Register

What are everyone’s shopping habits ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are everyone’s shopping habits ?

Postby halfateabag » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:48 am

Nice read Kool, but I guess not good for you except for the butchers...

I tend to use Lidl & moribobs, steer clear of s'bugs as the aisles are narrow and the choices limited, M&S too expensive for us, as is W'rose. As a treat I sometimes visit them and see how much other punters have shelled out and how much I have saved!!! Thank goodness for choices. We don't have an Aldi here but do visit them when I see one as the choices are different a bit from Lidl. Our local farm shop is overpriced so only use in an emergency.... Again only use our local village shop if really necessary... A tin of custard was £1.50 last time I was caught out, I now have a supply of Lidls powder.....

We enjoy a visit to Southall to stock up on herbs and spices but he won't go ATM. Normally have a proper Indian meal when we are there too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 am

I’ve never met a mini-mart (which is what yours sounds like kka) I’d want to use for all my shopping, must be grim :(

Am amused that you have the awful Bimbo bread, laughed aloud when I first saw it in Spain (actually Mallorca I think) years ago

Postby Seatallan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Some years back, Mr S contracted for a company who supported some of the advertising platforms for Bimbo. We used to call them 'Bimbo Bread & Buns'. It became a bit of a catch phrase and we still say it now. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:01 pm

For the last year I've been entering all my shopping into a spreadsheet. It seems a bit OCR, but it only takes a few minutes, and it means I can go back and find exactly when and where I've bought everything, which is actually really useful, as I'm on a tight budget. The spreadsheet has a section for "naughty things" like sweets, crisps, snacks, takeaways etc, so if there are too many entries there I know to exercise restraint when I go shopping.

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm

It’s been quite interesting to read everyone’s shopping habits and how different we all are . I think the spreadsheet thing sounds quite useful . There’s a lot of times I’ve bought a particular item I’ve liked and forgotten where I’ve bought it , what the brand name is of it and sometimes a good reminder of price difference too .

Postby scullion » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Sakkarin wrote:For the last year I've been entering all my shopping into a spreadsheet. It seems a bit OCR,

i don't think it's at all ocr - unless that's your mechanism of transference. ocd - yes!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Forgot to mention the Farmer’s market
I went a lot in the past, but have only been a few times since it reopened :oops: - combination of weather, clashing events, tiredness and the fact that the queuing system adopted meanders you can’t see what produce is available until you have queued

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:06 pm

scullion wrote:i don't think it's at all ocr!

Whoops, term from my graphics days, "Optical Character Recognition"...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:54 pm

I have a Co-op in the Village, but 10 mins further on there is a Tesco. Not the smallest, but not the largest either. It doesn't sell clothes, but almost anything else I would buy (apart from bleach tablets :roll: :evil: re: another thread ;) )

I used to visit Wrose at Ricky Station about once a month as a treat, but not been there since before lockdown. I prefer their ethics to Tesco, so feel much more comfortable buying a lot of their products.

I won't under any circumstances buy cheap chicken however much money I could save. It has to be at least Free Range - the same for Pork and eggs although the mixed size organic ones are a good price.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 pm

I suppose I have lots of options - nearest biggish supermarkets are Sainsburys and Waitrose (Tesco further afield) with Aldi, Lidl and M&S all within a mile or two. There is a butcher and a fishmonger (obvs neither of which are of any interest to us) a not great greengrocer, a health food shop, two biggish brilliant Turkish supermarkets and one smaller one, then several weekly farmer's markets within a few miles, plus two other very good health food shops. But we did most of our shopping in the (albeit rather rubbish Sainsburys (often has empty shelves), the Turkish supermarkets for fun or very specific things, every now and again, Waitrose and M&S as 'treat' shops.

I used to use our high road shops more when there was a Co-op, but a lot of the aforementioned local shops were shut by the time I got home from work, and we just didn't have enough leisure time to devote a chunk of it to old-fashioned multi-shop food shopping at the weekend. (Bearing in mind that husband is not interest in food shopping at all.)

I used to do top up shops near work from Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local and Leather Lane market, and occasionally buy things in the Greek deli on Farringdon road, Terroni's on Clerkenwell Road or the Fromagerie on Lamb's Conduit st. Occasional trips to Borough Market, Selfridges' food hall, Whole Foods Market or Planet Organic in town.

I also used to do top up shops near work from Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local and Leather Lane market, and occasionally buy things in the Greek deli on Farringdon road, Terroni's on Clerkenwell Road or the Fromagerie on Lamb's Conduit st.

My shopping habits are not the same now.

The only supermarket, or indeed any food shop, I have been to since March is Sainsbury's... apart from Tesco in Filey today.

re farmer's markets, some of them are such rip offs. £5 for a load of bread. Hmm well maybe a loaf of bread might be worth that, but £4 for a few onions?

Postby halfateabag » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 am

Patsy, W'rose still throw away a disgusting amount of perfectly good food, dispicable is my eyes...... makes my heart hurt! I see they are not paying staff bonuses this year???

Postby cherrytree » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:08 am

Why then do Waitrose say that they donate remaining food to food banks and charities?

Postby halfateabag » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:48 pm

because they are lying, I have seen the stuff (recently) that they chuck. No doubt they would not like the truth to be 'out there', too embarrassing. Maybe some stores do, but an awful lot just don't.....
Negative media for w'rose is not good...... of course they will say they are doing their bit.....

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 pm

To be fair that might be the poor practices of one store under poor management . You can’t really generalise a whole business by the actions of one shop

Postby cherrytree » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 pm

No you can’t. And of you see such a thing then you ask to discuss it with the manager. The thing about Waitrose is their amazing politeness.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:12 pm

Our Waitrose shut in May, it's being replaced by Morrison's in November.
I mainly shop at Asda, although during lockdown it was Sainsburys as that was my allocated supermarket as a shielder, I get the odd Tesco too.
I do it all online as I can't carry much and don't have off street parking either.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:24 pm

In Waitrose's latest sustainability report, they state that they have donated in excess of 1.3 million meals through Fare Share, in addition to financial donations.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:38 pm

This morning I went to Aldi for salad veg, citrus fruit and Portuguese wine.
Then I went across the road to Tesco for the less important stuff.

Both were slightly busier than I have seen them lately, maybe I was there at a different time.
No evidence of panic buying, I even got a bag of wholemeal flour

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Same in Watford. Thanks to my OCR ;-) spreadsheet, I can forecast that the double length six pack of loo roll I bought from Lidl yesterday will last me until late November.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Blimey Sakks! :lol: :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox