Register

Dough weight?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Dough weight?

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:41 pm

I'm intending to buy a banneton or two to have a go at making free form loaves, but I'm not too sure what size I should get.
Am I right in thinking a 1kg banneton is for 1kg of dough NOT a dough made from 1kg of flour (500g banneton to 500g dough etc.)?

Thank you for any help.

Re: Dough weight?

Postby Suffs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Our usual sourdough loaf made 3 or 4 times a week is made with 500gm flour and 350 ml water ... I use a banneton described as a 500 gm banneton.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:I'm intending to buy a banneton or two to have a go at making free form loaves, but I'm not too sure what size I should get.
Am I right in thinking a 1kg banneton is for 1kg of dough NOT a dough made from 1kg of flour (500g banneton to 500g dough etc.)?

Thank you for any help.

Hi Slimpersoninside - yes, it's always the dough weight.

Flour weight is not usually expressed, only inferred, though water or liquid is, and by percentage/ratio. In bakers lingo the flour in a recipe (or formula if you want to get baker-technical!) is expressed or assumed to be 100% and the water or hydration is a percentage of the flour. It's done so that it's simple to easily scale up or down. And the dough weight tells you the final size of the loaf.

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 pm

this gives a good guide to banneton size for dough weight, along with a sort of buying guide and care.

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 pm

I’ve got a round and an oblong banneton, had reasonable success with them but dough sticking in one place, despite lots of flour, was always a problem. After watching a video, tried a pyrex dish as well. First time fine, second stuck to the cloth. The video is a sourdough one, but the bit about bannetons and pyrex dish starts just before six minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouZYyx ... pp=desktop

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks all. Thought that was the case ZeroCook but really good to have confirmation from such an experienced bread baker.

Having looked at the video linked by Dennis I'm thinking I'll try using a lidded Pyrex dish. I believe baking bread under a dome replicates a proper bread oven reasonably well.

Having now returned to work it'll be a while before I work towards finding my bread making MoJo. Maybe carry on with the bread machine until I retire and then experiment to find what works for us.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox