Register

Ocado/M&S online deliveries

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ocado/M&S online deliveries

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Herbi, I know you're working from home but if there's any way you can get to supermarkets in the early afternoon mid-week I find that they are much quieter round here and therefore feel safer.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 am

I had never bought anything online before the virus because I like to look and try on clothes before I buy but needs must......

I have started getting groceries online and I get them from Sainsbury’s and in the main I’ve found them quite good and reasonable delivery charge, I’ve never paid more than £2 and the last 3 deliveries were only 50p, all deliveries have been between 11.00 and 2.00.

I’ve had a few substitutions and so far I’ve been happy with those and if an item was more expensive I’ve been given a voucher for the difference which I deduct from my next order.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 am

Oh well, the Ocado order turned up on time, exactly as per the receipt. There was one thing unavailable and one other sensible substitution.

There were one or two things we buy from M&S (thanks to Amyw for the recommendation of pickled red onions), some branded items we like, other things that had been unobtainable elsewhere, plus some stuff I just fancied trying.

They seem to me to charge a similar amount to the other supermarkets for branded goods but of course Tesco & Sainsbury will have own brand versions for considerably lower prices.

I think we'll keep ordering stuff online, mostly from Tesco & Sainsbury, but use Ocado for occasional treats. There are things we buy from Waitrose and Asda, we might give Waitrose another go one day, or just pop into their shops when appropriate.

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 am

Everyone's experience of the various online grocery retailers will differ, I'm sure.
Sainsbury's has had 3 chances with me - each time they sent out of date food - I know the order came from a supermarket rather than a "fulfilment centre" and I think they were trying to reduce their wastage (and hence maintain profit margins) by getting rid of out of date stuff on online customers. (Have never seen a £60 minimum shop for Sainsbury's - has always been £40 where I live.)
I've had 1 delivery and 1 click & collect from Asda - click & collect had a lot of short dated items (probably for the same reason as Sainsbugs) and the delivery had quite a number of odd subs.
Tesco pickers and packers are dreadful - and when I see young boys/men/girls picking orders in the store, I can see why - most have probably never shopped for themselves and certainly aren't expending much brain power while they grab things from the shelves.
Waitrose used to be good but the 1 order I've had during lockdown had a number of fresh items that didn't last as long as they should.
Abel & Cole - ditto W'rose
Ocado - pre-Covid, I always rated them very highly but during lockdown, freshness seems to have reduced on some items. It's always been the best as far as subs. are concerned - I've rarely had any.
Morrisons - never tried them.
I'm now doing the majority of my shopping myself, in Booth's - they have the very best safety measures in place and I've not come across a customer that hasn't respected all of the safety guidelines. It's more expensive to shop there but the food is excellent quality and they stock quite a number of harder to get items. I bought some potatoes today that had been harvested in the early hours of this morning - they were wonderful!

Postby Seatallan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 am

Pampy, I love Booths. Our local one is fantastic. As you say, it is a little more expensive but the quality is spot on (and they source locally). Easily the best supermarket in my opinion.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:04 am

Booths is easily the best supermarket! Ours is 20 minutes drive away unfortunately so I only get to go in once a month or so when we’re passing that way.

I’ve not tried M&S/Ocado yet. We use Tesco and Sainsbury’s deliveries occasionally and they’re mostly ok.

I’ve found Abel and Cole has gone down hill over this last 6 months or so, there seems less in the box and I’m not convinced it’s as good. We tried a local veg box scheme which charges £4 less per box and has quite a bit more in it. They also include free extra seasonal foraged extras when they can. I might use them most weeks and Abel and Cole once a month as we like the butter and yoghurts and one or two other items from there.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:06 am

It's interesting you had the same experience as me with Waitrose, Pampy. I did wonder if maybe the van's fridge had broken down the first time. Last time I tried to get an earlier delivery so I knew that stuff hadn’t been travelling all day.

EM I do try to go to the supermarket mid-week in the afternoon, but am dependent on husband to take me.

He has been going quite a lot for wine... :? :o ! I do keep saying we he shouldn't keep going but plan ahead. I suspect he is doing it partly for a break from work - he is pretty much doing 14 hour days at the moment. At least the infection rate in these parts is pretty low, according to the Guardian by bor-ough map. But, as I have said before, shoppers are not careful with social distancing or masks.

We will need to go over the weekend. We intend to take a box of food up north with us. My mother might want some bits too but I am determined not to do a shop for her in Sheffield. We just won't have time.... she would happily let us use what little time we have to visit her doing this though :( (Not to mention gardening and other stuff round the house.)

I was sent a feedback questionnaire from Waitrose. I shall enjoy filling it in :twisted:

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:18 pm

The locally sourced food from Booth's is another reason that I like it. I think all the veg and salad, and a lot of the fruit that I bought on Wednesday was produced in Lancashire. I live a good 30 minutes drive away from my nearest store but as I'm not time-poor, that isn't a problem for me. Might be a bit less pleasant in bad weather but still worth the journey, I think.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:55 pm

I haven’t been to Booths since the end of February. When we are out of quarantine at the end of the week I think I’ll nip over to Keswick and have a good ‘deekaboot’ as we say in these parts.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm

BBC lunchtime news have a feature on Aldi trialling online deliveries in the Loughborough area.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Renee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm lucky to have two Booths stores near to where I live. One is in the centre of Chorley and the other is in Penwortham. I like that fact that Edwin Booth knows all the farmers and gives them a good deal.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm

I so wish there was a Booth's in my neck of the woods :(

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I've just come back from Booth's - have a bag full of local veg which i can't wait to dive into! This very naughty diabetic treated herself to some salted caramel fudge, which I'm also looking forward to!

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:58 pm

My monthly Ocado delivery arrived yesterday, no substitutes. I am intrigued by the Cushelle toilet roll which was on special offer. It has added coconut oil . . . . . . :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postby Hope » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Ocado have never refunded the difference on subs. but they do email/text you any changes before the delivery, so I always check them out before the delivery arrives and then decide if I want/need them or not. although subs with them are very rare.

I usually alternate between waitrose and sainsburies, with the odd delivery from ocado for a few thigns I buy in bulk from them (like 1kg pumpkin seeds!) I'm not very impressed with the change from waitrose to M&S - their products are more expensive (or you get less in a packet) and hubby said their muesli was awful.

Although this year it's pretty much whichever one I can get a slot with. Was very glad when I was put on the shielding list so I could actually get use deliveries. reminds me, I must book the delivery for 3 weeks time!

Oh and that's the ohter thing - you need to book so far in advance now!

Pepper pig - toilet roll with coconut oil?! Why does everyone think coconut oil is so good for your skin? I hate it. It's a high comedogenic oil, which means it blocks pores and makes you more prone to spots or eczema (or both as my face does when I use it!)

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 pm

You're lucky to get loo paper at all round here at the moment! Interested to see people saying on our local FB page this week that Waitrose deliveries have been chaotic with many arriving much later than booked with no explanation and customer service on the phone having no idea where they were and not being very empathetic. Not good for a firm that's struggling a bit anyway.

Postby miss mouse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:You're lucky to get loo paper at all round here at the moment!

That is Christmas sorted, festively wrapped loo paper for all.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm

are Waitorise gettign more hom ddleivery orders because Ocado have stopped selling their stuff? But as have said, they've been a bit rubbish all along.

I have just sent husband to the supermakret. I had a long list, but didn't feel like going so late - plus too hungry. (He is too busy to take me any earlier.) But felt uncomfortable letting him do it, and was pretty sure he would only come back with a fraction of the stuff on it (he agrees) and the rest the wrong stuff (ditto), so paired the list down from about 30 items to 5 :o Something not right here. This means I will have to go at the weekend :(

I am considering going back to home delivery. I find it so stressful though. Althlugh so is going to the supermarket. Somehow I feel more worried about contamination with delivery whih makes no sense at all. But going to the shop sucks all hope for humankind out of me. Will be interesting to see if he spots any loo paper or eggs on sale.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:34 am

Hope wrote:Ocado have never refunded the difference on subs. but they do email/text you any changes before the delivery, so I always check them out before the delivery arrives and then decide if I want/need them or not. although subs with them are very rare.

At the moment, you have to tell the driver if you don't want to accept a substitute before you accept the shopping - they're still not taking products back once you've touched them. As I found out yesterday. I had ordered a bottle of Nuits St Georges - described on the website as being 2012 vintage. When I checked, it wasn't that year. As this was the second time it had happened on a not-cheap bottle of wine, I rang customer services. The agent apologised but said that it couldn't be returned - however, he refunded the cost so I am now £50 better off!

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:37 am

herbidacious wrote: Somehow I feel more worried about contamination with delivery whih makes no sense at all.

I'd imagine that things in the supermarket have been handled far more than those in an online delivery. And far more people have had the opportunity to cough and sneeze over goods in the supermarket.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox