Register

Appetite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Appetite

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 pm

I have always eaten a lot, always loved my food, always cooked, always eaten out. I am now 67 and I find that eating the amount I used to now defeats me (although I am still fat). This isn’t sudden but has crept up.

Some of the meals you all post seem so lovely but would do me for a couple of days. If I eat out then a starter and a dessert is enough although I love the small plates places.

It seems to be another symptom of growing old. I only seem to have cricket watching left, so many things have fallen by the wayside.

Also, and I mustn’t start another topic, my OH was doing really well on Wiltshire Farm Foods as recommended on WF. Either they aren’t coping well with Covid or they have gone seriously AWOL. The last batch was terrible.

Re: Appetite

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 pm

I see that "Jane Plan" ready meals are advertising on TV again lately. I was dubious about the value for money of these when first checking the exact quantities ages ago although some thread posters assured me that they were quite good. Might be worth a look if current supplier is off its game as Jane Plan food itself looks OK.

Petronius (Dennis) was happy with Hello Fresh, which really do look good if you peruse their site. You cook the all-inclusive ingredients yourself, though unusually with virtually no cupboard items except S&P and water, and a menu change each week.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "appetite" as it depends on hunger, activity level, metabolism etc. I eat when hungry, which is rarely according to the clock's timetable.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:55 pm

Well I'm 83 and have had to change my eating habits over the years. No more roast meals with lots of roast potatoes! I have been following Michael Mosley. I have his books for the Fast 800 Diet and the recipe book and managed to lost 3 1/2 kilos. I didn't count calories however and managed to go until about 11:30 before having breakfast, which was sometimes a two egg omelet with mushrooms and tomatoes. The evening meal was low carb. Now I'm just having two days on the diet and five days eating normally but healthily. I don't eat bread now nor anything sweet. A woman at the gym changed out of all recognition by going on the 5:2 Diet.

I'm sorry to hear about Wiltshire Farm Foods, PP, because I used to get those for my mum. I do suspect that it was just one bad batch, because I've just checked recent reviews and people are still happy with them. It might be an idea to speak to them to find out what was happening, because it would be a shame to stop using them.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.wi ... mfoods.com

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 am

Sad about WFF if that's the shape of things to come. I bought a large box of Parsley Fresh instant meals (that don't have to go in a fridge or freezer) just before the start of lockdown. They keep for a long time and I thought they'd be handy if I couldn't go shopping. I had tried some before when staying with someone and what I had there seemed reasonable. Well, some of the choices in my box were really revolting. They seemed so hit and miss I would think twice before buying any more even though they are useful to have as a standby.

I certainly can't eat as much in one sitting as I could some years ago but I wouldn't say I've lost my appetite and feel sure that I could manage a leisurely 3 course meal if the portions weren't huge. I have changed my diet quite considerably but am still fat and still can't resist cake, bread and chips if they are offered (I mainly abstain at home and haven't eaten anywhere else for months).

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:19 am

My appetite has reduced a lot
I eat smaller portions - 1 scoop of raw rice is now easily 3 portions formerly 2 for example. I don’t low carb as such, but they are largely what’s gone as I can’t eat a portion of a protein and some veg or salad and then need to fill up on starches.

The other thing is that throughout my childhood I was made to eat 3 square meals a day, and thereafter I’d get hungry just because it was a mealtime. I was very sceptical of people who claimed they wouldn’t want supper because they’d had a big lunch, I knew I’d be ready to eat
because it was supper time. That’s gone. I seldom skip a meal completely, but it might only be an apple

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:51 am

I remember my first year at university. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, a few beers, then down the Iffley road for a curry or a Chinese. Not every day, but fairly often.
These days I make sure I have breakfast, even if I´m not hungry. Lunch seems to get later and later (today was 4pm), and I either nibble on a biscuit or avoid food altogether in the evening.
Damn! And we berate my poor mum (she´s 92) because she doesn´t want to eat...

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:23 am

Same age as mine KK. For at least ten years she has ordered children’s portions where available in pubs/restaurants.

Yes Renee. I will speak to WFF. They are a friendly lot and it could well have been a rogue batch. OH has maybe one a week when I need a break from cooking and eating his boring repertoire.

And yes. My eating times have changed too.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 am

Stokey Sue wrote:knew I’d be ready to eat
because it was supper time. That’s gone

That is ingrained in me too and I find it quite hard to shake off sometimes. I do forget to have lunch if I'm busy and then suddenly feel very hungry mid to late afternoon. My ideal is breakfast at about 10 and another meal at about 4pm with a snack much later. One can do that on one's own but not socially. Recently I did a few weeks of trying to retrain eating habits with my local fitness studio. The idea is to eat small amounts of 'healthy' foods often to avoid peaks and troughs in blood sugar levels. Quite good actually, I felt as though I was constantly eating and realised where my weaknesses were (I e. forgetting to eat when I'm busy and always wanting to eat late at night).

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm

I’ve been in Renee’s 83 club for a few months now but feel I’ve been eating less for about twenty years. Alcohol is almost non existent though keep liquid intake (water) high.

Reduced weight through lockdown by stopping processed sugar, reducing potatoes and bread, though have upped it recently, because of feeling cold.

Hello Fresh I’d recommend to anyone, every so often we had a week without for a change. As well as s&p and water, most recipes have olive oil which is not included. We enjoyed having to follow new recipes and particularly using different spices, herbs and sauces.

We’ve had six months of meals cooked from fresh without processed foods or pub lunches, which makes OH’s recent problem a bit of a puzzle. Most cooked meals involved a drizzle of olive oil, which is part of a normal diet, but maybe it was too much.

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Dennis ... it may possibly be relevant that my friend's gall bladder problems started approx 9 months after he gave up alcohol after the two of them having got through a bottle of wine most evenings for 20+ years.

Postby aero280 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Gall stones are often caused by weigh loss. Most of the fat stored in the liver is excreted too fast for the gall bladder to deal with it. I thought that I was going slowly enough, but apparently not.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Hopefully you don't store fat in your liver - what it does is process all the gunk that's released when you lose a lot of stored fat form elsewhere

Fatty liver is a serious condition that occurs in various conditions, including advanced alcoholism

Postby miss mouse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Fatty liver is a serious condition that occurs in various conditions, including advanced alcoholism

And also in tea-totallers.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 pm

I don't eat a lot. I think I must have a really slow metabolism/not adequately medicated hypothyroidism. I could not comfortably manage a three course meal any more, and when eating out these days usually can't manage more than just a main, or a starter and a dessert.

I am astounded at the portions of food wolfed down by my young colleagues. Did I ever eat that much? I suspect not. Mind you I was rather underweight for most of my twenties.

I tried Hello Fresh a few years back, but it seemed quite carb heavy. All the vegetarian meals seemed to involve rice (which I am not a fan of anyway) and were not very varied, but maybe this is because I didn't have it every week. At the time it was just me, so I couldn't get through a weekly delivery. It also felt wrong to have all those tiny amounts of ingredients individually packaged up in plastic. Maybe they've changed this now?

Fatty Liver is reversible, at least... It's the first stage of liver damage, though, that can lead to hepatitis and then cirrhosis, the latter being progressive although possible to slow down. It's these second too that are more commenly associated with advanced alcoholism, as opposed to heavy drinking. However people's bodies do react differently to alcohol.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 pm

herbidacious wrote:
Fatty Liver is reversible, at least... It's the first stage of liver damage, though, that can lead to hepatitis and then cirrhosis, the latter being progressive although possible to slow down. It's these second too that are more commenly associated with advanced alcoholism, as opposed to heavy drinking. However people's bodies do react differently to alcohol.

It is perfectly possible to have fatty liver disease as a tea-totaller. Some people inherit awful genes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 am

There are many causes of fatty liver

I mentioned alcohol as one most people would have heard of - the point being that it’s not normal to store fat in the liver where energy is stored as glycogen (carbohydrate)

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:30 am

… gall bladder problems started approx 9 months after he gave up alcohol …

Gall stones are often caused by weigh loss.

Mmmm, thank you, … interesting … because, OH has lost a stone in the last six months and stopped alcohol …

But then, I lost 21lbs in the same period and stopped alcohol because of clash with medication. And, so far, I’m fine. :crossed

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:21 am

herbidacious wrote:I tried Hello Fresh a few years back, but it seemed quite carb heavy. All the vegetarian meals seemed to involve rice (which I am not a fan of anyway) and were not very varied, but maybe this is because I didn't have it every week. At the time it was just me, so I couldn't get through a weekly delivery. It also felt wrong to have all those tiny amounts of ingredients individually packaged up in plastic. Maybe they've changed this now?

Daughter and I have been enjoying Hello Fresh for the last couple of weeks .. You can start off with a free week, but then get inundated with emails ... Daughter got her free week, I chose mine the following week, it arrived, but then I discovered I had been charged for it, but that's another story. However we have enjoyed the meal choices .. Daughter goes for the Speedy menu, I went for Classic .. There is always carbs though (shame they don't offer a 'diet' choice too) The meals for 2 are more than enough and certainly gives you tastes/variety you many not have thought about. I have had 2 veggie meals ... yesterday it was BNS and green bean curry (made that, but not bothered with the rice) and last week it was chick pea pakoras with salad - there was more, but took the whole shebang to my sister's to share that and a lamb and aubergine curry with them ..

edited to add: Yes, still lots of little pots and sachets .. :roll: :( The plus side is, very good for someone not confident about cooking different menus - you get the recipe cards with all ingredients listed :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:52 pm

No sign of her going back to her flat yet then Pat?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:No sign of her going back to her flat yet then Pat?

Errrr ... no :( :roll: :evil: ... It's been a year now :roll: :shock: She still hasn't cleared it of personal effects although that might happen this Saturday, after which I might gain access - who knows :!: :?: :!: :?: Her mind just doesn't work the same as the majority of people ...

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox