Register

Podcasts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Podcasts

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 pm

I was going to put this in the ‘other stuff’ board but didn’t see an option to post a new topic.

Does anyone listen to any good podcasts? Food or otherwise? I often listen when cooking or working from home.

I’ve been listening to the Fortnum and Mason Hungry Minds podcast recently and I’ve also listened to Table Manners with Jesse Ware and Radio 4s Food Programme. I also love dipping in and out of some Desert Island Discs.

Not food related but Simon Mayo’s old Confessions podcasts make me howl!

Any others to recommend?

Re: Podcasts

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Jay Rayner’s Out to Lunch is fun, he has lunch with someone well known at an appropriate restaurant and they chat, they did some takeaways in lockdown

I’ve enjoyed some of the Honey & Co podcasts but they are quite variable in both sound quality and content

Other food ones are just the BBC R4 podcasts of the Food Programme and the Kitchen Cabinet

I listen to the BBC science podcasts of one kind and another, last week’s The Life Scientific with Sarah Gilbert who is developing the Oxford Covid vaccine was good, also Inside Science, then there are The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry and The Infinite Monkey Cage with Brian Cox & Robin Ince which are both more light entertainment though with real science at base. Robin Ince does other comedy podcasts which I keep meaning to try

Also one I’ve mentioned before, Shedunnit show about crime fiction, I’d like to find more book club type podcasts, I sometimes listen to Backlisted but it’s a bit hit & miss, and not much use if you haven’t read the book

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Jay Rayner’s Out to Lunch is fun, he has lunch with someone well known at an appropriate restaurant and they chat, they did some takeaways in lockdown

I’ve enjoyed some of the Honey & Co podcasts but they are quite variable in both sound quality and content

Other food ones are just the BBC R4 podcasts of the Food Programme and the Kitchen Cabinet

I listen to the BBC science podcasts of one kind and another, last week’s The Life Scientific with Sarah Gilbert who is developing the Oxford Covid vaccine was good, also Inside Science, then there are The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry and The Infinite Monkey Cage with Brian Cox & Robin Ince which are both more light entertainment though with real science at base. Robin Ince does other comedy podcasts which I keep meaning to try

Also one I’ve mentioned before, Shedunnit show about crime fiction, I’d like to find more book club type podcasts, I sometimes listen to Backlisted but it’s a bit hit & miss, and not much use if you haven’t read the book

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 am

I forgot about Honey and Co, I listened to an episode with a food journalist earlier in the week.

I will definitely check out the others you mention Sue, thanks.

I also like Stuff you should know, and I dip in and out of the Sheer luxe podcast. However, I do sometimes find the women in the latter a bit annoying :stfu and it can be overly London centric.

Some of the Ted Talks daily are interesting and I like that lots of them are very short so I can squeeze one in if time is short.

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:25 am

we listen to ted talks, too.
not food related but very amusing - we listened to david mitchell's podcasts a good number of years ago - i think we had listened to them all, then, so don't know if he's made any more in the last few years.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:52 pm

I will definitely check out the David Mitchell podcasts, thanks Scullion

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:13 pm

I like James O’Brien from LBC but then he does my politics so not for all. Rev Richard Coles has done some nice ones.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:50 pm

Going back to foodie pods, when I checked my podcast subscriptions the BBC Good Food podcast came up as a recommendation- it’s related to the magazine so on podcast apps not on Sounds

The latest episode features the ubiquitous Mr Kerridge, I haven’t listened yet

Women’s Hour is a good one on podcast as you can skip the episodes or items that don’t appeal, will be interesting to see who takes over next year

Postby Kacey » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm

I think Emma Barnett is taking on Womans Hour. I've quite enjoyed her 5 Live programme whilst I've been working from home. Must admit I don't tend to bother too much with Womans Hour, perhaps I've been unlucky with the episodes, they always seem middle class and 'children' heavy.

Postby Placitasgirl1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 pm

I've recently discovered and have been listening to the Desert Island Dishes podcasts on Spotify whilst out running.

These aren't "new" recordings; the most recent is from October 2019 and they go back to 2017. I haven't listened to all of them and have never heard of some of the guests (too middle aged to know some of these "influencers") but have enjoyed many of those I've listened to (Monica Galleti, Jason Atherton, Nadiya Hussain, The Hairy Bikers, Prue Leith, Felicity Cloake, Joe Wickes). Others I've enjoyed less (Rachel Khoo, Ainsley, Tom Kerridge) but they might appeal more to some.

I do find the host a bit "fawning" and she does grate on me a bit (personal taste of course) but the format of asking guests what was the first dish they learned to cook, their favourite sandwich, the best meal they've ever eaten and what their last meal before being cast off to the desert island would be is fun and an easy listen during a 5k run.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox