Register

dehydrator (dehumidifier).

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: dehydrator (dehumidifier).

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 pm

no problem.
if they were muck spreading next door i would muse over it but even that air would have to get through the house and into the closed room where the dehumidifier was - and then through the filters - but i would rush out and get any washing in!
yes, we have very clean air. few roads and no fume producing industry (unless you count tourists) between us and the ocean!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:22 pm

I am now wondering if I should have a go at dehydrating tomatoes, as (sorry to rub it in) I have more than I can sensibily eat and/or freeze, and don't feel confident bottling. But will they be nice...?!

Any other suggestions? How would I go about making s-d paste. I could probably squeeze some of that in the freezer...

Do you take the seeds out? Skins off?

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:39 pm

i think, if i were having a go at tomatoes, i would scoop out the seeds and associated flesh from the centre of the tomato but leave the outer flesh with skin on. maybe i'll have a go at one to see how that works.

Postby DEB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 am

Here is a link as to how to do "sun dried tomatoes".

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 am

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

In this house, tomatoes are slowly roasted until they're a bit shrivelled, before freezing them. Many more can be crammed into each container than if they were fresh. Upon defrosting there is still liquid issuing forth from them. Liquidising them (the defrosted ones, skin, pips and all) ) with a stick blender makes a perfectly good paste.

In fact, as this is typed, the thought 'why don't you try it with tomatillos?' runs through my head. :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:21 am

Great minds DEB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:38 am

I googled it and found varying adivice on removal of skin/seeds etc. hence my asking. I had decided to over dry though.

When I make may passata I roast them until they are semi-dried out and much reduced before running through the passata 'press'. (I cut them into halves or more, if very big, and they are run through the press, seeds, skins and all. I gather the skins contain a lot of flavour. If you run them through the press more than three times some seeds get through, though.) They taste better that way. A few hours at 140C with thefan on, though, rather than a really low temperature. (I realize I cook most things at 140C...)

Are you growing tomatillos, BM?

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:49 am

What a clever idea scully, one I may well be having a go at thanks. I do have a dehydrator but it's not brilliant and like you have a dehumidifer running most of the time. :D
herbi, the "waste" from making passata can be dehydrated then finely ground to make a powder which can be used in place of tomato puree or added to marinades, bread etc. I keep meaning to make it instead buying it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:18 am

Scully mentioned making tomato powder on another thread. I'd never heard of it before that but it sounds a great way of using the remains.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4723&p=97952&hilit=tomato+powder#p97952

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks EM,
It really is a handy thing to have in your store cupboard, I usually buy my online from "Tongmaster" https://www.tongmaster.co.uk/tomato-powder-500g-tm01612 but really should knuckle down and make it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:52 pm

The first thing about sundried tomatoes is... you need lots of sun. I´ve made them over here in the tropics and they take about 3 days to dry out. (I bring them in at night)
The second thing is - what type of tomato to use. A typical Italian Roma tomato is probably the most common, and that´s what I use. Small cherry tomatoes would work but will take less time.
The easiest way (if you aren´t blessed with lots of sunshine) is to cut the tomatoes in half, sprinkle generously with salt ( don´t skimp on this bit), place them cut side up on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and put them in the oven, on very low heat for about 7-8 hours. Of course it will depend on what kind of tomato you are using, so take a look at the tray from time to time; if you think the tomatoes are dry enough, then take them out. They won´t all dry at exactly the same time and you do NOT want to leave them in there too long - they become bitter when they´re too dry.
Remove the skin? The seeds? No, don´t waste your time; cut in half, sprinkle with salt, ready. Unless, of course, you want to make Heston´s Confit Tomatoes, which are absolutely and utterly divine, but a bit fussy to make.
Once you sundried/ovendried tomatoes are ready, you can keep them in a paper bag in the cupboard, until you want to use them. Here are some I made a couple of months ago.
Sundried Toms.JPG
Sundried Toms.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3246 times
I quickly rehydrated the tomatoes in boiling water (this also helps to remove some of the excess salt; then let them drain a while on kitchen paper. The jar contains a layer of tomatoes, then black peppercorns, a few slices of garlic, oregano, a bay leaf and a few capers. Olive oil/sunflower seed oil mixed together. Keep layering like that until the jar is full.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Are you growing tomatillos, BM?

My first ripe fruit of the season was harvested today. :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 pm

You´re very fortunate, BM - my tomatillo plant was attacked by some fungus/virus/whatever, and the fruit never made it.
I did rescue a few, though, if only to show you the similarities between tomatillos and Cape Gooseberries:
Tomatillos & Cape gooseberries.jpg

Tomatillos on the left, Cape Gooseberries on the right.

Once you harvest the tomatillos they can be frozen. Straight away, and then you can use them to make Salsa Verde.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Ooh I used to buy tomato powder from an excellent herb and spice stall on Exmouth Market, before the market went all hipster take away food only. Assuming I don't try to ake any, I shall order some of that. Thanks, LTC.

I bet that's (jar of s-d toms) delicious, Clive.

I did once try to grow tomatillos, but it didn't work, for some reason.

I have a lot of cape gooseberries waiting to be picked from plants I overwintered from last year. (Usually wouldn't have many ready just yet.)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am

There is a stratum of last year's tomatillos in our freezer, I need to get some pork chilli verde cooked this week. I sometimes roast them before freezing, sometimes not, depending upon mood and time pressure.

I've never had any trouble growing them. I never used to be able to grow beetroot in Edmonton, fine now, but turnips and swedes are a challenge these days and radishes are just there to mark the rows of parsnips. Soil, I suppose, something's not right anyway. Apart from not getting a good crop of swedes it doesn't bother me too much.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox