Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:51 am

I´m like Herbie; nothing like a good solid book, and mine never get thrown out. I need something physical in front of me when I´m cooking a new recipe; a U Tube, an audio or a Kindle version ,just not the same!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I need something physical in front of me when I´m cooking a new recipe;

In what sense is a Kindle not a physical object?

Postby cherrytree » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:16 am

Not exactly books, but I won’t throw them away are my four boxes of the Cordon Bleu Cookery Course circa 1970. If anyone ever needed a lesson or two in how ideas of classic cookery have changed then this is the answer. When I need a bit of entertainment then I look at these in horror. All that piping. All that brown colour in anything. That pretentiousness. I know that Nouvelle Cuisine was a sort of backlash and people laughed, but I can see where it came from.

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
karadekoolaid wrote:I need something physical in front of me when I´m cooking a new recipe;

In what sense is a Kindle not a physical object?

i'm with you there. i realised that whatever you read it on it's still a book when i found myself trying to turn the page of a book i was reading - on a nintendo ds, not even full sized ebook reader.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:08 pm

I worry about damaging my kindle reading devices in the kitchen (although my iPad is on its last legs. I could do with an excuse to buy another... although I suspect husband would just offer me his.)

I'd put my library on the ground floor, but point noted - when I move into my mansion I will make sure the floorboards are reinforced if necessary :) It will be a leather (or faux leather-topped desk and antique-looking lamps affair. One day I will get around to putting my books in order. when I retire? It will be a marvellous but exhausting and dirty job.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 am

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:12 pm

herbidacious wrote:I worry about damaging my kindle reading devices in the kitchen

i've read mine in the bath - using a ziplock bag.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Real Fast Food, Nigel Slater.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... jay-rayner

It occurs to me that Nigel is largely responsible for the current ubiquity of the fish finger sandwiches :D

Postby mistakened » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:18 pm

I have an "International" cookery book published in 1940 in Cyprus. It really is a paperback. There are some truly dreadful recipes in there plus some good ones, a proper recipe for potato gnocchi. The recipe for moussaka uses twice the quantity of aubergines to minced meat. There are some cocktail recipes at the back of the book , what is described as a Ladies Cocktail uses one glass of orange juice to two glasses of gin, plus ice and a cherry.
Quantities are given as Okes equal to 2 4/5 lb
I have another book with instructions for rendering the fat from a sheep's tail

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 pm

I heard of fat tailed sheep and rendering the tail fat, but never saw one until they were on tv recently

Those tails are fat - like cushions, not the little tails on normal sheep

Postby miss mouse » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:31 pm

herbidacious wrote:I worry about damaging my kindle reading devices in the kitchen (although my iPad is on its last legs. I could do with an excuse to buy another... although I suspect husband would just offer me his.)

Just buy one Herbie, or both, you earn your own money. Husband sounds like a very difficult man to live with. You sound like a 50s housewife dependent woman.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Books made of paper everytime for me - my poor eyes spend enough time in front of screens, so don't need any more, besides I like the smell & feel of a book & turning pages, very reassuring - Kindles just don't do it for me.

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:03 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Books made of paper everytime for me - my poor eyes spend enough time in front of screens, so don't need any more, besides I like the smell & feel of a book & turning pages, very reassuring - Kindles just don't do it for me.

Yes, you can write in the margins of a cookbook little notes/hints for use next time. It's books for me every time.

Miss Mouse, maybe you don't realise, but your comments about herbi are a teensy bit rude. :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm

Since One More Cheeky One mentioned them on another thread I'm now looking at an iPad stand that would also work as a speaker, which would be very handy as my kitchen is a radio/phone signal black hole but picks up my wifi

The only ones I'd seen previously were the likes of Bose, lovely but a tad pricey at £200+

But for less than £20 I can get either a rechargeable speaker that works on Bluetooth and is shaped to work as a stand, or I can get one I have to plug in but which is actually a docking station that also keeps the iPad or iPhone charged

Think I've just talked myself into the Bluetooth one - it's another darn thing to recharge but no trailing wires, and possibly less to go wrong, docking connectors can be a bit meh

Probably this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... =pd_gw_unk

The other advantages of a stand are that I'm obviously going to be able to read it more easily, and I'm far less likely to spill stuff on it or to put a hot pan down on it; or indeed to mislay it

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:40 pm

I've noticed no-one mentions Jane Asher as a baker worth following. Were her recipes/books any good?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Binky wrote:I've noticed no-one mentions Jane Asher as a baker worth following. Were her recipes/books any good?

I've always though of her as more of cake decorator than a baker, so not that interesting to me and perhaps not to others either

Her website seems to support this view
https://www.janeasher.co.uk/about/

Poundland had lots of Jane Asher products when she pruned her range, very pleased with my gorgeous duck egg blue individual lasagne dishes, which I happily sling in the freezer as I 'm not massively concerned about cracking them, though in fact I think they are good quality and would take a lot of punishment

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Think I've just talked myself into the Bluetooth one - it's another darn thing to recharge but no trailing wires, and possibly less to go wrong, docking connectors can be a bit meh

Probably this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... =pd_gw_unk

The other advantages of a stand are that I'm obviously going to be able to read it more easily, and I'm far less likely to spill stuff on it or to put a hot pan down on it; or indeed to mislay it

Sounds good, Sue :thumbsup Hope it does what it says :D

Stokey Sue wrote:Poundland had lots of Jane Asher products when she pruned her range,

Poundland and Jane Asher? Bit surprising? I had no idea they had "brands" like that :?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 pm

miss mouse wrote:
herbidacious wrote:I worry about damaging my kindle reading devices in the kitchen (although my iPad is on its last legs. I could do with an excuse to buy another... although I suspect husband would just offer me his.)

Just buy one Herbie, or both, you earn your own money. Husband sounds like a very difficult man to live with. You sound like a 50s housewife dependent woman.

Miss Mouse, what can I say? We don't spend large amounts of money without consulting one another. This is not a question of asking for permission. Given that we have a joint bank account it seems the respectful thing to do. But it's true, I do struggle with his stinginess sometimes, but if I really want/need something, he will capitulate. I am not sure I really need a new iPad until it is completely kaputt. I may not have to wait that much longer.

Right, I'll just go and put my pinny on and take my rollers out. Don't want to be late putting dinner on the table...

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:04 am

This sounds as though it could be the Indian equivalent of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Partiti ... 146&sr=8-1

Postby miss mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:42 am

herbidacious wrote:. I am not sure I really need a new iPad until it is completely kaputt. I may not have to wait that much longer.

I expect you have back-ups, this house had an expected laptop disaster, it was known to be on the way out but still a surprise and melodrama.

How do you all keep them clean when using them to follow a recipe? Mine would be covered in mess in no time.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox