Register

Brunch

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Brunch

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:55 pm

My 'brunch' will be very small and informal and don't think needs much of that kind of thing this time. The thread was more out of interest to see what people liked for such an occasion- and what a variety!

It'll be three ladies who pretend to watch their weight and a child who shouldn't fill up her tummy and then not want anything else. There won't be alcohol which needs soaking up either, one teetotal and one driving! I might pinch PP's line & yuzu drink recipe from another thread though. It looked nice. My family are like gannets with canapes etc. We'll save the calories for the main event :lol:.

I'm sure that others might like to hear your ideas though - and maybe we will all refer to this at a later date! I seem to remember that we all ask for such suggestions in the run up to Christmas - but there probably won't be so many social events this year :( .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Yes, I think once you are a member you can just renew every year ... I used to be able to get one when I was employed by Hilton (they did a sales drive in the office ) ...but once that has lapsed, what do you do then ? Having said that, I have a couple of friends who would certainly have a trade card so I could always jog along with them :thumbsup

ooops, this was in respond to PP's post about Costco ... I thought mine was the next post :roll: :oops:

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Earthenmaiden, I wasn't personally thinking of any elaborate things, just a simple demitasse cup of soup or tsatsiki with breadsticks. A palate cleanser can be useful after garlic or fishy things, e.g. granita, although that refreshing lime and yuzu drink might well have that covered already :)

Re Costco, you can (or could) wander in and look around as a non-member which I did as a card was offered to me once. Prices didn't seem that different from shop prices such that I'd want the large quantity. That is if the price displayed is that which members actually pay. No doubt there are "specials" worth looking out for.

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:46 pm

My sister has a Costco card and I sometimes (pre-Covid) go there with her. She always has to show her card to be allowed to go in and they usually scrutinise it quite closely. There is a cafe there and people are allowed to go into that without a card (it's accessed via the normal exit door). You could go into the warehouse from the cafe but couldn't buy anything as you have to scan your card at the till when paying.
You need to be knowledgeable about prices - some things are a very similar price to "normal" shops but they do stock things that are hard to get elsewhere. I sometimes find it's easier/more convenient to buy in bulk even if the price is similar to the shops. They can be quite good on more expensive, non-food, items like tvs and the branch that we go to is very good about accepting returns.

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm

A local(ish) butcher has started selling "brunch cups". They are sausage meat shaped into a thick puck with a button of haggis or black pudding popped in the centre. A rasher of streaky bacon is then wrapped round the outside. They are then baked for 20-25 minutes. Easy enough to replicate at home and ideal I would think for a brunch crowd.

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm

They sound nice especially with an egg cracked in . Sometimes I make bacon wrapped in the inner part of a muffin hole , crack an egg in then bake .

Another one I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned is eggs bread or French toast depending how posh you are . I like it both savoury and sweet

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

Oh they sound good Amy.
I do like French toast, the savoury version for me please.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox