Register

What are everyone’s shopping habits ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What are everyone’s shopping habits ?

Postby Amyw » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 pm

I went to Waitrose yesterday and it was very well set out . Definitely a little pricier than others , but nice for a treat and definitely good to source more exotic ingredients.

We don’t have an Asda near us . I’m not keen on Sainsbury’s and hate the Co-Op . Tesco’s is ok but I think as it’s the biggest supermarket in our town , it just becomes a bit basic .

Our M&S food hall is nice , well set out and I like a lot of their products . I love Morrison’s too , think good value for the quality . Can’t beat a Lidl’s shop , and again some of their products are great for the price .

We’re quite lucky in we have a good greengrocers , couple of butchers and a fishmongers , plus two bakers in town , which I use regularly . We also have some very good local farm shops in the vicinity

Re: What are everyone’s shopping habits ?

Postby smitch » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 pm

The only thing we have in our tiny town is a Coop and an independent organic and vegetarian shop. They stock good beer so I go quite a bit and they had flour in stock throughout lockdown. There are also two butchers but I don’t buy meat so have no idea what they are like.

Someone has started a shop with deli counter nearby our house but I’ve not been in yet.

Our nearest supermarkets are two rubbish Tesco, an awful Asda and a mediocre Sainsbury’s about 20 minutes drive away. There is also an M&S next to Sainsburys. Aldi is also nearby but they always seem extremely busy.

We get Ocado once a week or so, I like the selection of veggie food and stuff I’d never be able to find locally. They also seem more reliable than others.

I’ve recently started ordering organic fruit & veg from a woman who lives close by. She’ll put together a mystery box for a set amount or you can pick specific items. So far it has been great and she also sells some tins and jars. I also order the veg and salad box from the milkman. I’m trying to eat more fruit & veg and reduce plastic so this works well for us.

I really wish there were more shops to use locally, I’m envious of people with good options.

Postby Amber » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:58 pm

We have ASDA, Morrison’s, Sainsburys, M&S, Co-op, Aldi, and Waitrose, all within two miles or so, and plenty of farm shops/delis, but we’re unique in not having a Tesco!

(I like Tesco!)

Postby aero280 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:20 pm

There's a lot of stuff around here. Our two staples are the local butcher who is very good, does deliveries at the moment, and keeps basic veg and cheese as well. The nearest "supermarket" is, surprisingly, Costco.

There is a local small Tesco which is Ok, but they aren't controlling the customers and it's cramped and busy. In and around Watford, there are a huge Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury on the by-pass and Morrison's which is the wrong side of town for us. I haven't been into the centre recently. I know that the John Lewis branch is one that is now permanently closed. I don't know if the Little Waitrose within the store is still trading. There's also a big M&S and a Holland & Barrett in the mall.

Not too far away is the Battlers Farm shop, which has some different choices, "artisan" flour, interesting cheeses, etc.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 am

We've got 6 Aldis, 3 Lidls, 2 Sainsburys, 2 Asdas, (one enormous), 1 large Tesco, 1 large Coop, 1 large Morrisons, 1 Waitrose, 3 x M&S food stores, 3 stores owned by Iceland and a good few Tesco and Morrisons and Coop convenience stores plus M&S in a couple of petrol stations. There is a butcher/fishmonger/deli type place locally and several nice farm shops/small cooperatives not too far out of town.

Since Covid I have frequented Sainsburys the most. I like my nearest Sainsburys. I go to Waitrose sometimes because it isn't too far away. The rest of the big stores, apart from Lidl which sometimes lures me in to buy treats, I don't like much, either because their goods or clientel are not up to much. The Coop is nearest but I don't think they should allow people to beg in the doorway so you have to climb over them even though the ethos of the Coop is good and I would be happy to help support a resolution to the issue. There are two farm shops I particularly like too. Can't think of good bakers unless you go out of town or order from the Wholefood cooperative which has a great selection of goods.

Postby Suelle » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 am

Up until recently, and since the beginning of the pandemic, I've only been shopping twice a week. I used to go out every day, mainly for the exercise, but keep things topped up with what I needed. As I walk and carry everything, shopping only twice a week is a much more physical effort.

I used to use mainly Aldi, with top-ups at Sainsbury's or Waitrose, depending on what I needed. Aldi is small and crowded, and I didn't feel safe there before masks were mandatory, so I just alternated between the other two. Now, I go into Aldi about once a month - mainly for chocolate and coffee, but I do stock up on other products which I like from there too.

I find shopping such a hassle now that I buy as much as possible during my supermarket trips, whereas previously I'd pop into Superdrug, Wilko and Boots while I was in town.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 am

I live in an inner London “village” , there are many small shops within a 5 or 10 minute walk - 2 butchers (though I eat very little meat now and I’m sometimes lazy and buy it from a supermarket), 2 fishmongers (and a third I don’t go near as it quite literally stinks) plenty of fruit and veg places and convenience stores, including Turkish and Indian shops. There’s also a Whole Foods Market, an independent upmarket grocery and a couple of decent bakeries (I favour the sourdoughs baguettes from Ak Deniz). There’s a new independent deli too

For supermarkets, there’s an Iceland about 400 metres away which is quite handy, like Suelle I walk to the shops so this scattering of small shops really suits me. The only full size supermarket within trolley trundling distanced is Morrison’s so that’s where I go. There are small Sainsbury and Tesco stores nearby which I ignore, up the hill there are are small and poor Asda and a small Sainsbury’s which I occasionally use for specific things

Further afield when not in Covid I walk to Dalston where there’s a market, Turkish Food Centre and a big Sainsbury’s, then bus home. There are a couple of big Lidls, Waitrose, and Aldi that are accessible using public transport, at least for the return but I’ve only been to Waitrose and a small Lidl a couple of times on the way through to appointments since lock down though

I had Ocado for a while but it really didn’t suit me and their meat was awful. If I get a cat or dog I’ll probably need deliveries again. But probably not Ocado as they are now M&S, not keen on them and anyway there’s one opening right on my doorstep

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am

We have everything here including the biggest Lidl in the UK which opened a month or so ago and is next to an Iceland and a Waitrose. I use all of them except Sainsbury’s which is grotty. Aero, the new Aldi in Watford is great. During lockdown M&S Food in Pinner was my go-to.

I have Ocado once a month to deliver all the heavy stuff.

Postby aero280 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 am

I’ve only been in the Watford Aldi twice, and only because it’s next to Halfords where I had to get some stuff for the car. But the staff don’t control the clientele. In the early Covid days, the queue was managed by a security guard. But once inside, it was chaos, people without masks, kids running around unsupervised, etc. It may be better now things have quietened down. I’ve been to the big Tesco two or three times and the customers seem better behaved, with security checking for masks, etc. But I have only been there when getting fuel, which these days isn’t often. Last week was the first fuel fill since April. And also it was 10.30 at night! :j

We have mostly survived on butcher’s deliveries and trips to Costco, the dentist and the chemist. Milk is delivered.

All my DIY supplies have been click and collect at Screwfix, Toolstation, B&Q and Wickes, although I may need to go to Harrow this week to get a bit that’s out of stock locally.

Postby Kacey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am

In the nearby shopping centre we have a small (and not very nice) Tesco along with a small and expensive Sainsburys. There is also a smallish M&S, which is where I've been doing most of my top up shopping since the lockdown and beyond. Within a mile or so there's Morrisons, Aldi & Lidl and about 2 miles for Asda, but as I got rid of my car 12 months ago, I only use these for specific items.

I've done online grocery shopping since it first started, using Asda, Tesco and now Ocado. I must admit I find Ocado absolutely fine, mostly due to the lack of missing items and subs. I occasionally use Morrisons home delivery for a change, but the last shop I did there a few months ago had so many missing items it wasn't worth bothering.

We have a decent Chinese supermarket in the city centre but their hours aren't user friendly for those of us who work. There is an area full of ethnic shops about a mile and half away, which is where I do all my Indian and Mediterranean shopping.

I used to have a weekly veg box delivered by Abel & Cole a few years ago, but got fed up of the driver not putting the cardboard box it was delivered in, into a plastic box on rainy days. Must investigate finding a local scheme, especially whilst I'm still at home.

Postby Busybee » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57 am

We have a local, very good butcher in the village which I use about once a month/six weeks to fill the freezer.

A local market on a Friday where we get bread, top up fruit and veg, nuts and olives and eggs if we haven’t passed the farm gate.

Since lockdown this has been accompanied by an online delivery from a Tesco. Pre lockdown I also shopped weekly at Tesco’s as it’s the closest supermarket to us, albeit still a 30 mile round trip. We have decided to keep the online delivery, with a monthly pass it works out at £2 a delivery, still less than driving to the shops, in fact it’s been a bit of a revelation regarding saving money!

We occasionally go to Costco, but that’s an 80 mile round trip so has to be classed as a day out and we end up shopping for friends and neighbours to make it worth while.

We occasionally go to a deli in a Thirsk if my addiction to Longley Farm rhubarb yogurt needs feeding :lol:

BB

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:But probably not Ocado as they are now M&S, not keen on them and anyway there’s one opening right on my doorstep

They stock much more than just M&S...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Pampy wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:But probably not Ocado as they are now M&S, not keen on them and anyway there’s one opening right on my doorstep

They stock much more than just M&S...

Yes, but it was the Waitrose stuff I was mostly buying, and the whole palaver of working out what I want for 2 weeks and finding somewhere to put it just didn't suit my way of doing things, fresh food whether meat, fish or plant I can get better & cheaper locally without the overpackaging.. The change form Waitrose ot M&S just means they have even less of what I want

Do other people not find it's tricky buying a pig in a poke? Sometimes I'd buy a 300 g pack of 2 steaks for example, and when they came there would be a 90g one, and one 210 g, no use to a single person

Obviously fine for dry goods, cleaning materials etc

Postby mistakened » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Deep envy about deliveries, one supermarket will deliver but not up here.

My usual supermarket is Lysiotis in Episcopi, they are independent, profits are ploughed back into the ever expanding shop. There is good baker, who also makes the seasonal breads, an excellent butcher although I find the sheeps heads off putting. Good fruit and vegetables, they buy from local suppliers, so we have freshly gathered hazel nuts and pistachios, next months it will be forest mushrooms.
We also shop at a local chain Alpha Mega, their butcher makes his own Kofta and Chicken Kiev. They also have a good supply of European cheeses and good frozen vegetables, they stock a reliable Greek brand Stathis. Deb buys the cat and dog food there.
Oddly there are no local weekly markets, occasional they start up on some waste ground then disappear again.

I do go to Lidl but find them unsatisfactory, except for ice cream. they do not have the same stock as the UK. Instructions on their packaging is Greek, obviously but the other languages are usually Finnish or Czech, which is a challenge

Moira

Postby Seatallan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 pm

We have Sainsbury's home delivery for essentials but I also regularly shop at our local Booths and our splendid local independent food hall (Cranstons). We also have a fab local greengrocer (Star Fruits) which I visit most weeks, and a deli (J&J Grahams), which I use as a sort of supplement to Cranstons.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:26 pm

we have two small, independent, stores up in the village, within walking distance. one has the post office counter the other a courier drop off and pick up service.
the nearest 'proper' supermarket is four or five miles away so needs a car. i think there's a free bus to the nearest morrisons but then i would have to walk home from the village with all shopping so we usually combine going shopping with any other trip out that we need to do, and as infrequently as possible!
i'm not very shop loyal.

there is no ocado delivery beyond a bit of somerset, near bristol - where is also the nearest costco - so not an option.
there are a few people who sell fruit and veg at their gates in the season - and we grow some.

we have had deliveries from tesco and one from Sainsbury's since the beginning of lockdown. i'm not impressed with most of the 'picking', although it has been convenient - and saved money for fuel! (even with having to pay for the delivery).
we now, unfortunately, have a massive bag full of plastic bags - that get used to contain more plastic picked up from the beach.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 pm

We've got most of the supermarkets nearish, except there's no longer a Waitrose in Hertford. The nearest one is Welwyn, the nearest one that will probably have whatever you might want is Cambridge. There's a Tesco and an Asda in this town, plus a little local Sainsbury. Hertford has got a big Sainsbury, Tesco and an Aldi that opened this year and I haven't been to. I suppose the nearest Lidl would be Harlow or Saint Evenage. There's a Morrison (amongst other things) at Hoddesdon. Since March I've been into a couple of them. The little Sainsbury is usually quiet. The big Tesco isn't.

I get my meat from the butcher, or delis, farm shops or FMs, which is usually where we buy cheeses. Most of the basic non-perishables come delivered from supermarkets now. Fish from our travels or the local fish van. Most fruit and veg we grow, more exotic stuff comes from markets or supermarkets. I also use the health food shop in Hertford for some things, when we were avoiding shops I used 'Buy Wholefoods Online' who were fine. We might have to use them again soon perhaps.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Cockermouth Aldi is the strictest, most
organised shop I know. From before the lockdown you wouldn’t dare not use the sanitiser and as for queuing at the end of the shop!
I use Aldi, Sainsbury’s mainly and now and then Lidl who are a bit disorganised. I haven’t been to Booths for ages so after quarantine I will drive over to Keswick when it’s quietened down a bit.
Talking of Aldi, in the summer I went to a French one. Oh my goodness what a shambolic disappointment. Aldi worldwide is divided between Aldi North and Aldi South. France is I think in Aldi North and the UK in Aldi South. The French one was dirty, the machines at the checkout didn’t work, there was no sense of purpose or excitement. Worse still, no Centre of Dreams! It was dire.

Postby Renee » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 pm

We are so lucky with our supermarkets in the UK. Asda is my nearest, so I go there quite a lot and the staff are always very helpful. I have a new Lidl now on the main road. I go there occasionally for a few things. Sainsbury about a couple of miles away and that's for an occasional visit. There are two Booths stores for an occasional visit, but not as close as the others and Waitrose. I have been shopping more at Waitrose because it's never busy and I feel safer there, but it's much better now that everyone is wearing a mask in all supermarkets. Aldi has a small car park and not very big inside. It is always busy, so I haven't been there for a few months.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:17 am

Ok, so this is good for a laugh, said I.
After six months of lockdown, mile-long queues at the petrol stations and rampant Covid-19, I´m stuck with very little choice. There are three big supermarket chains in Caracas, but there´s virtually no public transport and it would be suicide to even try to use it anyway.
I am, therefore, stuck with the local "supermarket", although there´s not really anything super about it. 4 aisles, about 25 mts long; a vegetable area, a few shelves of liquor and beer (only one kind of beer) and the meat/cheese/delicatessen at the end. Bakery? Nah - Holsum or Bimbo (yes, that´s the brand name) bread, which is so gross, I only buy it for the dog :gonzo Occasionally there´s some home-made bread from one of the local artisan bakers, but it´s not regular.
The good thing is that the fruit/veg arrive fresh every Tuesday, so that´s the day to shop. Choice? What ever turns up.
Ready-made, frozen meals? Never heard of them; everything has to be made from scratch. The butcher, however, is one of the partners of the store and he´s been there for 40 years. Any meat that is bought is excellent ( according to my wife and kids) and the butcher will happily prepare chops, fillets, roast beef, wienerschnitzels, etc. on the spot.
I was in Mexico over Christmas and actually spent 3 hours in one of the Chedraui stores there. The place is about a square mile, with a wine bar, 4 restaurants, a cigar bar and enough choice to keep you there all day if necessary.
But that was 9 months ago: it´s reality time now!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox