Register

bread

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: bread

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Zosh, as they say, it is very similar to soda bread. That in turn, is the same family as a scone mix. Very nice but is crumblier than yeast bread, doesn't really toast and IMO should be eaten on the day it is baked.

You can make things like waffles and flatbreads from SR too.

Dennis, your loaf looks wonderful.

Postby Suelle » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 pm

halfateabag wrote:Some nice looking loaves out there and some good tips - thanks

I have a plethora of SR flour at the moment...................

I use SR flour and yogurt to make quick flatbreads. Google for more information or see my blog post:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2020/ ... reads.html

The basic recipe is very versatile - I flavour them appropriately to make naan (nan?) bread or the dough can be used for wraps if it's rolled thinly enough; use for pizza bases too.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby halfateabag » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Many thanks girls.... :thumbsup

Postby dennispc » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Interesting no yeast bread.

One of the family has been given a jar sourdough starter. I sent her the link to the thread started by Suffs.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 am

Perfectly risen bread there, Dennis. :D

Not mad about no yeast bread. I use both baking powder and yeast for naan. Produces a great result. Don't see why using half the flour quantity as SR flour wouldn't work, too.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:39 am

My usual Doves Quick Yeast was unavailable at the supermarket this week so OH came back with Allinsons Easy Bake ... the blurb says it can be used in any recipe asking for 'Quick Yeast'.

I've not used any other brands than Doves for years ... does anyone have any comparative experiences with these two ... any hints or tips?

My usual recipe is

300 gms strong white flour
200 gms wholemeal bread flour ... both flours locally produced

I tspn fine seasalt
8gms Doves Quick Yeast
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

325 mls tepid water

Knead for about 10 mins (Kenwood) then prove for an hour and bake for about 35 mins.

Postby scullion » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:47 am

we use the (green) tins of allinsons. it works well for us. i haven't used dove's for years so i can't really give you a comparison. we also use the stuff from the zero waste van. no complaints there, either. they may all be produced by the same place anyway.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:23 pm

I suspect that the brands of quick / instant / fast action freeze dried yeast sold by the flour millers are all made for them by one of the giant firms that make it for commercial use - this was mentioned a few times in discussions of Fermipan yeast when usual retail packs weren't available in lockdown

According to Elizabeth David's Bread book, when first introduced it was all made by Fermipan whatever it said on the package, and I doubt that has changed much, though there might be other bulk manufacturers now

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 pm

I think there is a difference between 'dried', 'quick' and 'instant' yeast ?
I always buy the sachets of 'instant' yeast as recommended for bread machines - no particular brand and recall someone (Aero ?) saying that 'instant' yeast contains citric acid ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:50 pm

Yes, "active dried yeast" - which has been available for a very long time is the stuff that is granular, looks like little beige beads and is best woken up by adding it to liquid

Instant / fast acting / rapid/ freeze dried is the powdery stuff you add to the flour, rather like baking powder

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm

So which category does 'quick' yeast fall in ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:59 pm

Quick = fast I think, but if it is powdery and the instructions say to add it to the flour then it's the instant one on the left in the picture

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Quick = fast I think, but if it is powdery and the instructions say to add it to the flour then it's the instant one on the left in the picture

:thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:09 pm

I don't make yeast goods very often but have found that varying types of packeted dried yeasts usually suggest a ratio of yeast to flour. I'd check what it says to ensure that it's within a reasonable comparison to what you usually add.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:51 pm

The pack/tin just says it can be used in any recipe calling for Quick Yeast … I can’t see any flour:yeast ratio on there … even with my glasses on :lol:

I’ll need to start to use it for our bread by next week … think Ill simply swap like for like and see what happens … thanks folks :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:38 pm

I think I said that dried yeast of the granular type contained Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), not Citric. If it does, it will be listed on the packet.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:22 am

Quick yeast, instant yeast - same thing. For the most part, all quick/instant yeast is pretty similar tho there are different versions of SAF instant yeast for e.g. depending on what type of dough. Some rich doughs benefit from a bit more oomph. Generally tho you'll usually just come across the standard sort.

I like to sprinkle instant yeast in with the liquid then mix to dissolve with a wire whisk after a minute or two. Just ensures it's all mixed in evenly.

There's no fixed instant yeast to flour ratio but a teaspoon per 400g flour is pretty standard for standard or common breads like Dan Lepard's white loaf
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy ... read_37005

Also worth mentioning is autolyse (mixing the dough and sitting initially for 20 + minutes to allow full hydration) which makes long kneading redundant. Short kneads and 'folding' are plenty.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:01 am

I usually use sachets, but at the mo am part way through a tub of Allinson’s easy bake. Both are used at the same rate, 1tsp per loaf. They lose their oomph quite quickly so the sachets are used promptly and the tub is kept in the freezer.

Both seem to be yeast plus additives such as ascorbic acid and emulsifier.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:25 pm

My favourite loaf these days is one I cook in my fake dutch oven (earthenware casserole from Asda, I think I paid a fiver for it). Here's this morning's, just waiting for my bacon to defrost (I buy two-packs from Lidl and freeze one, forgot to take it out in advance) to make a bacon sarnie.

It cooks for 18 minutes closed, then 30 minutes with the lid off. The crispier you want it, the longer you leave it for the open cooking, the original recipe said 45 minutes to an hour, 30 minutes does me fine.

Dried yeasts: *my understanding is that the granular one (dried active) has to be activated with warm water (separately), the powdered one (easy bake/fast action/quick) can be added direct (and even with cold water for overnight no-knead bread, as I've done many times). Very confusing names they all have.

*Pretty much what Stokey said.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:03 pm

I have to say, that bread looks wonderful! :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox