Register

Citrus Fruit

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Citrus Fruit

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:03 pm

I´ve used ordinary lime leaves - and lemon leaves - to sub Kaffir Lime leaves for some South-east Asian recipes.
To be brutally honest: not really a big difference.

Postby Uschi » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:19 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I´ve used ordinary lime leaves - and lemon leaves - to sub Kaffir Lime leaves for some South-east Asian recipes.
To be brutally honest: not really a big difference.

Thanks! I will try this!

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:17 am

Stokey Sue wrote: I was trying to remember the Asian word (it’s Thai) that we are supposed to be learning to use in place of kaffir lime - it’s makrut and it probably is one we should learn

Absolutely, Stokey.

I use ordinary lime or lemon leaves for Asian dishes and South African Cape Malay dishes always use lemon leaves in any case as all limes are extremely tropical in thrir habits and the Cape is a Med climate. I even use lemon or lime skin thinly peeled to use the zest layer only. I have bought makrut lime leaves on occasion and to agree with KdKA that there's no huge difference that you'd really notice.

On another citrus note, I make marmalade using ruby grapefruit instead of Sevilles when you can't get them which is most of the year - I add juice, pith and seeds of lemons to get the the deep sourness and pectin. Works fantastically well and the peel often cooks to a beautiful ruby hue. I also like ruby grapefruit peel for making candied peel.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox