Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:45 am

I'm puzzled at so many people being concerned at using a tablet in the kitchen in case they get dirty. What do you do with cookery books? I'd say it's easier to wipe a tablet clean than a book (says she who has some recipes in books which have clearly been well used!).

Postby miss mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:51 am

Earthmaiden wrote: I'd say it's easier to wipe a tablet clean than a book (says she who has some recipes in books which have clearly been well used!).

I am at the messy end of cookery, I use a laptop for recipes sometimes, kept at the other end of the kitchen, I hope out of the way of spills etc.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:54 am

I print them off. A waste of paper maybe but I keep them if the recipe is a success and the paper has remained fairly clean or ditch them otherwise! I use my phone otherwise.

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'm puzzled at so many people being concerned at using a tablet in the kitchen in case they get dirty. What do you do with cookery books? I'd say it's easier to wipe a tablet clean than a book (says she who has some recipes in books which have clearly been well used!).

I suspect the concern is more about the tablet being damaged (by liquid getting into it etc) rather than it just getting dirty.

Postby Kacey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:20 pm

I quite like the fact that you anyone can look at my cookbooks and see fairly quickly which recipes I've used. I think a few splodges here and there indicate a good book.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:51 pm

I think a few splodges here and there indicate a good book.

Exactly!! :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:05 pm

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:20 pm

good article.
i supplied my kids with the knowledge of how to do stuff before uni - they then, i assume, got their recipes from the internet (a decade or more ago) and, mostly, still do.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Oh yes! I've always thought that about them too.

A student lodger I had lived almost exclusively on tinned pilchards in tomato sauce with pasta - quite a good balance when you think about it!

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:A student lodger I had lived almost exclusively on tinned pilchards in tomato sauce with pasta - quite a good balance when you think about it!

I occasionally do something similar, with a tin of anchovies and a good few capers - it's really tasty if you're in the mood that sort of thing, but not in the mood to spend much time at the stove.

Edited to add, and a small tin of chopped tomtoes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Penne con le sarde - pasta with sardines is a Sicilian classic, and although the original is made with fresh sardines and anchovies in oil there are lots of respectable recipes around using canned sardines, which have the advantage that the bones aren’t a problem

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:30 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Poundland had lots of Jane Asher products when she pruned her range,

Poundland and Jane Asher? Bit surprising? I had no idea they had "brands" like that :?

I have bought JA stuff in Poundland too, but right now can't remember what :roll:

Postby herbidacious » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'm puzzled at so many people being concerned at using a tablet in the kitchen in case they get dirty. What do you do with cookery books? I'd say it's easier to wipe a tablet clean than a book (says she who has some recipes in books which have clearly been well used!).

Books don't break...?! And are cheaper to replace, basically. New iPad (to replace what I have, at least) must be £500 or £600.

The other thing is scrolling down with messy/garlicky fingers. I don't want to be washing my hands all the itme, necessarily.

I confess if I can find a recipe that's in a book I have online, I often print it off and use that instead. :oops: I do try to keep the print out if it's a good one.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 pm

I had no idea iPads were so expensive! (not that I'd recommend ruining one in the kitchen, even if they were cheaper of course!). I think printing off is the ideal solution, although perhaps not eco-friendly.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:19 pm

You can get them more cheaply than that, but I have a geriatric (7 years old) iPad Air which is quite a big one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:26 pm

I think mine was £370 a little over 2 years - I went for large screen, minimum bells and whistles, I bought it from the Apple store on Regent Street, which shopping around on line cost me no more, and included an hour of a lovely young man who understood how to set up the accessibility options

The big step up in price is if you have one that will use a SIM card for data roaming, like a smart phone, and then you have to pay the data charges of course - I wasn't at all sure if I would be missing out by not having this, but I've never really needed it, and it can always share my phone data -- my young friend showed me how to do this

Postby Busybee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Our internet connection is so slow out here, my iPad is almost constantly tethered to my phone.

I have a large data package 80g a month but i need it. I wonder if the wifi speed will improve when the neighbours stop working from home? It proved very difficult for the young teen next door to home school with such a slow connection.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 am

I don't have a SIM card for it.
I got the price from a quick google then look on John Lewis on the basis that it cost me £450 from amazon in 2014, and was I think if not to of the range fairly high up. (Only 32gb though!) There weren't so many models around then.I am pretty sure my mother's cost similar. We bought that for her in about 2016. I'd undoubtedly get something better than that for less now.
But £370 is still a bit pricey, surely (for me, at least) to want to risk it in the kitchen!
That's not to say I don't from time to time. The wet/messy fingers is more the issue. That, and it turning itself off (although I am sure there is a way to stop it doing that.) Mine doesn't have face recognition or fingerprint tech.

But anyway I still prefer books and paper...

Busybee miight be worth checking that there isn't something amiss with your internet. Who do you have?
We've been complaining about our 24 mb download speed (when we both have zoom meetings atthe same time) but some of my colleagues have been labouring with 7 :o Chagning providers seems to have helped.

My sister in law says her father has 1000mb/s! (He used to work in the industry.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:00 am

You can stop it switching off - Settings > Display > Auto lock and pick the time (then remember to turn it back as it will waste battery)

I’ve got my speaker stand, very pleased with it, works very well with speech and pretty good with music. I feel I’m unlikely to accidentally knock the iPad flying or drop things on it,p while it’s on the stand and in fact it will not be handled much once on the stand, as it’s held at a good angle for reading

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 am

Jay turns his attention to Madhur Jaffrey.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ther-world

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox