Register

Ocado/M&S online deliveries

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ocado/M&S online deliveries

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:30 pm

Arghhh, how intensely annoying, Herbi, it must be so unspeakably frustrating being so far away and trying to get such everyday important stuff done ... :newhuggy

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:01 pm

I re-ordered it the next day and they didn't deliver the fresh milk. Fortunately longlife was on the order too. Need to check if they charged me for the first order

They were also worried about leving it outside her door because of vermin so left it in the shed?! I suppose if by vermin they meant foxes, fair enough.
I need to get her a lidded plastic box, but I am sure she will soon revert to getting carers to buy things for her in their free time.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:02 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ZswaEl7mI4

I guess this is why I couldn't get any bananas last week from Asda.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm

What a ghastly mess :evil:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:05 pm

Another reason to be grateful for Brexit - Not :cry: No doubt some Minister will put it down to ‘teething problems’ then promptly forget all about this issue and many others especially the food distribution problems in Northern Ireland :(

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:50 pm

Ocado just sent me an email with this in it: "Our current Low Price Promise scheme involves benchmarking products after your shop is delivered and sending you a voucher for the difference. We want to make it easier for you to find low prices and deliver value in your basket week in, week out, without having to wait for vouchers.
Look out for the red £ icon as you shop to add any of the low-priced items to your trolley. There are hundreds of them to find across the website, including fresh food, cleaning products, frozen and much more. So next time you shop, you can relax knowing you’ll always get great value. "

I guess that will be less work for them/their computers... (and save money). I wasn't actually aware of this policy. I see they do have delivery slots, but i have gone right off them.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:51 pm

I got that email too - my reaction was that it was another way to increase their profits!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:09 pm

It's hard not to make such an assumption...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Has anyone managed to book a Waitrose slot recently?

I was wondering if they release slots at any particular time of day.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:03 pm

Whenever I've looked, there's never one sooner than a week. I just checked now, and in this part of West London there isn't one available until Sunday 14th ...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:11 pm

There are never any slots at all for me. They seem to take them only up to 10 days in advance.

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Apparently Ocado have announced that sales have gone up 40% in the first quarter due to the rise in online sales.

As someone who's never shopped at M&S, more because I've never lived or worked near one, I've found their day-to-day things dear and not as good as elsewhere (I refuse to pay for the luxury stuff).

I thought of not buying at all, but clearly Ocado won't miss my custom! In fairness, I'm still a fan of Ocado itself, but now for more limited buying.

Anyone else changed their buying since Waitrose parted company?

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:41 pm

We still have an Ocado order once or twice a month, as and when we need to. We don't think much of some of the M&S stuff but other things are ok, we've done it long enough to know what not to get! Luckily daughter shops with Waitrose so picks up the few bits of Waitrose stuff we want.

Does anyone know what's going on with Ocado delivery slots? For months we have had a choice of slots when booking but this time we were lucky to get a slot at all, they are filling up as soon as they are coming on-line.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:51 pm

I wonder if the delivery slots filling up quickly could be something to do with the additional people who've been told to shield (and have applied for priority delivery status)? I've actually found it easier to get slots recently (I am a priority case :D ).
I use Ocado a couple of times a month and have recently noticed that their product ranges are shrinking again, even on some M&S items. I preferred it when they were hooked up with Waitrose - I'm not a great fan of a lot of M&S products, particularly the fresh stuff. I was going to give Tesco a try again but have now decided against that since I found that they were charging more for priority delivery than for "normal" delivery slots.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 pm

In this house, we can get Ocado slots up to a few days in advance, Sainsbury a week in advance and Tesco three weeks, but they all fill up reasonably quickly. I would have preferred that Ocado had stuck with Waitrose. This is for the dual reasons of accessibility and competence; we can walk to M&S but the local Waitrose shut and its proposed replacement was refused planning permission, on the other hand Ocado seem to know what they're doing whereas Waitrose online have been woeful. Tesco have been the best at organising and delivery. It's slightly annoying that their standard slots are now £4.50 and that shielders like Mrs B have to pay the standard rate along with everyone else, but saver slots are sometimes available and we're not banned from booking them if they are.

Our usual strategy is to book Tesco slots every 10 days, two open over each three week period, which for the bulk of our deliveries, then slip in a Sainsbury one every third or fourth, and Ocado occasionally. If we can secure one of the others, the following Tesco one is then moved on three weeks

Postby Kacey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:19 pm

I've used Ocado since May '08! Mostly because they were the best re subs & missing items, it hardly ever happened. Must admit I've had to alternate with Waitrose recently as I'm not keen on the M&S tie in either. Hate their soya milk! Had a Waitrose delivery an hour ago, and I'm really annoyed that the missing items was the soya milk!

I've tried Morrisons but their fresh stuff isn't good at all so I kicked them into touch. Tried Tesco a few weeks ago and they weren't bad, as long as you specify no subs.

I think they're all struggling at the moment.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Pampy, I sympathise with you re Tesco "vulnerable" slots. I haven't tried Ocado and have never managed to get a Waitrose slot when I need it.

First lockdown I used Tesco as they were very reasonable for delivery for shielding people. When they put their prices up to £4.50 - actually, I think I might even have to pay £5.50 because it comes from a fulfilment centre instead of an actual supermarket - I swapped to Asda. They give you a free Delivery Pass if you're shielding. I have booked a regular recurring delivery on the same day at the same time each week and usually pay £1.75. It's easy to skip one and from time to time I do a Sainsbury's, where it's possible to pay £1.00 or nothing, if you book very early or very late.
The problem with Asda is that the choice is not as good as with Tesco or Sainsbury, on the other hand, most things are less expensive and so I think I probably save money, at least, on the things they stock!

You just have to be prepared for limited options (so I do a Sainsbury's from time to time to stock up on certain things Asda doesn't do).

The good thing about their subs is that if they cost more than what you ordered, they only charge you the price of the original item. Eg, I once bought Asda large eggs that should have been £1.79 a doz. They only had more expensive Hoads that cost significantly more but instead of charging me the full amount and giving me a credit for the difference, which is what Sainsbury's does, they gave me the more expensive eggs at the same price.

They also have a "list" facility so you can add things during the week and then add them all together when you do the final order. I don't know if any of the others do that or not, but it is very useful and saves doing the whole checkout thing each time you want to add something.

Also they will always give you a full refund if you complain about something either being poor quality or simply not turning up, as has happened a few times.

There are also quite a lot of household things etc you can get at the same time - I've got candles and a very decent vase. Again, I don't know if you can do that with the others as I haven't tried.

OH always goes to our local Little Waitrose on a Sunday morning so we get things they stock that often cost more, but then we get the "free" Sunday paper so it kind of evens out!

It's scarey how obsessed I get with the online shop (as this rather embarrassingly long post demonstrates :oops: :lol: )

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:53 pm

I also get obsessed with online shopping KC2!
The Asda free delivery is very generous but I have serious problems with quality and use-by dates on my orders that come from the local store so don't use it. I had similar issues with the one click and collect order that I did. If you're trying to shop for a week or more, it's no use if use-by dates on things like poultry and fish are within a couple of days of receiving the order. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the store that my orders come from rather than a more general issue because the Asda near my sister's always has much better quality. I've had similar problems with Sainsbury's too. The orders come from a store quite a distance away and on the couple of occasions that I've had an order, a lot of things are very close to use-by dates - I even had some items that were past their dates! I suspect that some stores see online and click and collect orders as a way to get rid of less than fresh food.

Postby Lokelani » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:29 pm

I've used Ocado for donkey's years. I like them for longer dates & less subs, I do however hate the way they don't price match substitutions. You can't have it all though!

I have to say I agree with the others about preferring the Waitrose years to the M&S ones, now it's had time to bed in.

I've not found the fruit, veg & herbs as large, nor as fresh, a lot of them just don't last as long.

Stock availability can be dire. I was happy to see a few of the M&S things I would go to their stores for, but they're now no longer stocked!

I'm desperately trying to think of a few gains in cost or M&S products I prefer to Waitrose, but I don't think I can. I've actually started buying Ocado own brand things, rather than M&S in many products instead.

When this is all over & slot availability is good I'll probably treat us to a Waitrose delivery once every couple of months. I can then stock up on the favourites that we miss.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:39 pm

Pampy wrote:I also get obsessed with online shopping KC2!

Glad it's not just me, Pampy!

We haven't had problems with short dates (yet ...!), just quality from time to time, and last shop there were 11 eggs in the see-through box :lol: And they didn't deliver the peppers I'd ordered and paid for.
But full refunds in a couple of days, no questions or quibbles.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox