rest of the day, everyone.

I made Rats' boiled fruit cake again yesterday - it never fails! I do hope her family are doing ok :(

Postby Seatallan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Suffs wrote:
an afternoon of reading/knitting may be on the cards ...

Snap! Though in my case, knitting whilst watching 'Downton Abbey'. I didn't see it when it was on for some reason and have only recently 'discovered' it. I'm about half way through season 4 at the moment, and very much enjoying it :D

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:18 pm

I've done nearly 3 hours in the garden now. Shattered. Husband decided to do things in the garden too, so not the relaxing, solitary escape I was hoping for... (He does everything angrily and loudly.) He hacked back a lovely flowering choisya when i wasn't looking, dumped a heavy planter on top of my pumpkins and put a paving slab on a sage. Ah well. He cut the lawns as well. Pepper and aubergine plants now denuded of final offerings and pots emptied (mostly), small raised bed out front will be ready for bulbs after I get compost (I had to sieve out zillions of little terracotta balls, put on the top a couple of years ago to preserve sunflowers, and now distributed quite densely throughout. Thankless task.) About 40 bedding plants put out. I need more. Only a small space, but... I can see why they are relatively cheap. I hope they survive.

Reward for all this was nachos (junky, I know, but they were really good) and a salted caramel éclair :)

We were near very near to Coulsdon, EM. The church was Chaldon church. (There didn't seem to be a village attached to it...) It's astonishing how long it takes us to get to these places. Chaldon is only 12 miles from us. Took about 40 mins. Mind you this was partly due to a road being blocked off in Croydon which sat nav didn't know about.

Re: How are you on complaining?

Postby Seatallan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:21 pm

I agree with everyone- it needs to be raised (and sooner rather than later). You could always make a point of praising the general level of care at the same time as airing your concerns about the particular care worker. As has been said, if her personal hygeine is as ropy as it sounds, it does ring additional alarm bells in the current climate. The last thing you/Mr PP need is a covid issue...

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Suffs wrote:I’m glad we’re getting our big ash re-pollarded next month.
that is why the acacia got cut back a couple of weeks ago, We have already had near miss where a branch dropped in front of the car last year.

The weather really is cooling down, I did a load of washing earlier. Last week it would be almost dry an hour later, today it is damp over three hours later.

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm

KC2, so much to be aware of :(. The control that people can have over others with the use of technology is limitless I think. No wonder people are wary of things like the NHS app.

I've been rather lazy and watched the Hairy Bikers in South Korea instead of things I meant to do. It was interesting. Now to have a walk and then do the morning chores late afternoon instead :oops: (my mother would despair :lol:).

Re: How are you on complaining?

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Edit: (Replying to Pepper Pig): I think you should report the issue, which is not the same as a complaining rant, so do it soon politely before you reach ranting point. First, as said, you could pick up the slack but single ill people wouldn't be able to and it's probably not just you who finds the carer lacking. Also, you don't get a dog and bark yourself so you clearly need carers that do their job or you wouldn't be getting them.

Do you have a list of what they're meant to do? E.g. wash, dress, make tea/food, wash up, change bedding etc? If not, ask for one, saying you could then tick off items as "done" when she comes.

If you don't know who's in charge, ask. Always better to go to straight to the person who can do something.

I know mostly younger people who'd never put up with things and make allowances all the time, but this is something that's just not right.

Postby THE MOD TEAM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Hello Everyone
Pepper Pig's thread about Complaining has been merged into here as although clearly significant decision, it's not food related.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Yes. Apologies again for getting it wrong. Under a bit of stress at the moment.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Going back to my comments a couple of days ago about the neighbourhood cats and their toilet habits...

We went outside yesterday to find a planter had been disturbed and a parcel placed in it :evil:

This morning the second planter has had the same treatment :evil:

They now have sprigs of holly in them, as does the third one, in anticipation.
Thank you for the suggestion Scullion.

I really do wish there was a way that cat owners could be required to take responsibility for the actions of their pets.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:33 pm

To be fair, WW, it really is much harder where cats are concerned. I do everything I can to encourage Ollie to use our garden (or his indoor litter tray) rather than leave any deposits in any of the neighbouring gardens but I can't force him to do so.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Yep, I accept that Seatallen.
Doesn't make it any less revolting though.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox