Register

bread

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: bread

Postby Wic » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:39 pm

Lovely loaf, Sakkarin, do you use the overnight method? I make ours with ¼ tsp of yeast, mix it into the flour etc with a Dutch whisk then leave it on the side to bake in the morning. My recipe says 25 minutes with the lid on and 15 without, which also gets it crispy.

I make one a week and every time I’m surprised and amazed at how well it works!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:49 pm

What temperature do you use when baking in the Dutch oven, and do you heat the casserole before you put the loaf in it?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Sometimes I do, the complete no-knead overnighter. Today's was a Dan Lepardy short knead one. A lot of waiting time in between, but the actual prep time is:

Prepare all ingredients* - 3.5 minutes
3 x 30 second kneads plus set timer - 2 minutes
Final shape and slash - 2 minutes

My aim was to try and match the Lidl sourdough boule in size and crustiness, which I feel I've achieved, although not the sourness! Lidl £1.39, Sakkarin 19p.

* 300g flour, 200g warm water (30 seconds in microwave), 2 tsp fast action yeast, 1 tsp salt

Only 1 tsp yeast/cold water if it's overnight. Also sometimes replace 75g of flour with wholemeal or rye, plus 1 tsp caraway if it's rye.

SUE:
I preheated the casserole for 30 minutes (the recipe said 1 hour), and my oven is dodgy, but is around 200C, maybe sightly hotter. I turned it down a bit halfway through the "lid off" cooking because it had browned quicker than I expected. At the 18 minute stage it looks the colour of one of those "half baked" things you can buy from the supermarket.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:06 pm

I keep meaning to try this recipe in a Dutch Oven
https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/b ... read-loaf/

I’m thinking it might have a bit of ‘sourness’.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:19 pm

I'm quite happy with both "bready" and "sourdoughy" - in fact with a bacon sarnie I think I prefer "bready"! I'm not very good at sourdough.

There's an odd thing I have to note, the quantity of dough I use for this loaf makes 4 rolls for me. For some reason I eat a loaf in 2 "meals" (and heavily slathered with butter) but the rolls last 4, so I tend to make rolls rather than loaves. A loaf is a special splurge treat, maybe once a fortnight. Or week, I haven't kept track...

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:09 pm

That's a good looking loaf there, Sakk.
Never have attempted a dutch oven/casserole bake - does the placing of a formed boule in a heated pot have a tad accident potential to those of us sometimes prone? :D Is there a jist to it?

Suffs wrote:I keep meaning to try this recipe in a Dutch Oven
https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/b ... read-loaf/

I’m thinking it might have a bit of ‘sourness’.

Will have a bit of a sour flavour tho the texture and crust will be standard bread version rather than the crispy leathery crust and type of texture you get with sourdough starter - worth going to the trouble of IMO.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:19 pm

My local convenience store now stocks a pricey but gorgeous sourdough which is very , very sour but has just a tad of malted flour in it to soften it

Just add butter

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm

ZeroCook wrote:...does the placing of a formed boule in a heated pot have a tad accident potential

It is definitely dodgy! I confess I've dug out my oven gloves a few times where I'd normally just use a dishcloth...

Postby aero280 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:07 pm

Today I went to a car show in Sweden. I the cafe next door, they had a temptation... :D

There was a second shelf, not in the photo. :)

IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG (68.4 KiB) Viewed 9862 times

Postby Suffs » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:33 pm

My dentist says he’s getting rich on the legacy of Lockdown Sourdough … I lost all of one tooth and half of another to sourdough crusts! A softer crust is good :thumbsup

When baking a loaf in a pot I place the shaped loaf on a piece of baking paper then lift the paper and the loaf and put them in the hot pot with the paper over the sides … then put the lid on.

When the bread is baked you can lift it out with the paper … safer for your fingers putting it in and taking it out.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:41 pm

That's what I thought could be scary dodgy, Sakk. :o
Kevlar kitchen gloves are a thought ...

That's sensible and very practical, Suffs. Yes.

Need to do a long overdue starter refresh ...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:17 pm

No-knead casserole version this morning!

Prep a couple of minutes less! Took longer to photograph it...

Slightly different crust and taste, slightly more open texture, chewier crust, and it WAS a tiny bit sourdoughish, I guess because of the long overnight proving. I preferred the crunchier Dan Lepard method crust.

EDIT: Afterthought - it's over 25 years since I baked my first proper loaf, but it still gives me a thrill when I take a freshly-baked loaf out of the oven!

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:38 pm

Sakkarin ... can I clarify ... when you leave your dough overnight, is this using half the flour to make a sponge and then adding the other half in the morning ... or do you make the whole amount of dough and leave it in the fridge overnight then do 3 short kneads and prove? Or have I missed something ...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:56 pm

Just before going to bed, combine all ingredients, mix together with fork then knead very briefly so it all comes together. Leave in bowl covered with clingfilm. NOT FRIDGE!

Morning: carefully remove dough, dust bench and loaf very lightly with flour, form into boule (I did it on a circular piece of non-stick plastic as a test), cover with the upturned bowl.

Heat casserole for 30 minutes in oven with lid on. Remove when ready, slash dough and manoeuvre it into the casserole, replace lid.

Cook 18 minutes, remove lid, then cook till it's how you want it, in my case an additional 25 minutes.

EDIT: THE OTHER LOAF WAS MADE THE DAN LEPARD WAY.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Thank you Sakks. I may well give that a try :D

Postby Wic » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:29 pm

What do you use to get that pattern on the loaf, sakkarin?

I do it slightly differently, for much the same result. In the evening I mix the flour, yeast etc together in a bowl using a Danish Whisk, but a wooden spoon also works. You just need a shaggy dough, which you cover and leave on the kitchen side overnight. In the morning put the Dutch oven - mine is aluminium - into the actual oven and turn the heat up to maximum. Then tip the dough onto a board. I shape it with three folds and put it in a Banneton, then, when the oven is up to temperature upturn the Banneton into the Dutch oven, slash the top and and bake for 25minutes with the lid on and 17minutes with the lid off. And, as Sakkarin says, it’s magic every time!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:40 pm

I've got absolutely no idea where that pattern came from! I did notice it myself!

I have a theory that once you've mastered breadmaking it's hard to go wrong, it's so forgiving (I had 25 years of making doorstops and bricks out of my bread dough before I sussed it). I do adapt my method in the winter though, forcing the proving by warming the bowl over another bowl with hot water in it. Same if I'm in a hurry, my supercharged method gives me a loaf in 2 hours.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a banneton to get that pretty ridged shape...

It sounds as if your dough is probably more hydrated than mine. I should experiment more with that - at the other extreme I've made a few successful ciabatta with a really wet dough, but can't say I've mastered it as I've not found a foolproof method yet.

Postby Wic » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:53 pm

It is quite a wet dough, more so that I’d ever used before, it’s 1/4tsp yeast, 500g of any flour you like and 375ml water, and in the morning it looks like a bowl full of wet porridge. When I first made it I couldn’t believe it would work. I almost didn’t and was going to make it the conventional way, but decided to bite the bullet and try it. Really pleased I did!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:03 pm

The banetton sounds like a plan for handling the dough :thumbsup

As does the aluminium Dutch oven, I’ve always fancied getting one of those, and I assume aluminium will come up to temperature with the oven, in a way ceramic might not

Postby aero280 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm

When the weather is cold, I put the bowl next to a radiator to prove. A bit of cardboard between the bowl and radiator stops it getting too hot. Sometimes I put the bowl on a window sill above a radiator, but OH complains that, if I forget and the bowl overflows, the curtains get messy!! :shock: :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox