Register

Ocado/M&S online deliveries

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ocado/M&S online deliveries

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:19 pm

I wouldn’t use Morrison’s if it wasn’t 400m away, but it might be handy that so much of their produce is British in the next few weeks. The point also being, Pampy, that my large, London, branch often doesn’t have nationally advertised offers. They recently advertised Tanqueray gin, but they haven’t had any for so long the girl on the counter had never heard of it

I had my More card taken with the others, it’s registered online, so I went on the web site and it said try our NEW phone app, so I deleted the old one I could never operate (and complained to them about poor accessibility. at least 2 years ago) and downloaded- the same ruddy app which is still running the obsolete version of reCAPTCHA that even the developers now admit had inadequate tools for use by the visually impaired (the audio has never worked in this app). So I went back to the web, changed my password (which booted me into deliveries, had to find my way back to cards) and ordered a new plastic card. All this took a few minutes less than hour, after I’d been thrown out of a dozen illogical and illegible screens, by which time I was in a complete rage

Replacing my bank card was a doddle - took less than 3 minutes, turned up in the next Track 48 delivery possible :clap

Will try sorting my Boots Advantage Card at some point

Postby Linnet » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 pm

I went to Sainsburys earlier today, a very large one a few miles away rather than the smaller local one I usually use, hoping that the stocks might be a bit better. There was hardly any fresh veg except carrots, most of what fruit there was looked as though it had been there for weeks, no cream and very little yoghurt. Problems with deliveries already? (But they did have decent bananas for once!)

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:43 pm

My only experience with Morrison's was that they canned my first order about an hour before it was due to arrive. I thought my bank might have pulled it as another big amount that month but no it was Morrisons who said they didn't believe I was who I was or that I lived where I live, the delivery address. My recourse was to to send them my passport to prove my identity. Are they for real?

Hopefully others have had a better service. I'll stick with my tried and tested ones for this area. Is anyone an Amazon Fresh user yet? I haven't tried, although do buy jar/tinned food occasionally via normal site which can sometimes be a lot cheaper for multiples of cupboard items.

Pampy, Morrisons' delaying substantial refunds is a cheek. AFAIK, an amount is reserved, but not passed until delivery or other activator. If true, the full amount should not be passed if missing items s/be excluded first. Good wheeze if you can get away with it? I'd complain. As you say, money unspent might be needed immediately so it's just plain wrong.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm

I think it’s worth remembering that yesterday was the first full working day after Christmas and it’s not exactly been good weather for either harvesting of distributing fresh produce

As far as I recall the first few days of the new year have always been rubbish for buying veg

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Plus people might have enough in the freezer not to want to buy more veg, especially from local shops with the temp having turned icy cold so why bother to replenish stock? I've no idea if Dover delays might have exacerbated this year's offerings.

That said, I had a delivery on 30 Dec and all veg was fresh (Tesco). Luck maybe, though with online, consistency is what gets repeat custom. Ocado slots have been much harder to get, so with lockdown, book ahead.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Seeing this thread I thought I would look to see if Ocado have Seville oranges. They were selling Natoora ones, but with an 89p price hike on the already expensive Natoora price.

Absolutely no chance of an Ocado delivery even if I wanted one!

Postby Pampy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:20 pm

I tried to get an Ocado delivery last night - no chance! But I had a look again today "just in case" and was able to book one for next Wednesday.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:21 pm

We had an Ocado delivery this morning. Only one item missing (rump steak, not exactly a crucial staple) and no subs., I was a happy shopper this time.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:08 pm

Well, my Sainsbury's order isn't here yet. On the saver slots they texted me to say it would be arriving between 14.58 and 15.58 and it's now 16.08 and no sign of it ...

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:36 pm

:crossed it turns up soon KC2.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:33 pm

I rang them up and they were unable to help. When they did turn up, I said something to the driver and he said that he had told them to let people know he was going to be late because apparently he left an hour late. He was very apologetic - I did make it clear to him that I wasn't blaming him and he appreciated that. Maybe some people are really nasty to them if the poor driver is late, through no fault of their own.

A bit of a mixed bag. I'd asked for 3 Bramleys as I thought they'd probably be quite big, and a kilo and a half of bananas - I got three of the smallest Bramleys I've ever seen! Smaller even than the ordinary apples! And 5 bananas that didn't weigh anything like one and a half kilos ...

I accepted the subs - I had ordered 2 packs of frozen Patagonian scallops at £5 each, but they sent 2 of the Taste the Difference large Canadian scallops at £7.50 each, but since Asda were unable to provide any last week I thought I'd better keep them while they were there! Maybe there's a shortage or something. They also sent a packet of their own Snack Crackers instead of cream crackers. I was tempted to send those back but decided I'd regret it if I did! Thinking about the snack thread Gill started, I do really like snacking on plain or salted crackers, better for you than biscuits or cake.

No courgettes or wholemeal flour. But our Little Waitrose usually has flour so I'll ask OH to get some when he goes on Sunday for the paper.

Postby dennispc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Sainsbury’s delivery is working well for us, have slots booked for 20th and 27th, though no later dates.

On line ordering allows choice of accepting substitutions or no. Email is sent on the morning of delivery, listing substitutions made and anything close to BB date. This morning’s driver checked that we were happy to take one item with BB tomorrow. Took it back without any problem.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 pm

As luck would have it, our local Aldi shut (a new one will open next Summer) and at the same time, I saw an ad for Tesco delivery saver. I've not been one for online shopping recently, but decided to take it. I am so glad I did.

I can book slots 4 weeks in advance and, as I'm in the vulnerable group, it's been a godsend. I've not been inside a supermarket since 18 December.
They suspended new sign-ups not long after.

One of my better decisions. I have to say it was never my supermarket of choice, but so far, it hasn't let me down.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm

It seems cheaper than Sainsbury's. We got a lot more food for our Tesco click and collect shop than we would have for the same price elsewhere. Mind you only one box of cat food was bought.

I've not been in a big Supermarket for at least 6 weeks, now, I think. I did go to M&S to pick up a Christmas food order on the 24th.

OH has been to Sainsbury's twice since then and he says it's almost deserted.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:32 pm

I have to say it was never my supermarket of choice, but so far, it hasn't let me down.

Absolutely agree. They've been excellent. Mrs B has been shielding as a transplant patient, I haven't been into a big supermarket since March. (ETA that's a fib, forgot that I popped into the Tesco in Hertford in August as we used their car park when we went to the FM. It was busy and I left very quickly)

We'll very likely keep getting deliveries of the basics whatever happens in future, but continue to use our butcher, markets, FMs & farm shops for any fresh produce we need. We might go to Waitrose for some things in future as their deliveries have been woeful, but Tesco & Sainsbury have been good. The one time I managed an Ocado slot was successful too.

Tesco does appear to be cheaper than Sainsbury, but delivery is more.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am

I signed up for Tesco recently as an alternative to Sainsbury’s and I found that a few of my regular items were more expensive and that the choice of items was very limited, for example the toilet roll I normally buy was only available in a pack of 24 but I know it’s available in packs of 4 in the shop. I have an order due on the 25th, which was the first available date and I chose the flexi delivery time and that’s £3 compared to Sainsbury’s £1.

The really good thing is that they offer slots further in advance but in my area these are booked up until February. Sainsbury’s on the other hand only show a rolling 7 day period but if I make sure I’m up at midnight to (hopefully) get the date and time I want.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Must say we use Sainsbury's and I much prefer them to Tesco (we used Tesco for some years when still in Reading but became fed up with ridiculous subs and generally poor service). We used Ocado for a while (in the days when they were affilated to Waitrose) and the service was fab but it has to be said it was expensive.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:I signed up for Tesco recently as an alternative to Sainsbury’s and I found that a few of my regular items were more expensive and that the choice of items was very limited, for example the toilet roll I normally buy was only available in a pack of 24 but I know it’s available in packs of 4 in the shop. I have an order due on the 25th, which was the first available date and I chose the flexi delivery time and that’s £3 compared to Sainsbury’s £1.

The really good thing is that they offer slots further in advance but in my area these are booked up until February. Sainsbury’s on the other hand only show a rolling 7 day period but if I make sure I’m up at midnight to (hopefully) get the date and time I want.

Cheers

All through the first lockdown I used Tesco as I recall they were offering free or very cheap delivery (can't remember which) for "shielders". I stopped when they put the price up to minimum of £3.00, as you say, NLB. The Sainsbury's £1 slots are good value. I pay slightly more at Asda (£1.75) but I think on balance I probably save that as most things are less expensive. However, there's nothing like the choice and range and I think I'll probably get into the routine of doing a Sainsbury's order once a month to get the things I can't get at Asda or which are just better.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:25 am

I really can’t fault Sainsbury’s today. My order didn’t arrive and I waited until it was a couple of hours late before contacting them as they advised, the helpline was very busy and I had to hang on for about 10 minutes to speak to someone. As I suspected the snow in Leeds, which was really bad today, meant that they’d cancelled all deliveries. I had an email from them at 4.45 saying my refund had been processed. The email saying that my delivery had been cancelled actually came after the refund had been processed.

I’m not over bothered that it was cancelled as it was only a top up order but I’ll need to go to the shop as I’ll need bread and milk plus a couple of other items but not going until snow clears.

Cheers

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 pm

I had a phone call from the co-op to say that my mother's delivery had been cancelled. I think this came from the delivery people (Deliveroo?) as he said all he know was that when the delivery person arrived at the shop, it was shut. They had not be told. So mixed bag there regarding customer service. Reminds me, I have not had anything in writing from the co-op. I had better make sure I'v been refunded.

Tesco had one sensible sub and one total no show.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox