Register

Food Room 101

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Food Room 101

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:05 pm

OH makes great cavolo nero chips, with olive oil, garlic and lemon ... :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Suelle wrote:Any 'healthy' snack made with strange grains and/or vegetables, that are puffed up to the texture of polystyrene packing chips.

I'm not against strange grains and vegetables in healthy snacks per se - I've had some interesting versions, including some from Aldi made with quinoa (another hate, usually!) - it's just the ones with the puffed up texture and usually, very little flavour.

I'm against quinoa when I cook it - but I had it at Andi Oliver's restaurant and it was very nice, my suspicion is it was cooked in a rice cooker, I had the lunch bowl, a lot of fluffy quinoa topped with a small serving of each of several different veg dishes, really nice

Postby Amyw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 pm

I love quinoa , really nice , one of my favourite Grains . I agree with the kale thing , it just seems to be a fad to roast it or “massage” it raw and have in a salad . It’s not my favourite leafy green veg anyway but definitely needs to be boiled /steamed/sautéed .

I think my top 3 would be -

Mashed potato
Hummus
Poached eggs in soups - always makes me retch when I see it

Postby Hope » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Oh I love quinoa. well it's one of those things, like rice or pasta, you wouldn't want to eat it by itself, but it's a lovely carrier. I love it in a sort of tabbouleh.

And yes - to further that - the snacks that are promoted as being "healthy" but really aren't.

And protein powders. These are not healthy things, they are ultra processed junk!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:55 pm

So I´m happy to eat a vegetarian diet (even though I eat fish occasionally), and I can confirm there is not one single vegetable/fruit/nut/grain/cheese/herb that I do not like.
I´d probably make a good partner for Suffs or Seatallan - they could chomp down all the animal bits and I´d stick with everything else :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Hope » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:there is not one single vegetable/fruit/nut/grain

there are not many that I do not like, but there are loads I can't eat. sob!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 pm

1. Coconut - anything that tastes of it and anything with the texture of desiccated. (i.e. I don't mind coconut cream in curries etc.)
2. undressed salad garnishes (esp. with rubbish tomatoes). And, actually even dressed ones. I don't want 'em, and only eat them because I feel I ought to.
3. tea - not really food? Ok then, I having nothing against avocado with cooked egg or cheese and onions pasties/sandwiches in principle, but they both make me feel very sick, alas.

I am still undecided about broad beans. Would go in Room 101 if not deskinned, for sure, but even if they are skinned, can be bitter. I quite enjoyed the ones I grew. I think...

Sitting in the lobby would be take-it-or-leave-it (but usually leave it) ice cream, do(ugh)nuts and rice.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Sliced, factory-made bread.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:29 am

Agreed WW!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 am

But then you're condemning toast and bread and butter pudding to Room 101 too :-(

(No, sourdough toast and brioche bread and butter pudding don't count, we didn't have those luxuries in my childhood...)

Because I rarely eat it (I still cook 90% of my own bread, down from virtually 100% thanks to Lidl's sourdough boules - although my homemade baguettes and rolls are better than theirs), white bread can be a real treat. Makes the best bacon sarnies too (cue indignant outcries).

And I point you to my avatar...

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:22 am

A fried egg sandwich has to be made with white sliced IMHO. As does a fish finger sandwich.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:23 am

I agree, there are certain circumstances when only white sliced bread will do!

I'd happily consign bread and butter pudding to Room 101 though.

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am

You need soft processed bread for a crisp butty. Otherwise the crisps fall out! :o

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 am

Feeling quite ill just imagining all these uses for sliced bread.
Absolutely cannot touch bread if it is so soft it has fingerprints in it and these all sound like they would.

I'm really fussy about bread and generally make my own.
I probably mentioned somewhere else that I can't bear cold, wet supermarket sandwiches and that's because of the bread.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 pm

I wouldn’t make bread and butter pudding with sliced white bread - a proper white loaf from the baker is required, I have seen tv chefs make summer pudding with sliced white, must be very slimy but the pud is very good made with a proper London bloomer

Morrison’s do a wholemeal sliced Toastie loaf which does make very nice toast

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Summer Pudding - now there's a waste of gorgeous fruit (made with sliced white).

Although that reminds me of a college recipe, decrusted sliced white bread rolled flat, drenched in butter, wrapped round asparagus and baked till crispy. Very tasty.

Postby Amyw » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I love bread and butter pudding but though I’ve never tried it , summer pudding doesn’t have the same appeal . I think with B and B , it’s the custard soaking into the bread that makes it so nice .

I think cheap bread has its place , as others have said mainly for bacon /egg/ fishfinger sarnies .

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I always thought I'd dislike summer pudding but was served some (made with sliced white) whilst staying with a relative and it was absolutely delicious. Why it doesn't taste like just bread soaked in juice I don't know but it morphs into something quite different!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:54 pm

I love it! It wasn’t a staple of my youth though and I distinctly remember when I first tasted it.

Before I could drive I used to do double bass stuff all over the place and my long-suffering father would take me to the gigs. (I must have been a bit precocious musically because I passed my driving test at 18). One such gig was an afternoon concert in the cricket pavilion at Aldenham School and we had a sumptuous tea afterwards which included Summer Pudding. My dad was very sniffy about it and would mimic the voice of the Headmaster for years afterwards. (And my dad went to bloody Eton FFS)!

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Has to be sliced white for chip butties too! My Mum used to make summer pudding with white bread and as EM said, it morphs into something completely different.
One of my Indian friends uses slices of white bread instead of pastry when she makes samosas. She cuts the crusts off, then uses a rolling pin to flatten the bread before filling and frying - and they're so tasty - they seem a lot lighter than when they're made with pastry.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox